PC not posting with Radeon R9 290 on Intel DH61WW motherboard

Frandesktop

Hello,

I tried to install a R9 290 on an old Intel DH61WW motherboard. But the motherboard speaker is beeping and it won't post at all. The fan of the R9 290 does spin though

What I've tried to do so far:

*I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the CPU. but right now the CPU is Pentium G630

1) The PC does boot if I remove the R9 290 and plug to the iGPU VGA port

2) I checked if the PCIE slot itself on the DH61WW isn't broken by installing a low-end GPU and it works

3) I tried to install the same R9 290 on an ASRock B450M-Pro4 and it works. I used the same PSU 

4) I was told that the R9 290 does not support legacy bios, but the DH61WW motherboard clearly has an option "UEFI boot" and I also disabled the Legacy boot option

What could be the issue?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Does the system POST if you plug a display into your iGPU outputs?

Yes, forgot to mention, added to original post, thank you

What are the other specs? What psu do you have? Might just be a case of the psu not being able to handle a very power hungry card like a 290

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

What are the other specs? What psu do you have? Might just be a case of the psu not being able to handle a very power hungry card like a 290

But the same PSU does make the GPU work with another board and CPU:

36 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

3) I tried to install the same R9 290 on an ASRock B450M-Pro4 and it works. I used the same PSU 

The other system where I plug the R9 290 to is B450M-Pro4 + Ryzen 3 2200g. This one uses Intel Pentium G630 and it does not post at all, only mobo beeps a few times

The PSU is some 750W PSU, but it does work because I use the same one for the tests

Just now, Frandesktop said:

But the same PSU does make the GPU work with another board and CPU:

The other system where I plug the R9 290 to is B450M-Pro4 + Ryzen 3 2200g. This one uses Intel Pentium G630 and it does not post at all, only mobo beeps a few times

The PSU is some 750W PSU, but it does work because I use the same one for the tests

Which 750w? A crappy psu can work in one system but malfunction in the other. The intel and amd platform here expect different amounts of x voltages and may have different spikes which can cause the psu to just not wanna go. The board should be fine does it work with it's integrated gpu on it's own?

Just now, jaslion said:

Which 750w? A crappy psu can work in one system but malfunction in the other. The intel and amd platform here expect different amounts of x voltages and may have different spikes which can cause the psu to just not wanna go. The board should be fine does it work with it's integrated gpu on it's own?

Yes it works with the internal iGPU on its own

The PSU is Cooler Master MWE 750 White 230V - V2

2 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

Yes it works with the internal iGPU on its own

The PSU is Cooler Master MWE 750 White 230V - V2

Not surpised with that psu it ain't working.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not surpised with that psu it ain't working.

So you think it's the PSU even though it works with another system? What's the differenec between the systems in wattage? I only use DH61WW + G630 + 1 stick of 8GB 1333Mhz RAM.

It's also weird because I just saw on PcPartPicker that my RAM is not compatible with this motherboard.... maybe it causes issue although it works without external GPU?

Or, DH61WWB3 is difference from DH61WW?

PCPartPicker Part List https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jGrDkX
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G630 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor $60.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Intel DH61WWB3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  
Memory G.Skill Value Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $95.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-07 11:10 EST-0500  

It's fine the ram works just fine on that system it's just newer than the board that is all thus not verified which really doesn't matter.

It's not wattage it comes down to quality of the psu and that mwe white is garbage bin material in terms of that. Try it out with a different one and there is a good chance it will work. That gpu also does not need any eufi stuff as it works just fine on legacy bios.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's fine the ram works just fine on that system it's just newer than the board that is all thus not verified which really doesn't matter.

It's not wattage it comes down to quality of the psu and that mwe white is garbage bin material in terms of that. Try it out with a different one and there is a good chance it will work. That gpu also does not need any eufi stuff as it works just fine on legacy bios.

I only have 400w old PSU, not even sure it has enough connectors. I'll have to get another one. What PSU do you recommend for this system? Not too expensive but that will work. Btw why doesn't it even post? I mean, does the GPU even draw so much power when you simply click the ON button? 

*I know it's very cheap garbage PSU, but still, it has 62 amps on the 12V rail, not to mention it did boot on the B450M Pro4

10 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

I only have 400w old PSU, not even sure it has enough connectors. I'll have to get another one. What PSU do you recommend for this system? Not too expensive but that will work. Btw why doesn't it even post? I mean, does the GPU even draw so much power when you simply click the ON button? 

*I know it's very cheap garbage PSU, but still, it has 62 amps on the 12V rail, not to mention it did boot on the B450M Pro4

Spikes would be my best guess here. The card should work totally fine in the system if a good enough psu is used.

Well have a look at the psu tier list any b tier unit will be good as long as it's 500w+

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

thank you. Hopefully it's the PSU. The funny thing is that Cooler Master recommends the same PSU model, just the 550w version in their PSU calculator.. lol. Maybe that's really not the problem? I mean, I'd expect that if a PSU is bad it would show up somewhere after a little bit of usage and not on post, and not even post with the other PC (which it did post there). So frustrating

Update:

I just plugged the R9 290 to the B450M Pro4 again and ran stress test and it worked well without any PSU shut down so the PSU is good.

Could it be that since Intel removed their BIOS updates from their site, the files I Found online were not good enough? I mean Intel removed all their support for mobos and I had to look online for torrents with the deleted BIOS files.

It did update eventually and I do see that my BIOS is version 116 - but maybe it was broken? It's so weird that this card works well on another mobo, and other cards works well with the Intel mobo, but only this one - nothing

3 hours ago, Frandesktop said:

Update:

I just plugged the R9 290 to the B450M Pro4 again and ran stress test and it worked well without any PSU shut down so the PSU is good.

Could it be that since Intel removed their BIOS updates from their site, the files I Found online were not good enough? I mean Intel removed all their support for mobos and I had to look online for torrents with the deleted BIOS files.

It did update eventually and I do see that my BIOS is version 116 - but maybe it was broken? It's so weird that this card works well on another mobo, and other cards works well with the Intel mobo, but only this one - nothing

Yeah I don't think it's the PSU anyway. The 290 draws 300W max at stock, if I recall correctly, and you have 750W to play with. That CM unit isn't bad either. It's just not the most efficient.

Have you tried to clear CMOS and reseat the card?

I literally just installed a different GPU in my backup system (R7 360, should fit okay with the Phenom II X4 955 on DDR2 🙂 ), and it wouldn't post at first either.

I cleared CMOS and reseated the GPU, and then it posted after a few cycles.

26 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

Yeah I don't think it's the PSU anyway. The 290 draws 300W max at stock, if I recall correctly, and you have 750W to play with. That CM unit isn't bad either. It's just not the most efficient.

Have you tried to clear CMOS and reseat the card?

I literally just installed a different GPU in my backup system (R7 360, should fit okay with the Phenom II X4 955 on DDR2 🙂 ), and it wouldn't post at first either.

I cleared CMOS and reseated the GPU, and then it posted after a few cycles.

I never cleared CMOS. I will try to do that

Is it possible that the R9 290 won't fit by a very small margin so that it won't connect all the way in?

Maybe I'll get a PCIE extension cable to see if it plugs better?

this.jpg

this2.jpg