Is my PSU causing my computer to lag and have audio issues?

dsluss

Hi, 

I have an EVGA 3070 XC3, ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb 3600mhz ram, and a 850w power supply (https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gp-p850gm-850w/p/N82E16817233032?Item=N82E16817233032). I use a USB headset that does not have this problem on a different computer. 

Recently, there is crackling/popping audio even when no audio is playing. This problem becomes significantly worse when I play demanding games. When the audio crackles/pops the FPS of the game decreases dramatically (Ex: 240fps --> 40 fps). I have the newest drivers, windows update and temperatures are good. This is the GPU-Z sensor readout after playing for about 10-15 mins of Jedi fallen order. http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/12/30/z8y.png 

Does the GPU-Z look normal? Why does the voltage fluctuate so much? Is my PSU the problem or something else? 

Thanks in advance 

i mean gigabyte psus are bad. but I dont think the psu causes audio problems.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i mean gigabyte psus are bad. but I dont think the psu causes audio problems.

I was under the impression of a PSU messing up could cause the audio crackling/popping? 

My crappy Evga G3 makes audio noises like that. But never had fps problems. Isn't that Giga psu on tier E https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750-w/10.html

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

8 minutes ago, Ralf said:

My crappy Evga G3 makes audio noises like that. But never had fps problems. Isn't that Giga psu on tier E https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750-w/10.html

Oh dear. When I bought it I looked at the tier list and saw the AP-GM in tier B. I now realize I don't have a AP-GM but just a P-GM which is E tier...

Is your audio problem from the PSU itself or like through speakers/headphones?

it could be coil whine, or something similar, it's weird the fps drop like that, but it does sound like it may be related, so just get a better psu and see if it fixes it. 

Otherwise probably RMA the gpu 

2 hours ago, dsluss said:

Does the GPU-Z look normal?

it actually does look normal, what's important for you mostly is the gpu voltage and that looks very even... 

doesn't change the above, something appears to be not working properly, and it does sound like it could be a low quality psu causing it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

it could be coil whine, or something similar, it's weird the fps drop like that, but it does sound like it may be related, so just get a better psu and see if it fixes it. 

Otherwise probably RMA the gpu 

Just went out and got a better PSU. Will try it later tonight. The popping noise is like through my headphones not coil wine. I really don’t want to rma my new gpu... but it might come to that. Any clue how an rma would go for a 3070 with stock so low? Lol

14 minutes ago, dsluss said:

The popping noise is like through my headphones not coil wine

I understood that, just saying it could be similar, also sometimes it seems it can get amplified through headphones so yeah... 

good luck in any case! 

14 minutes ago, dsluss said:

Any clue how an rma would go for a 3070 with stock so low?

idk that, they aren't low in stock here anymore since a week or two... Only no EVGA cause EVGA apparently hates Europe or something (if you look at the step up program that becomes very apparent).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(just got a vision OC, and I could have get a Suprim etc too...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i mean gigabyte psus are bad.

Well, the idea that all Gigabyte PSUs are bad is demonstrably false, so what the hell are you on about?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

Well, the idea that all Gigabyte PSUs are bad is demonstrably false, so what the hell are you on about?

just listining to jayz2cents? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXbAZXMmap4

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

just listining to jayz2cents? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXbAZXMmap4

Jay is competing with Greg Salazar to be the worst, least credible source for PSU info. At this point, it has to be intentional, no way anyone would actually spew out the amount of BS that they do, unintentionally. 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Jay is competing with Greg Salazar to be the worst, least credible source for PSU info. At this point, it has to be intentional, no way anyone would actually spew out the amount of BS that they do, unintentionally. 

The only thing I ever heard him spewing nonsense was when he said "use high performance texture filtering, no one can see the difference = free performance" lmfao 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

52 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

just listining to jayz2cents?

That'd explain the apparent lack of critical thinking in your previous statement.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I understood that, just saying it could be similar, also sometimes it seems it can get amplified through headphones so yeah... 

good luck in any case! 

idk that, they aren't low in stock here anymore since a week or two... Only no EVGA cause EVGA apparently hates Europe or something (if you look at the step up program that becomes very apparent).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(just got a vision OC, and I could have get a Suprim etc too...) 

Alright so I put in a corsair 850w rmx and it’s still happening. Gonna return that gigabyte psu tho because I still can. I do have to say that it seems to happen less frequently? Does that make any sense at all lol? 

40 minutes ago, dsluss said:

I do have to say that it seems to happen less frequently? Does that make any sense at all lol? 

yeah it kinda does... it's difficult to explain but it actually has to do with wire lengths, thickness, psu overall quality etc... so the rmx is just a better unit probably, but there's still most likely something off with your gpu. 

no one could tell you for sure, you just have have to try it out... 

. you could also try putting your gpu in a different system if you want to try to avoid an RMA ... 

that should be rather conclusive too. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah it kinda does... it's difficult to explain but it actually has to do with wire lengths, thickness, psu overall quality etc... so the rmx is just a better unit probably, but there's still most likely something off with your gpu. 

no one could tell you for sure, you just have have to try it out... 

. you could also try putting your gpu in a different system if you want to try to avoid an RMA ... 

that should be rather conclusive too. 

So i tested my girlfriends 2060 in my system and the crackling and FPS drops still happen... What the hell is wrong with my system? Any clue?