A new low - Amazon Phone Scam

Pickles von Brine

Well, this is a new one for me. I work in computer repair and this is a whole new low. 

A wonderful lady who is 81 years old called me today claiming she was hacked. After speaking with her, this is what I found out. 

She had someone from the US call her from an 800 number claiming to be from Amazon. They said she had 900 dollars taken from her Amazon account and that they needed to remote in and take a look. 
After remoting in, they then manage to convivence her to go to her bank or something or on amazon, likely edited the web page claiming that it was 4000 dollars instead. Furthermore, they wanted to have her get gift cards. 

She at this point was smart and waited a bit, then told them she cannot get out to get the cards and she isn't going to do it. They started to threaten her and and a bunch of other things. She has now frozen her accounts, cancelled cards and a bunch of other things. I need to go through her computer and see what the deal is. What has been tampered with. They also reg-locked her machine. 

Old scam, new skin. Just disgusting humans. I am so damn mad right now. 🤬
While she is with me at the shop, we will be going through things and educating her. She was wise enough to stop part way through though, so props to her!

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

It's actually sad to see gullible old people getting scammed like that -sigh-

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

It's actually sad to see gullible old people getting scammed like that -sigh-

Yeah. She said something felt off, but either way it really is. These people that prey on our elderly need to have their kneecaps destroyed with a ballpeen hammer. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Not really new, been going on for a while. Had this happen to my mother-in-law, luckily she messaged my wife while the call was going on and she stopped it. Also had it happen to myself, unfortunately I really didn't have any time then or else I'd have given them the run-around. Both of those were the "Microsoft support tech" calling. So Amazon is a new trick I guess, though all in all it's still the same scam.

22 hours ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Well, this is a new one for me. I work in computer repair and this is a whole new low. 

A wonderful lady who is 81 years old called me today claiming she was hacked. After speaking with her, this is what I found out. 

She had someone from the US call her from an 800 number claiming to be from Amazon. They said she had 900 dollars taken from her Amazon account and that they needed to remote in and take a look. 
After remoting in, they then manage to convivence her to go to her bank or something or on amazon, likely edited the web page claiming that it was 4000 dollars instead. Furthermore, they wanted to have her get gift cards. 

She at this point was smart and waited a bit, then told them she cannot get out to get the cards and she isn't going to do it. They started to threaten her and and a bunch of other things. She has now frozen her accounts, cancelled cards and a bunch of other things. I need to go through her computer and see what the deal is. What has been tampered with. They also reg-locked her machine. 

Old scam, new skin. Just disgusting humans. I am so damn mad right now. 🤬
While she is with me at the shop, we will be going through things and educating her. She was wise enough to stop part way through though, so props to her!

So, this, basically. Jim Browning and Karl Rock have been uncovering these a lot! 

These are Indians, yes. But not Indians are so. They scam locals too. They are globally-wanted @$$h0les.

21 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

Not really new, been going on for a while. Had this happen to my mother-in-law, luckily she messaged my wife while the call was going on and she stopped it. Also had it happen to myself, unfortunately I really didn't have any time then or else I'd have given them the run-around. Both of those were the "Microsoft support tech" calling. So Amazon is a new trick I guess, though all in all it's still the same scam.

Guys, check out Jim Browning on YouTube! He uncovers these daily, and explains these regularly!

22 hours ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

They also reg-locked her machine. 

Sys-key? I thought that was discontinued? Didn't she update Windows?

I had a few phone calls claiming that my Microsoft accounts to my Windows PC's were getting blocked by Microsoft.  But this is new to me.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

I've never gotten one or gotten a popup like that (despite being dumb in 3rd grade and being let loose on Windows 8.1 with no restrictions at ALL).

Though my dad did (someone called him) and he felt like having some fun.

EDIT:
I don't remember many details, sorry :(
The one thing I do remember is that he asked them where they were located, and it turned out that he had been there last week for a meeting.

That's it - and no I don't remember where.

Edited by ragnarok0273
apology

elephants

This month alone my wife received 2 new scams (new to us) in the mail

Letter from state unemployment office (fortunately the current economy has increased not decreased both of our work) for fraudulent claim.  First thought was stolen ID, as most of it was legit (looking) until you googled the number they wanted you to call.  Called it anyways, and wasted their time for about 10 minutes till they figured out I was fucking with them.  Bro on the line took it well, we sang the Drake song "Call me on my Cellphone" to each other at the end of it.  It was quite comical.

Second was a week later, letter in the mail, from a (after researching) Canadian (I am in Missouri, USA) bank where my account was frozen due to potential fraud.  I dont bank with this bank, so that was the first kicker but thought stolen identity for a second.  So did my research.  Everything was legit, sans the phone number.  It came from a Michigan area, and known scam.  I did the same, called but the instantly and will only continue the conversation after you provide your Social Security number.  So I couldnt have fun so just yelled at them until they hung up.

Just info sharing

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I mean I had someone from India claim that my Social Security Number expired and my credit card was required to update it or the FBI was going to arrest me. 

-Just got out of jail last month actually-

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

Had a lady at work fall for this right after her husband died.  

I fully feel that scammers should be covered in honey and tied to an ant mound.  

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

We have made moving money so easy these days. I feel it's now too easy and becoming detrimental to our society and security.

Moving forward banks need to enact a protected movement act. Basically you have to be a trusted and ID proven and asset based entity to be able to accept fast payments.

Money needs to be protected for a period of time. So if someone does scam someone, and they get caught you can recover in a week, as their personal details, address and assets are all traceable and the police can recover that money and appropriately punish them.

If you want to hide out in another country with a dodgy bank, then protected and trusted banks need to enact additional security before any money gets sent out to them and become untraceable.

This is also why I'm not too keen on everyone going bit-coin/cryptocurrency. The legal protection frame-work we rely on within our countries to keep corruption and illegal activities difficult and underground are all by-passed with crypto currency. Think about it. Imagine if NESTLE could suddenly just wire hundreds of thousands of untraceable bit-coin to any politician they want, bye bye water rights. Ordering in your human-traffic, underaged sex slave would be a completely easy with no traceability. That worries me.

1 hour ago, Minicoop said:

I mean I had someone from India claim that my Social Security Number expired and my credit card was required to update it or the FBI was going to arrest me. 

-Just got out of jail last month actually-

That is a scary ass thing to come out to. Especially if you were in jail.