Seven people own the keys to switch off the internet.

ijKs Snow

Not sure if this posted before, but I couldn't find it here.

Original Source

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/28/seven-people-keys-worldwide-internet-security-web

Very interesting read. I suggest reading the full article.

Basically, ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigning Names and Numbers) made an "on/off" switch for the DNS (Domain Name System).

ICANN assigns websites an address (ex. linustechtips.com is the address. without it, we would have to type in a series of numbers for the IP address of this website.)

ICANN made 7 PHYSICAL keys given to 7 individuals (unknown who they are) who work at different internet security institutions all over the world. The keys individually does nothing, but if you are able to collect all 7 keys it will form a new key. The new key will open a safety deposit box (location unknown) which contains a key card that can generate a new master key. There are another 7 BACK-UP key given to another set of 7 individuals all over the world who hold key cards that will generate a back up key. So 14 people in total.

Each year, each key holder must send ICANN a photo of themselves with the physical key in one hand, and the current day's newspaper in the other hand.

Technically, shutting down the DNS is not going to turn off the internet, but it will be equivalent of blocking all the roads to get to your destinations. To get to a website, you type in the address which the DNS is responsible for. Turning it off would mean people will have to type in the IP address of the website they want to visit.

Sounds like a movie plot, but it's interesting to know that there are actual physical keys to the roads of the internet.

Technically, shutting down the DNS is not going to turn off the internet, but it will be equivalent of blocking all the roads to get to your destinations.

It would actually be like taking all the road names off the street signs rather than blocking the roads as you can still use the roads, you just don't know which one.

Anyway the whole things sounds bloody corny and made up.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can't wait for teksyndicate to respond to that.....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Michael Bay film incoming.... expect explosions.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

It would actually be like taking all the road names off the street signs rather than blocking the roads as you can still use the roads, you just don't know which one.

Anyway the whole things sounds bloody corny and made up.

Yeah, when I first read it 2 weeks ago, it sounded like some hoax. But, there doesn't seem to be any article to refute the story. Still interesting.

Yeah, when I first read it 2 weeks ago, it sounded like some hoax. But, there doesn't seem to be any article to refute the story. Still interesting.

Not saying it is or isn't, just that is sounds like it.  They may as well have said, "there is a secret key that turns off the net, the Janitor keeps it on the second shelf on the right behind the toilet cleaner."

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not saying it is or isn't, just that is sounds like it.  They may as well have said, "there is a secret key that turns off the net, the Janitor keeps it on the second shelf on the right behind the toilet cleaner."

No one would look there. :lol:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Is there one key to rule them all? :P

The funny part is there most likely is.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Is there one key to rule them all? :P

7 were given to the men, wisest and fairest, trusted to guard the secret.

and 7 more, to those who didn't quite make the first cut.

This whole thing sounds like a video game plot.

A mysterious man hires you to find the seven keys through any means necessary, after you do he shuts down the DNS.

You must then find the back up seven to restore balance to the world.

I wonder what situation would require them to basically disable the internet?

I wonder what situation would require them to basically disable the internet?

your display picture? :P haha that would make me shut off the internet

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The name's Bond, James Bond

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Consider my mind blown (if it's true) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

ILLUMINATI

10 - 7 = 3

HL3 CONFIRMED

M6YxxLe.jpg

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini