The Problem with Kickstarters... - Eve Spectrum First Look

James

I enjoyed the video, it was rather interesting and good for you guys to tell us the issues the company behind the product has.

Some people in this thread seem to confuse two separate issues with the video titles.

Just to make my stance clear from the beginning: the video title is fine (the one on YouTube, without the "Even Spectrum first look")

The two separate issues are:

- Clickbait

- Not mentioning the product in the title, to be (easily) able to find the video on it later.

Clickbait:

This title is not clickbait, because the video directly addresses the title; the issues with certain Kickstarter projects.

Things like non-delivery, very long waiting times, little to no information for the consumer after they backed the campaign, etc.

Finding the video later:

If people want to "find that one video from LTT about that one product" in the future, it is harder with these sorts of titles, which don't mention the product name. You only have the "clickable title" and the thumbnail to go off.

Conclusion:

It's important that we as a community give constructive criticism to LTT videos, thumbnails and titles.

I've seen people in this thread complain about clickbait, without telling us why it's clickbait.

This video isn't all about that product, the product merely served as a bridge between different issues Kickstarter products have. No, this video isn't about all Kickstarter campaigns and the numerous possible issues, only about issues with this and the company's previous campaign.

People seem to be confusing "clickbait" with "the product name isn't in the title", which are completely separate issues. Merging the two into one will only muddy the waters, in terms of our message - as a community - towards our issues with the title.

Let's not scream "Clickbait!!" (especially before watching the video, not a single minute after the topic is posted), but rather watch the video and provide criticism why you think it's clickbait.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Linus complains about Displayport in this video but I did not know that there was any controversy about the connector. Does anyone know where I can find reading materials on what is bad about the connector?

8 minutes ago, Vilde said:

Linus complains about Displayport in this video but I did not know that there was any controversy about the connector. Does anyone know where I can find reading materials on what is bad about the connector?

He doesn't like the locking mechanism iirc (even though he praised it in his VGA vs. DVI vs. HDMI vs. DisplayPort video...)

elephants

I like EVE's industrial design. Its nice and professional and doesn't scream "gamer" at me. 

The tech specs on that thing aren't as great as a year ago, but they are still cutting edge.

Those production quality issues are yikes. Hopefully they sort them out before they ship to backers.

I am glad I dodged a bullet with the Eve V and got a Microsoft Surface instead. Their last Kickstarter was a shitshow.

3 hours ago, minibois said:

- Not mentioning the product in the title, to be (easily) able to find the video on it later.

That's my main problem.

As for the click bait, this is the first video I find to be of that offense. 99% of all other LTT videos are not click bait, only click enticing.
If it just said what the video was with the hyphen, then yeah, it wouldn't be click bait & I'd be perfectly fine with the title because I'd know it's about a specific product and what the product is.

8 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I have watched it.

My title:
"Eve Spectrum First Impressions".

No sort of waffling around, getting you to want to watch it.

Just an honest description of what the video is about.

Yeah. That give a hint at some of the content. But it's only part. Maybe I could see switching it around to "Eve spectrum review-- this is the problem with kickstarters"

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

16 hours ago, fpo said:

That's my main problem.

As for the click bait, this is the first video I find to be of that offense. 99% of all other LTT videos are not click bait, only click enticing.
If it just said what the video was with the hyphen, then yeah, it wouldn't be click bait & I'd be perfectly fine with the title because I'd know it's about a specific product and what the product is.

It's important we, as a community, tell LTT what is wrong with their titles (when we feel like they're wrong), instead of just calling it clickbait.

I wasn't calling out you by the way. You explaining your point of view through the second post you made on this topic, linking that thread of yours explaining dissatisfaction with them not including the product name in the title.

I agree with you, they should include the name in reviews. I think in the case of this video, the product wasn't the main focus, just something to further the narrative, so I don't 100%  think they have to have the product name in the title.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i think this there are cheaper version of eve @ prism