MSI 3060 Ti Ventus 2x noise problems

ExTeR

Hi guys, i just got my 3060 TI and without adjusting the fan curve, after a 15-20 min play session on tomb raider I get the following temps and fan usage:

Temp: 74ºC

Fans: 87% (2370rpm)

It gets incredibly loud, and adjusting the fan curve sets the gpu at least at 80-81ºC... Is this a defective card? I have a pretty big case (be quiet 700 rgb) with 3 x 140 rpm vents.... any one else has this 3060 TI model ?

Ok.. I did some more testing with the case open and it gets to 75ºC but can spin the fans only at around 1400 rpm if i close the case it gets to 80-81, when the fans ramp up on my custom configuration.

If I just set the default fan configuration the fans go always at more than 2200 rpm (80%, and gets worse after several minutes) to hold around 73ºC... 

I'm now not sure if it is something related to the airflow of my case or the graphics card.

I have a dark base 700 rgb with 2 140mm fans on the front and one exhaust 140mm on the back... And a noctua nh-d15 for the cpu.. any body has any idea on that?

are both fan spinning at load?

my msi card used to be 1 fan very weak, needed initial push to start

is kinda normal for ventus, has always been the "lower end series with terrible cooling" I thought that was known. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

is kinda normal for ventus, has always been the "lower end series with terrible cooling" I thought that was known. 

yes it is, so i was asuming 70 degrees spining with more rpms than the ventus x3, but not 2400 rpm at 73 degrees.

Take a look at your core speed. My 2060 goed to 83 degrees out-of-the-box and overclocks to 1935MHz (advertised is 17xx MHz, not quite sure exactly). What I do is set the power target in MSI afterburner to 75% or so and set a custom fan curver. Now it boosts to 1830MHz, I get about 2-3 FPS less and it doesn't exceed 74 degrees.

Edit: I don't have a ventus, but the principle should be the same.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

40 minutes ago, martward said:

Take a look at your core speed. My 2060 goed to 83 degrees out-of-the-box and overclocks to 1935MHz (advertised is 17xx MHz, not quite sure exactly). What I do is set the power target in MSI afterburner to 75% or so and set a custom fan curver. Now it boosts to 1830MHz, I get about 2-3 FPS less and it doesn't exceed 74 degrees.

It's boosting at around 1900 mhz... i will try this later, thanks.

1 hour ago, martward said:

After setting the power limit to 77% and adjusting the fan curve, it gets around 72º pretty silent at around 1300 rpm... (boost at 1770mhz) so... is it my graphics card? or is it something that will happen to everybody?

33 minutes ago, ExTeR said:

After setting the power limit to 77% and adjusting the fan curve, it gets around 72º pretty silent at around 1300 rpm... (boost at 1770mhz) so... is it my graphics card? or is it something that will happen to everybody?

As far as I understand this is just normal behaviour of GPU boost. It will increase your clocks until it either hits a power limit or a temperature limit. The temperature limit (on Turing cards at least) is 83 degrees. So unless it hits a power limit before, it will just boost until it gets to 83 degrees Celsius. 

I could be wrong, as far as I know it's intended behaviour and my card has been running fine for almost 2 years, so I wouldn't worry about it :).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

your case does not really have a good airflow. that is one of the reasons+ 2x fans on not se good heatsink and PCB is the reason 2. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

so just to be clear, the fans are already running at max? 

I mean, yes, you could lower clock speeds as a temporary solution, but it's not ideal with games becoming more demanding (inevitably) so higher fan curves would be preferable imo, or maybe a combination of the two. 

because you can do a lot with proper fancurves as long the cooling solution is up to snuff at least fyi. 

20201204_133825.jpg.c35ca874ef1fa130615677a58af741df.jpg

^my gtx 1070, stays at that clock and temp for hours while playing actually demanding games (Monster Hunter World in this case) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

your case does not really have a good airflow. that is one of the reasons+ 2x fans on not se good heatsink and PCB is the reason 2. 

Not sure about that... temperatures on a 3080 in the same spot where 11ºC degrees less than a 3060 TI... it just doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

so just to be clear, the fans are already running at max? 

I mean, yes, you could lower clock speeds as a temporary solution, but it's not ideal with games becoming more demanding (inevitably) so higher fan curves would be preferable imo, or maybe a combination of the two. 

because you can do a lot with proper fancurves as long the cooling solution is up to snuff at least fyi. 

20201204_133825.jpg.c35ca874ef1fa130615677a58af741df.jpg

^my gtx 1070, stays at that clock and temp for hours while playing actually demanding games (Monster Hunter World in this case) 

Yes i adjusted them, 50-55% is what i want when playing, but with that %, i get to 80ºC

6 minutes ago, ExTeR said:

Yes i adjusted them, 50-55% is what i want when playing, but with that %, i get to 80ºC

well what you want and what's effective is obviously not the same then. 

needs probably to be at 80/90% at least with that card. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

usually around 50-60% is enough while playing on all the cards I had, not 85%.

Let's see if someone else has this card...

On 12/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mark Kaine said:

well what you want and what's effective is obviously not the same then. 

needs probably to be at 80/90% at least with that card. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah sure... sure...

I could compare with another ventus 2x, and that one did not go to 1850 rpm in 1 minute with the case open (like mine)

Stayed at around 1200 rpm pretty silent for the whole 3h gaming session on a closed box. Stayed at around 68ºc.

But yes, 73ºC at 2500 rpm is the normal thing ¬¬. The founders edition stays between 1000 and 1500 rpm with two fans.

Very helpful 

Returned and reserved a ventus x3 for 30€ more (the only thing available)

maybe you get lucky as not every card is exactly the same obviously, but that doesn't change the fact that ventus is MSI's low tier / budget line where they save 20 bucks or so on cooling components (thus if you want cool / silent gaming x variants are the way to go) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/5/2020 at 4:19 PM, Mark Kaine said:

maybe you get lucky as not every card is exactly the same obviously, but that doesn't change the fact that ventus is MSI's low tier / budget line where they save 20 bucks or so on cooling components (thus if you want cool / silent gaming x variants are the way to go) 

ok, got my ventus 3x, temperatures are holding to 68% in a stress test at around 1800 rpm. While playing on the stock curve temperatures are 10ºC less. Some thing was wrong on that ventus 2x.

Anyway, now... i have another problem, with msi afterburner when setting a custom curve fans do not stop....

But... the main problem is that the minim fan speed is 30%, and this is going at 1800 rpms, and this makes fan to make noise, which doesn't make sense... is there any way to fix this? is this a normal behaviours?

fans.PNG

By the way... maximum speed fan is 3300 rpm, does this make sense? It seems that pc will go up like a rocket.

maxed.PNG

Hi, i got an 3060 ti Ventus 2

With custom fan curve i cant get below 30% too. So i have to switch between auto and custom if i want to play a demanding game. 30% means ~1000 RPM and its pretty quiet, but not as silent as my other casefans  and the cpufan with ~600 rpm at idle.

i reduced the Powerlimit to 80% and did the auto OC with the OC Scanner. Under load i get 70° Degrees with 38% fanspeed. At 40% it becomes to noisy for me, because i like my system very quiet.

2 hours ago, Zehdeh said:

Hi, i got an 3060 ti Ventus 2

With custom fan curve i cant get below 30% too. So i have to switch between auto and custom if i want to play a demanding game. 30% means ~1000 RPM and its pretty quiet, but not as silent as my other casefans  and the cpufan with ~600 rpm at idle.

i reduced the Powerlimit to 80% and did the auto OC with the OC Scanner. Under load i get 70° Degrees with 38% fanspeed. At 40% it becomes to noisy for me, because i like my system very quiet.

38% at 70º is great on a ventus 2x, my problem is that something was wrong on my unit and it couldn't keep the temperature, and fans were up to 82-83%.

But it's really strange now my behaviour on the ventus 3x.... it is not possible to have that bad luck!

3 hours ago, ExTeR said:

, got my ventus 3x, temperatures are holding to 68% in a stress test at around 1800 rpm. While playing on the stock curve temperatures are 10ºC less. Some thing was wrong on that ventus 2x.

it makes sense 3 fan card is a bit cooler yeah, not sure if something was wrong with the other card though, could just be some variation, as said it's their budget line, and msi isn't known for great Q&A either (though if the products work well they're usually great no doubt) 

3 hours ago, ExTeR said:

maximum speed fan is 3300 rpm, does this make sense?

yeah for those who prefer a cool pc and maximum performance it does - though really as I already said if you want "cool and silent and max performance" gaming x/z cards are unbeatable. my 1060 gaming x was also cooler and more silent than the 1070 FTW2 I got now, you can just tell noise wasn't a priority for evga while designing that cooler... 

2 hours ago, Zehdeh said:

With custom fan curve i cant get below 30%

3 hours ago, ExTeR said:

But... the main problem is that the minim fan speed is 30%,

pics of custom fan curve please? cause that doesn't sound right imo... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

it makes sense 3 fan card is s but cooler yeah, not sure if something was wrong with the other card could just be some variation, as said it's their budget line, and msi isn't known for great Q&A either (though if the products work well they're usually great no doubt) 

yeah for those who prefer a cool pc and maximum performance it does - though really as I already said if you want "cool and silent and max performance" gaming x/z cards are unbeatable. my 1060 gaming x was also cooler and more silent than the 1070 FTW2 I got now, you can just tell noise wasn't a priority for evga while designing that cooler... 

pics of custom fan curve please? cause that doesn't sound right imo... 

I don't think the fan curve is important... I mean, i can set the fan to 0%, and it still gets to 30%, which might be fine, except for the 1800 rpm...

7 minutes ago, ExTeR said:

I don't think the fan curve is important

I give up... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

33 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I give up... 

On what are you giving up, my only problem now is that the gpu is makes noise on the minimum fan speed when setting it in afterburner (or stock when fan activates).

I can setup a fan curve on 0% from 0 to 100ºC, that the speed is set to 30% (you have several posts on graphic cards that behave like this).

On that 30% the RPMs are 1800 RPM. Fan curve is whatever you want less than 30% XD

But here there are :

fancurve.PNG

gpuinfo.PNG

30 percent afterburner.PNG