Do you really need anti-virus software for your PC?

Ahsan

So I am running windows 8 pro on my PC and I believe there is the windows defender app built into it.

Do I need to go out buying a anti virus software?

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

Dell Inspiron N5110 intel i5

NO. DO NOT BUY ONE
If you actually feel the need, use a free one.

I personally don't use one at all, I just have a virus remover (Malware Bytes)  

NO. DO NOT BUY ONE

If you actually feel the need, use a free one.

I personally don't use one at all, I just have a virus remover (Malwayre Bytes) 

I wonder, how about if you sign in to an online banking site or always go on paypal? Would you still say no?

(Whoops didn't read yours properly :P. I didn't see the "use a free one") Still would you go for a paid version to be more secure?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Yes and no. It depends on what you do. If all you do is surf the web and play games on Steam, then there shouldn't be any issues.

Personally I'd go and get the free version of MalwareBytes, just in case, and scan periodically.

If you are worried, then get the free version of Avast! and turn off all the notifications and put it in "Silent" or "Silent Gaming Mode" I believe is what it is called, but it could throw up false positives on Steam games from time to time :/

I wonder, how about if you sign in to an online banking site or always go on paypal? Would you still say no?

I would consider my self educated when it comes on what to click on on the internet, I haven't had a virus in the past 2 years.

So my opinion might be biased because (douchebag comment coming up) I'm smart. I don't go to shady websites, I don't click on weird looking download links- I check the URL before I click them.

I do not run an antivirus for at least 5 years.

And i'm good.

Signatures are stupid.

I would consider my self educated when it comes on what to click on on the internet, I haven't had a virus in the past 2 years.

So my opinion might be biased because (douchebag comment coming up) I'm smart. I don't go to shady websites, I don't click on weird looking download links- I check the URL before I click them.

Haha, you have a point :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

i have windows 8/8.1 through my whole network. we use MSE (microsoft security essentials) as its built into windows, with it set for systematic scans, it checks all my systems once a week, and then every so often ill just download a free one and do a deep scan, aside that unless you go specifically to 'www.[insertpcscrewingwebsitenamehere].broken' you should be safe lol

Freelancing Since 2012

Free versions of anti virus, like AVG, Avast and MalwareBytes are good. When you log onto paypal and online banking, you're logging onto a SSL secure server. You will have the encryption protection from paypal/bank server, as well ass the anti-virus. You will do fine  ^_^

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

you only need your brain,knowledge,and a virus removal tool(anti malwarebytes)

smart pepole that know computers usually dont get viruses

Yes and no. It depends on what you do. If all you do is surf the web and play games on Steam, then there shouldn't be any issues.

Personally I'd go and get the free version of MalwareBytes, just in case, and scan periodically.

If you are worried, then get the free version of Avast! and turn off all the notifications and put it in "Silent" or "Silent Gaming Mode" I believe is what it is called, but it could throw up false positives on Steam games from time to time :/

I've been using Avast for 3 years. It's never said anything about a Steam game. The only thing it's ever had issues with was cgminer and sgminer (for obvious reasons).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Buy one? You shouldn't need to. Just go for free Avast antivirus and/or free Malwarebytes.

The lifetime license for Malwarebytes Pro was originally a good deal, but with their yearly subscription model (I think they've switched over already), that's harder to say.

I feel like it's kinda one of those things where it's better to have it and not need it. Be smart about your browsing, but the thing you might want protection for is when perfectly legitimate sites you use regularly get hacked, and you potentially get malware that way.  

for the longest time i didnt use an AV because im not an idiot

but then i got a bit afraid that some one might have used my pc and used an infected USB key or something  :|

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I've been using Avast for 3 years. It's never said anything about a Steam game. The only thing it's ever had issues with was cgminer and sgminer (for obvious reasons).

Well I've just seen pictures from people that use Avast and Steam and Avast throws up false positives saying X game is a virus, etc. I've never had that problem either when I was using Avast for a short while, but it's something to look for.

You don't need one if you are very careful and know what you are doing. I use Security Essentials, it's very light weight, free and good.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Windows Defender that comes with Win 8/8.1 is actually fairly secure. But if you feel more secure with have a secondary layer to help with antivirus and alike, then try some of the many good free options.

Just get Avast free.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just get Norton Antivirus! I had it for 2 years and i haven't had a virus either, but i am not as careful as you on the internet! Seriously, norton antivirus is the BEST in defending your system!!!11

Edit: the advertiesment at the bottom of the page is for´AVG antivir..... fuck you google! NORTON ALL THE WAY!

who cares...

I just run defender, "anti-virus" for me is literally locking my door and keeping any children/adults off my rig. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Most people use antivirus nowadays, not because it's needed, but as a security blanket.

Things have changed since the days of Internet Explorer / windows xp, and accessing the net without a router on a dsl modem.

Norton is meh. Avast is good but I've had cases when it would pop up for games, that aren't viruses of course. It is very quick to delete and block what it thinks is a virus, so that can get annoying. However, I believe there are options and what not to get around that. AVG is just blah, it's free version is good but nothing much to say here. I like its better than Norton though because of it's cleaner look...not that-that matters haha but it still needs to be updated on detecting some browser extension viruses. Malwarebytes is always a great ass saver and backup plan. The basic windows defender does actually do a decent job for the new people of the Internet, but of course not a perfect one. There are other free ones, but if you know your way around the Internet you should be fine. If you do have that occasional screw up and nothing is working, I once again recommend malwarebytes to clean it up for ya. And for those who are wondering, lets not talk about Mcafee ok, jeeze. I've grown to dislike it not really on it's quality as a virus remover and scanner, but because I always see it trying to be pushed on me somehow, someway haha. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.