Crazy Idea: Phones with standardized removable storage.

JoyTheGeek

So recently my ROG 1 was in a terrible accident, screen dead, back cracked to hell. The shit I've tried to get the data off this thing with no screen is short of obnoxious. I bought the Desktop Dock to see into the device and use my mouse, only to find that I can't transfer files through it or the phone when it's docked. Now I'm gonna basically have to get a usb to USB 3.0 hub and click blindly hoping to hit the confirm button. So, here's my crazy idea: MAKE A PHONE WITH M.2. OR ANYTHING STANDARD THAT WE CAN JUST REMOVE AND PLUG INTO A COMPUTER. CRAZY RIGHT??? And for those that are telling me I should've backed up, yeah sure I'll just find a spot for 145gbs of data no problem.

A few years  phones were sold with small amounts of internal storage and it was expected that users who needed more would put their important data on a SD card? I really wish that was still the case....

But as much as I agree with you about removable storage -- yes, you should have backed up. No excuses. A 500GB hard drive is like $30 these days. You should NEVER rely on a portable device to store data of long term importance, for exactly the reason you describe. It's like writing a really important final essay and then just chucking it unprotected into the bottom of your bag until it's time to hand it in...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

It seem like it could be a thing. But with companies like apple.. Do you really think it will be a thing? 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

It seem like it could be a thing. But with companies like apple.. Do you really think it will be a thing? 

Unlikely, even the Macs don't have replaceable storage now.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Just now, Speedbird said:

Unlikely, even the Macs don't have replaceable storage now.

Exactly my point and it's so stupid, and wasteful 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

11 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

What is that unit? Garbages?

But for real, you bought a phone without a card slot. There is a microSD standard in existence that newer phones (and all iPhones) seem to abbandon.

So basically you want phones to have something that they already have but yours does not.

... while that's true and I would never buy a phone without removable storage, they all have internal storage also which you'd need to access... 

now I think that shouldn't be a problem if you've previously "paired" the phone to a pc (assuming the phone still works but not the screen) 

But some phones and especially newer Android versions can be very finicky about that so yeah (even removable storage isn't the perfect solution here) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well they sell devices with SD cards. I always look for SD card expansion in every phone I get. My current 128G sd card is on its third phone. Issue with storage and mobile devices is that internal storage on every single phone is now encrypted. You can remove the chip but you won't be able to recover its content easily. Due to shitty trends in the phones, to make thinner devices with bigger batteries, screens with as many cameras they can fit most of the devices can't even fit SD card slots. Instead of making "removable" storage, they need to implement a protocol to recover data from devices with cracked screens/inputs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

32 minutes ago, JoyTheGeek said:

So, here's my crazy idea: MAKE A PHONE WITH M.2. OR ANYTHING STANDARD THAT WE CAN JUST REMOVE AND PLUG INTO A COMPUTER.

Alas, you'd have to make compromises in speed and/or battery-capacity, then. MicroSD-cards are very small and even with the socket don't take that much space, but they don't perform as well and they also consume more power than fully-integrated eMMC-solutions. On the other hand, a full-blown M.2 would make the phone both thicker and you could only fit half the battery in there alongside it.

Then there's the fact that...most people just don't have the need for such.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

40 minutes ago, JoyTheGeek said:

So, here's my crazy idea: MAKE A PHONE WITH M.2. OR ANYTHING STANDARD THAT WE CAN JUST REMOVE AND PLUG INTO A COMPUTER. CRAZY RIGHT???

Not very possible, with how thin phones are supposed and expected to be nowadays, removable storage can add unnecessary thickness to it. Also it would make stealing data from your phone, like bank details, saved passwords and other things really easily by just removing the storage before you get the chance to mark your phone as stolen so it locks itself. Also, you shouldn't keep large amounts of important data on your phone alone anyway, it's always good to have a backup, whether it's a hard drive, or in the cloud it's up to you, finding a place for 145gb's of data is pretty easy, a 256GB usb drive is like 20$, a 500GB hard drive new is like 17$, and a 1TB external hard drive is like 50$, 200GB of google drive storage is 25$ per year, finding a place for 200GB of data is really easy nowadays tbh.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Also it would make stealing data from your phone, like bank details, saved passwords and other things really easily by just removing the storage before you get the chance to mark your phone as stolen so it locks itself

All modern phones encrypt the filesystem by default, so no, unless OP's suggestion also includes disabling encryption by default, which would be idiotic.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

-> Moved to Phones and Tablets

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, WereCatf said:

All modern phones encrypt the filesystem by default, so no, unless OP's suggestion also includes disabling encryption by default, which would be idiotic.

If the data was encrypted then there would be no point to the removable storage if you cant get data off it. I am not disagreeing with you I still believe that removable storage on phones is pointless/

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 12/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, WereCatf said:

Sure, and how would one go about recovering data from an encrypted drive tied to the original phone?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20