How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

Hey fellow tech heads, I have a simple question for you guys. How did you guys save up for you PC? By that I mean did you have a part time job and save 20% or did you walk the dog and saved forever? I'm looking for ideas to buy some computer parts. I'm almost going be in jail for murder with this crappy laptop. Thanks!

why no poll

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I called up my parents and they let me bank out on the blade. ezpz

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Work and birthday money

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I use the YNAB (You Need A Budget) method and it made a huge difference.

I look forward to when an upgrade product is to be launched and split the budget across months.

If it's $500 and the upgrade is coming out in 10 months that's $50 per month. Having money set aside in a "bucket" versus making decisions based on your balance made a huge difference. No stress and happier when you get what you wanted and waited for!

I got myself a job cleaning vans for a friend of my Dad. I earn like £5 an hour. Luckily, since I'm only 16, I don't have bills or anything to pay, so all of my income can go towards the PC. My Dad's also giving me some money (between £500 and $750) based on my exam grades, which we find out on August 21st D:

So yeah I haven't actually saved up for it quite yet, but I'm getting there!

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

How do you wait 2 years though mate? 

The same way I am. Looking through other's build guide/completions, drooling with envy and a (near) empty bank account. It's been a tough (almost) three years now. Though, hopefully I'm going to pull the trigger late 2014/early 2015 (it's going to end up being mid april, I just know it) and get broadwell + DDR4 + nvidia 800 series.

I've been saving up my job as well as birthday/christmas/graduation money, though, college is expensive man!

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

"What do you want for Christmas?"

"Money."

"What do you want for your birthday?"

"Money."

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

i didn't, my step dad gave me his old PC and it needed an HDD and GPU so my mom bought those and I just bought a monitor with what little i had left, now I have $39 and i should probably get a job or something :S

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

No job right now, so I'm selling gear I never use, and buying and fixing up computers to sell on eBay. 

used my graduation money but only spend $650 of it then a few months later bought the GTX670 which was like $400 on release date and thats what I paid

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

If you don't already have a decent amount of money saved up, a part time job is probably your best bet.  Luckily for me, when I wanted to build a PC, I had enough saved up to the point that I only needed $200 more.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

A few years living on ~2USD (converted) a day worked... But seriously... The base system of my build (crap case + crap psu + GA-F2A55M-DS2 + A8-5600K + 4GB RAM + DVD+RW drive + 18.5" Samsung monitor + A4Tech Keyboard+mouse combo) was a prebuild that had all the parts that I needed and was cheaper by 10USD than buying the parts individually (monitor, keyboard, and mouse included)... So the purchase went like this: 80% from savings from cash gifts, the rest from personal daily savings...

i asked my parents for money and they gave it to me

:D

W-w-w-wait..they GAVE you money...actually GAVE you. dsyu gofghdasidsa sd x WHY DON'T MY PARENTS GIVE ME MONEY :C

When paid bi-weekly, there are usually 2 months each year in which you receive 3 paychecks instead of 2. This year, for me, those months are January and August. Since all my bills are covered by the usual 2 paychecks those months, the 3rd paycheck is basically treated like a bonus and gets used to splurge on something. My last job, we also received a bi-annual profit sharng that worked out to being almost equal to a regular paycheck.

That said, I don't usually budget for anything, I just buy what I can afford at the time I need to buy something. It helps to keep cost of living low. My advice for any youngsters is to live at home with your parents as long as you can possibly tolerate. I didn't move out until I was 30, and even then, only after I had paid off my car in full.

One word: Donations. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

LOL, I tried that once, my parent's gave me $30 in $1's to make it seem like more than it was. :lol:

"What do you want for Christmas?"

"Money."

"What do you want for your birthday?"

"Money."

My mom's boyfriend owns his own lawncare business, so I worked my butt off with him and saved up about 1200 and then bummed about 400 off of my family and later paid them back

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.1GHz  • XSPC Raystorm • FrozenQ 250mm Liquid Fusion • 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB • Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Intel 730 Series 240GB • ASTRO A40 Audio Solution • D-Link N-150

• 2 months later...

This is aimed for at people around my age, that can't get a job yet. I'm 15 and I babysit my little sister for money. What do you guys do?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

at 15 i would have saved all my pocket money / looked for a job in a supermarket or a fast food place, now i just cry and spend all my money from working full time

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

I repair/build computers for people. Just yesterday I made $100 for going to a local business and connecting their new computers to the office's network and drives.

Easy for me, looks like magic to them :D.