Is there a reason if any to use wifi and ethernet at the same time?

nelska

I have a pc with a wifi/bluetooth card and technically I could use all three to get internet. At the same time. But, is there any reason to besides what if one drops? Theres no speed boost or bandwidth distribution going on here is there? If you look into it you can see them all working at the same time.. so are they distrbuting information between them efficiently? or is all this just random? thanks. I have no idea whats going on here.

I don't see any reason too use wifi and ethernet, I would recommend just ethernet.

(Insert Signature Here)

When using ethernet you're basically maxing out what your connection can give (Seeing as most people don't have >1Gbit connection) Using WiFi additionally wouldn't make your connection magically faster.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

As far as I know you can't combine network adapters and use them concurrently and there wouldn't be any advantage to that in terms of bandwidth or speed.
You can certainly have multiple network adapters enabled at once but your network connection will just go through whichever one you connect.

Ethernet should be faster than WiFi

you can't combine the connections.

the internet has to come from either one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

For internet purposes i agree with above statements.

However, there are some IoT applications you might not be able to use if your WiFi is on a different Subnet from your Ethernet (which is fairly common).

In that case you might want to use it simultaniously.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

You can use ethernet to connect your PC to a NAS  where you keep your documents, music, movies and leave it running 24/7  and you can use a second ethernet and/or wireless to connect to your router for Internet.

You can combine multiple physical network interfaces into a single logical interface (teaming/bonding/link aggregation).  Bonding a wired and wireless interface makes a dandy seamless failover, but isn't going to increase your data throughput in most circumstances. 

Redundancy. If your wired connection fails, there is wireless as backup. You can also technically route the internet traffic differently, maybe like keep games on wired, and other applications for wireless. I'm talking to talk though, haven't tried this out, or if it's even practical for a single computer.