16gb or 32gb or ram for general voice recording

Hey sup everyone,

Building my cousin a PC for voice recording,

I ordered Vengeance 32gb of 3600 c18 ram but its cutting into budget a bit,

Do you guys think Id be good enough with Ballastix 16gb 3600 c 16 ram?

Just not sure is 16gb will be enough not sure what voice audio programs require,

It would help bring his build to just about 1.4k which would be good,

Let me know what u guys think

Thanks for help

Gaming Build:

CPU:  Ryzen 7 3700x  |  GPU: EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (2100Mhz Core | 8351Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk  |  RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32gb 2x16gb 3600mhz  |  PSU: Corsair RM750  |  Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb, Samsung 860 Evo 500gb  |  Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism  |  Case: Phanteks P600s White

Peripherals:

Monitor:  Alienware AW2521HFL    Headset: Sennheiser GSP 500  |  Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Origins Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless (Logitech G502/Razer Lancehead TE)

Laptop:

HP Omen HP OMEN 17-W053DX

17.3" Full-HD  Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6GHz  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 4GB 1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD  12GB DDR4  Bluetooth

If all you're doing is recording voice, you would be fine with 8.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

More details on 'voice recording' are needed. Are we talking about he's just encoding on the fly to lossy files or is he recording wav's and mastering them with software and doing production work on multi-track high bitrate lossless stuff?

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If all you're doing is recording voice, you would be fine with 8.

Just now, Bitter said:

More details on 'voice recording' are needed. Are we talking about he's just encoding on the fly to lossy files or is he recording wav's and mastering them with software and doing production work on multi-track high bitrate lossless stuff?

oh werd thats good to know thanks, maybe Ill do him the 16gb then,

His main plan is to use it for recording voice for commercials, so I guess he going to have a xlr nd stuff linked up to it, not sure sure on the programs but I guess adobe nd stuff

Gaming Build:

CPU:  Ryzen 7 3700x  |  GPU: EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (2100Mhz Core | 8351Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk  |  RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32gb 2x16gb 3600mhz  |  PSU: Corsair RM750  |  Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb, Samsung 860 Evo 500gb  |  Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism  |  Case: Phanteks P600s White

Peripherals:

Monitor:  Alienware AW2521HFL    Headset: Sennheiser GSP 500  |  Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Origins Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless (Logitech G502/Razer Lancehead TE)

Laptop:

17.3" Full-HD  Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6GHz  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 4GB 1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD  12GB DDR4  Bluetooth

Probably 16GB would be OK but find out what he's doing more exactly. If he's running A LOT of software concurrently then more RAM could be beneficial but there's obviously diminishing gains. 16GB is the floor for what I build now unless it's its a bare bones internet facebook email and excel PC. My 'gaming' PC has 32GB and I've never ever gotten close to running out of RAM. My HTPC used to have 8GB but Disney+ and Chrome eat a bunch of RAM so I upped it to 16GB. An office PC I built for work has 8GB and I've seen it use max almost 7GB with A LOT of Chrome tabs and windows open.

Faster storage (a good NVME) and a large HDD for archiving (maybe external) would probably be good money spent for a media production PC. Just make sure if this is a Ryzen system that the RAM is going to play well with it and lower latency memory is of greater benefit on Ryzen for performance.

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

Probably 16GB would be OK but find out what he's doing more exactly. If he's running A LOT of software concurrently then more RAM could be beneficial but there's obviously diminishing gains. 16GB is the floor for what I build now unless it's its a bare bones internet facebook email and excel PC. My 'gaming' PC has 32GB and I've never ever gotten close to running out of RAM. My HTPC used to have 8GB but Disney+ and Chrome eat a bunch of RAM so I upped it to 16GB. An office PC I built for work has 8GB and I've seen it use max almost 7GB with A LOT of Chrome tabs and windows open.

Faster storage (a good NVME) and a large HDD for archiving (maybe external) would probably be good money spent for a media production PC. Just make sure if this is a Ryzen system that the RAM is going to play well with it and lower latency memory is of greater benefit on Ryzen for performance.

Good information thanks,

So yea he will be having a ryzen cpu either a 3700x or 5600x. and his storage will be a 970 evo Plus.

I know he wont have too many programs open at once and he doesnt yet plan to use it for gaming. Just maybe have 1-2 programs open at a time I guess for the voice stuff. He plans to use it for recording his voice for commercials and possibly tv shows hes been working with someone on.

So not sure I also have a few other options on ram but the 16gb 3600mhz 16CL def gives the most room on his budget. the current ram the 32 vengeance coast  164 total. Other option is Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16, that one is 134 without tax so saves about $20 bucks so not much. So my main choice I think is keeping my current order or going with the 16gb ballastix 16 3600.

Let me know watcha think :)

Thanks for help

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

If the motherboard has 4 slots for RAM and you get 16GB now then another 16GB could be added later on if they find they need more RAM. If the motherboard has only 2 slots for RAM then it's probably better to just get more up front.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

If the motherboard has 4 slots for RAM and you get 16GB now then another 16GB could be added later on if they find they need more RAM. If the motherboard has only 2 slots for RAM then it's probably better to just get more up front.

Very true I had thought about that, only thing is my cousin doesn't want to mess with himself at all after it built. By himself at least. But yea I guess in the future I could maybe meet up with him only thing is we live in different states. Guess I'm going to have to think on it have a few days before amazon charge's me.

Thanks

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop: