RTX3070 driver version 460.79 Nvidia control panel power management mode "Adaptive" and "Optimal power" replaced by "Custom" ?

222feb23

I'm just update my driver from version 457.51 to 460.79, when i'm going to control panel to setup some settings i see that "adaptive" and "optimal power" been replaced with "custom" the option "prefer maximum performence" still there, is this a bug of new version or new feature or my system have problems ?

My system:
6600 non-K

16Gb ram

Gigabyte 3070 gaming oc

Aorus AP850GM psu

N1.png

Sounds like a new feature. Leaving it at, is generally better in most cases:

NVIDIA Control Panel - does "Let the 3D application decide" invalidate  global settings in advanced 3D image settings?: nvidia

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

5 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

That's not what he is talking about. You're talking about the performance/quality slider.

OP is talking about performance/efficiency setting under "manage 3d settings".

Seems like a new feature to customize it more to the user's liking. I'd set "prefer maximum performance" either way.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

That's not what he is talking about. You're talking about the performance/quality slider.

OP is talking about performance/efficiency setting under "manage 3d settings".

Seems like a new feature to customize it more to the user's liking. I'd set "prefer maximum performance" either way.

I know.... As I said in most cases, leaving it at default will yield the best results. If you set it to 'prefer maximum performance' you set it at 'use the advanced 3D image settings'

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

14 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

NVIDIA Control Panel - does "Let the 3D application decide" invalidate  global settings in advanced 3D image settings?: nvidia

I mean "power management mode" in Manage 3D settings not Adjust image settings

21 minutes ago, 222feb23 said:

I mean "power management mode" in Manage 3D settings not Adjust image settings

I know. When you change that, you'll change adjust image settings to use the advanced 3D image settings....

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

I know. When you change that, you'll change adjust image settings to use the advanced 3D image settings....

no what i mean is whether or not "adaptive" and "optimal" options been replaced with "custom" or the new diver verion have bug or simply my pc have problem

N1.png

N2.png

1 hour ago, 222feb23 said:

no what i mean is whether or not "adaptive" and "optimal" options been replaced with "custom" or the new diver verion have bug or simply my pc have problem

N1.png

N2.png

Seem like they just removed adaptive. And called optimal power, *normal*. If you want the other thing I think you must roll back to the older version. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

And what does custom do? I don't see a screen of that? 

this seems overall like a pretty terrible change because "prefer maximum performance" always boosts even while idling whereas "adaptive" actually only boosts when it's under load... long standing "bug" maybe they fixed it but without more info I doubt it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

And what does custom do? I don't see a screen of that? 

this seems overall like a pretty terrible change because "prefer maximum performance" always boosts even while idling whereas "adaptive" actually only boosts when it's under load... long standing "bug" maybe they fixed it but without more info I doubt it. 

Isn't "Adaptive" supposed to be a laptop setting anyway?  Desktops don't need that setting.

Interesting. I'm running that version of the driver but still have the 'Adaptive' setting (which I use because max performance doesn't always idle the card correctly).

Do the settings change based on GPU installed? I'm using a 1080 instead of a 30xx series. I wouldn't expect them to depend on installed card, but you never know.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Interesting. I'm running that version of the driver but still have the 'Adaptive' setting (which I use because max performance doesn't always idle the card correctly).

Do the settings change based on GPU installed? I'm using a 1080 instead of a 30xx series. I wouldn't expect them to depend on installed card, but you never know.

I think it a bug because the "460.79 nvidia control panel quick start guide" still have show "adaptive" and "optimal power"