R5 5600X vs R5 3600 - Worth $200 difference? [AUS]

Go to solution Solved by Gamer Schnitzel,

Get a 3600 and keep it even if the prices go down on the 5600. There is no point to spend money needlessly. Just because there is a new generation it doesn't mean that you must buy the new products instead. The 5600X is too powerful for a 3060 Ti and there is no need whatsoever to get one. The most important factor when it comes to gaming is the GPU. The 5600X is not going to magically boost your fps to another level.

What you said about CPU and high resolution does not matter here. You probably heard that in videos where they used a RTX 3090 on 1080p. If you want to have hundreds and hundreds of FPS you need a top end CPU at 1080p but this is not relevant here in a "normal" gaming setup. It's for tryhards who think getting 360 FPS on Counterstrike will make them better players.

You can check benchmarks and see that the 5600X increases the fps only slightly over the 3600 and that isn't worth the additional $200 especially since a 3600 is more than good enough to be paired with a 3060 Ti.

I couldn't find a post with Australian prices (which are always super jacked up) so created this one.

My PC is going to be used for gaming, some video editing and some 3D work. I have a b550 mb, couple of 1080p monitors (one of them 144Hz) and a 3060ti.

I have sorted out everything else but just needed some help with my CPU.

I could get the 3600 at around AU$320 and the 5600x at around AU$529 with a queue time of 4-6 weeks. If I pay AU$550, I could have it delivered (according to MightyApe) by 25 Jan, although idk how accurate that is. I've looked at benchmark stats and the pros and cons but still wanted to get an outside opinion.

I guess my final question is, Is it worth paying $200 more for the 5600x? Or should I buy a 3600 and keep it? Or sell it when prices for the 5600x (hopefully) drop down?

This is probably a stupid questions but here goes: I read that a better CPU makes less off a difference at higher resolutions so could I render the game at a slightly higher resolution with the 3600 and then downscale it to remove the CPU bottleneck or is that just dumb?

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you for your time! First time here so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

I couldn't find a post with Australian prices (which are always super jacked up) so created this one.

My PC is going to be used for gaming, some video editing and some 3D work. I have a b550 mb, couple of 1080p monitors (one of them 144Hz) and a 3060ti.

I could get the 3600 at around AU$320 and the 5600x at around AU$529 with a queue time of 4-6 weeks. If I pay AU$550, I could have it delivered (according to MightyApe) by 25 Jan, although idk how accurate that is. I've looked at benchmark stats and the pros and cons but still wanted to get an outside opinion.

I guess my final question is, Is it worth paying $200 more for the 5600x? Or should I buy a 3600 and keep it? Or sell it when prices for the 5600x (hopefully) drop down?

This is probably a stupid questions but here goes: I read that a better CPU makes less off a difference at higher resolutions so could I render the game at a slightly higher resolution with the 3600 and then downscale it to remove the CPU bottleneck or is that just dumb?

Thank you for your time! First time here so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

1 minute ago, musehd said:

The 5600x is overpriced. 520 aud is equal too 400usd, where the 5600x normally retails for 300usd.

normally, the $100 is worth it due to the massive gains in single core and multi core performance, but $200? It’s not worth it there.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

worth it? yes and no. 3600 is still one of the best price to performance cpus. the 5600x will likely be next in line for this title. the 5600x is defnitely faster but not $200 faster

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

Get a 3600 and keep it even if the prices go down on the 5600. There is no point to spend money needlessly. Just because there is a new generation it doesn't mean that you must buy the new products instead. The 5600X is too powerful for a 3060 Ti and there is no need whatsoever to get one. The most important factor when it comes to gaming is the GPU. The 5600X is not going to magically boost your fps to another level.

What you said about CPU and high resolution does not matter here. You probably heard that in videos where they used a RTX 3090 on 1080p. If you want to have hundreds and hundreds of FPS you need a top end CPU at 1080p but this is not relevant here in a "normal" gaming setup. It's for tryhards who think getting 360 FPS on Counterstrike will make them better players.

You can check benchmarks and see that the 5600X increases the fps only slightly over the 3600 and that isn't worth the additional $200 especially since a 3600 is more than good enough to be paired with a 3060 Ti.

I suggest to wait, prices everywhere are terrible right now.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

13 minutes ago, musehd said:

This thread appears to have been double posted... OP, please be aware.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

This thread appears to have been double posted... OP, please be aware.

Oh yeah I tried to add tags later but then it just duplicated for some reason :/

10 minutes ago, musehd said:

Oh yeah I tried to add tags later but then it just duplicated for some reason :/

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

That should cover Australasian pricing...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

That should cover Australasian pricing...

I've already used au.pcpartpicker.com/ to build my system with Au prices but since the cpu's not in stock anywhere , I have to manually check for the price at different outlets.

1 minute ago, musehd said:

I've already used au.pcpartpicker.com/ to build my system with Au prices but since the cpu's not in stock anywhere , I have to manually check for the price at different outlets.

Newer CPU's & GPU's - even AMD 3xxx ones - are in very high demand world-wide... as was advised above, patience will be required for pricing & availability to stabilise.

WHY NOT...?!

Okay, seems like I won't be buying the 5600X... Should I just go for the tried and trusted R5 3600 for AU$320 (U$245)? It's in stock where I live. Or should I go for a slightly better CPU?

3 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Will the 3600 be able to comfortably handle basic 3d work, 1080p video editing and some 4k editing?