The Problem with Kickstarters... - Eve Spectrum First Look

James

Buy ASUS ROG Strix XG17AHPE (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/3F30WfB

Buy ASUS ROG Swift PG259QN (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/QyEfT

Buy Samsung Odyssey G7 (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Wegv

Buy Samsung Odyssey G9 (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/C5ToiOI

Buy LG Ultragear 27GL850-B (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ue7o

The Eve Spectrum has been a hotly anticipated monitor for well over a year now- and FINALLY we've got our hands on one (the 4K, 144hz version. But is it still exciting after all this time?

2 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

Again?

It's LTT YouTube standard, I guess.

I can't really hate them for it (they're playing the YouTube strategy game) but it's a bit annoying.

elephants

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

More clickbait...
Yay...

Have you watched the video?

That's actually a pretty descriptive title for what the video is about. What title would you have given it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

That's actually a pretty descriptive title for what the video is about. What title would you have given it?

I have watched it.

My title:
"Eve Spectrum First Impressions".

No sort of waffling around, getting you to want to watch it.

Just an honest description of what the video is about.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I have watched it.

My title:
"Eve Spectrum First Impressions".

No sort of waffling around, getting you to want to watch it.

Just an honest description of what the video is about.

It's also about the fact the Eve monitor is a kickstarter product and part of the video even touches on that and the fact that with better monitors and what they've seen so far it doesn't live up to the kickstarter hype. Seriously, this is not a clickbait title.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

It's also about the fact the Eve monitor is a kickstarter product and part of the video even touches on that and the fact that with better monitors and what they've seen so far it doesn't live up to the kickstarter hype. Seriously, this is not a clickbait title.

Guess we agree to disagree in this case.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Guess we agree to disagree in this case.

If they named it "ULTRA HYPER REAL MONITORZZ!!!!! EVE SPECTRUM IS AMAZING OR IZ IT?!?!?!" then I'd see it being clickbait the but whole issue with the Eve Spectrum is that it's a Kickstarter that took FOREVER to launch, ie: the problem with them. Seriously, you're trying to nitpick just for the sake of complaining at this point. Enticing people to click on a video is not clickbait if the title is honest about what's being discussed, ie: the problem with kickstarters AND their impression of the monitor. They didn't say anything grandiose or misleading in the title, that would have been clickbait.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Exactly. There's a pretty strong narrative of the video that the problem with this product (and others) being Kickstarters is they make claims about future products that sound good at the time when the kickstarter is first announced, but in the years it takes for them to be funded, designed, built, and delivered the features they offer are already available on the market from competitors - and unlike Kickstarters which often fail to deliver you can just order them from a store and actually get them.

As far as the Eve Spectrum monitor that was tested in this video goes it's not even really that interesting as a topic, though that's partially because in true Kickstarter fashion Eve didn't deliver the model they actually wanted. 

What makes the video interesting is the commentary on Kickstarter projects, not some half finished monitor from a company people shouldn't buy from.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I seem to be the only person in the world to notice that the Acer ConceptD 4k/144hz monitors exist (using one right now)

A great alternative to the LG 4K

as for the title - perfectly fine. I really don't get why people get pissy about this "level of clickbait" 

58 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

More clickbait...
Yay...

Nah. The title of this video describes exactly what you're getting in the video.

A first look at a monitor, along with why backing a kickstarter for a tech product like this is problematic.

That title where they pretended they were gonna crap all over M1 Macbooks, along with a disappointed thumbnail only to say the exact opposite... THAT was clickbait. Nothing about it matched the content of the video. If you start thinking everything is clickbait, you're going to have a miserable time on YT.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Nah. The title of this video describes exactly what you're getting in the video.

A first look at a monitor, along with why backing a kickstarter for a tech product like this is problematic.

That title where they pretended they were gonna crap all over M1 Macbooks, along with a disappointed thumbnail only to say the exact opposite... THAT was clickbait. Nothing about it matched the content of the video. If you start thinking everything is clickbait, you're going to have a miserable time on YT.

Do I think everything is clickbait? No.

Am I allowed to see things differently than other people? Yes.

elephants

10 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Do I think everything is clickbait? No.

Am I allowed to see things differently than other people? Yes.

No you aren't. This is the internet.

1 hour ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

The EVE monitor wasn't linked in the description- is that intentional?

I would guess so - LTT learned a lesson last time with another EVE product, as the earlier product weren't really known for delivery on time, and almost bordered to vaporware. (And still is, with many people waiting on refunds)

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

That's not in the title.

It's just "The Problem with Kickstarters" which would lead one to believe it to be a commentary on kickstarters in general. Not an examination of a specific sample.

Have you looked on youtube? Their title on the forum is not the same as on youtube. They gave it a clickbait title there, as usual.

image.png.b842a1aa3696c97f436a2c23a3e3a1d2.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I think I might just drop a link to my thread in every video I feel has an inappropriate title as protest.

7 minutes ago, fpo said:

That's not in the title.

It's just "The Problem with Kickstarters" which would lead one to believe it to be a commentary on kickstarters in general. Not an examination of a specific sample.

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Have you looked on youtube? Their title on the forum is not the same as on youtube. They gave it a clickbait title there, as usual.

Even so I still don't think that title is an issue.

From my earlier comment:

What makes the video interesting is the commentary on Kickstarter projects, not some half finished monitor from a company people shouldn't buy from.

Yes, the video takes a look at the monitor, but it also provides commentary on Kickstarter projects.

I'm all for calling out bad/clickbait titles such as the recent "Apple made a big mistake" video and every awful title of tech quickie videos. I don't think this is one of the bad titles though. 

LTT will likely update the YouTube video in a day or two to the title shown in the forum. 

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

LTT will likely update the YouTube video in a day or two to the title shown in the forum. 

Why don't they just put the right title the first time? @LinusTech it's annoying.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

Why don't they just put the right title the first time? @LinusTech it's annoying.

a little thing called money

did you enjoy the video ? 

this title is not in the slight clickbait, the title is descriptive of the video content

As stated by others, the ones where it's "APPLE MADE A BIG MISTAKE" even I will call out for being BS

This is perfectly fine. 

Just now, ultrabluex said:

a little thing called money

I know that. I was asking more as a statement to stop.

did you enjoy the video ? 

No. It wasn't what I was expecting. It was more of a cash grab video as they were just like "Hey, this beta product is still not fully functional." I stopped watching half-way through.

this title is not in the slight clickbait, the title is descriptive of the video content

Not for at least the first half of the video.

As stated by others, the ones where it's "APPLE MADE A BIG MISTAKE" even I will call out for being BS

I am annoyed by a lot of titles being made recently.

This is perfectly fine. 

Not to me. I want to be told what the video is. Not mislead/artificially enticed.

LTT does need to put in the title what the product is but this isn't clickbate.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs