How is the MacOS compared to Windows?

Been Windows user whole my life,and i really wonder how is MacOs compared the windows?

What are the cons and pro's of Mac compared to Windows 10?

For disclosure i am Iphone user and i find their ecosystem really nice.

Just now, AzzaNezz said:

Been Windows user whole my life,and i really wonder how is MacOs compared the windows?

You have a different set of programs that do the exact same thing, only difference is more uniformity and less modifications for a change that might benefit 1 specific user.
If you are a web browser only guy with a few programs to supplement his desktop/laptop requirements, then a MAC might be what you want. Though you do lose gaming.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

macOS is substantially different from Windows.

Pros of Windows:
Easier to manipulate

Easier to manage files

More hidden but nice features

Pros of macOS:

Harder to mess up

Cleaner

Cons of Windows:
Easy to mess up

Regedit is dangerous

Cons of macOS/Macs:

VERY locked down

You can't easily screw your sister's Mac up so she has to pay you to fix it

elephants

Just now, Jumballi said:

You have a different set of programs that do the exact same thing, only difference is more uniformity and less modifications for a change that might benefit 1 specific user.
If you are a web browser only guy with a few programs to supplement his desktop/laptop requirements, then a MAC might be what you want. Though you do lose gaming.

Well primarly goal of my OS is programming,though i am still begginer and still learning.

I was looking at M1,but will rather wait for the next year for the new Macbook with better cpu,and they will fix most of the software problems until then,and compabilitty with certain programs.

3 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Well primarly goal of my OS is programming,though i am still begginer and still learning.

I was looking at M1,but will rather wait for the next year for the new Macbook with better cpu,and they will fix most of the software problems until then,and compabilitty with certain programs.

DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T

When you're failing your class because the EXE you compiled won't run on the windows computer the entire class is using. And when you can't have the professor live share into visual studio because it's only for windows.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T

When you're failing your class because the EXE you compiled won't run on the windows computer the entire class is using. And when you can't have the professor live share into visual studio because it's only for windows.

Could just use a Windows VM on MacOS. That said, not sure how well the M1 chip would handle x86 applications behind a virtualisation layer. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Could just use a Windows VM on MacOS. That said, not sure how well the M1 chip would handle x86 applications behind a virtualisation layer. 

This semester I've help 4 of my classmates compile programs to send to the professor. I still have flashbacks to trying to solve all the issues on their end only for the EXE to not work on windows.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RECOMMEND A MAC FOR A PROGRAMING STUDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends entirely on what you want in an operating system and whether you're referring to macOS the operating system or Mac the product. You mention programming etc..

Software engineers professionals around the world can and do use macOS for software development, and no, not just because they need Xcode to compile iOS apps. I'm a software engineer and I've used Macs for my work since 2013, I don't use Macs exclusively but I typically only use a Windows machine to play games I can't run in macOS or to support someone or test software with a Windows computer. I'd also consider myself a power user, I'm very familiar with both Windows and macOS and written drivers and software that targets both environments over the years.

All I can say is they are both very functional modern operating systems, macOS definitely has more polish and refinement than Windows, and as a technical person who seriously can't be bothered tinkering and fixing things when I'm not working, which is not often, I want a machine that just works for me and is a pleasure to use. I find this to be macOS personally because outside of my work I'm also a hobbyist photographer and musician, and the Windows driver model is a literal scrapheap for this kind of work.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

Honestly the only reason I can see someone wanting to use MacOS (excluding stupid scenarios like winning a Mac in a giveaway) is if they need some MacOS-specific programs and can't use any alternatives, and/or are very deep into the Apple ecosystem.

If you want unix, pick a Linux distro and basically any laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

This semester I've help 4 of my classmates compile programs to send to the professor. I still have flashbacks to trying to solve all the issues on their end only for the EXE to not work on windows.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RECOMMEND A MAC FOR A PROGRAMING STUDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down, you don't even know what kind of programming he's doing. You're assuming everything he will do has to be compiled in a way that will run on Windows, and that OP will be completely unable to run said Windows program on his machine.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

only for the EXE to not work on windows

What on earth are you talking about. This has nothing to do with Windows/Mac as operating systems and everything to do about simply using a compiler correctly. 

5 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

We don't even know what type of programming OP's doing. 

I also never recommended OP use either, just suggested that using a Windows VM could be a solution for any compatibility issues. Calm down.

in my experience (i use both, i have a windows pc and a macbook pro) macOS is much neater, more consistent in terms of UI and far far more stable. however, compatibility is not it's strongest point. 

the fact Windows 10 looks like an OS from the 90's in some areas is equally good and bad. it's bad because it makes the UI look like crap, but it's good if you actually want to run an ancient program, since those parts of the OS are still there. 

for most uses though besides gaming, macOS supports most programs you'd need. however, having both available to you is the best thing imo, if i can't run something on my Mac i can just fire it up on my pc. 

in terms of one OS being better than the other, that's mostly just shilling tbh. both OS's have their strong points. Windows has great compatibility but the UI is clunky and it's not the most stable OS ever, and of course Microsoft crams Edge down your throat with every update. macOS is very neat, clutterfree for the most part and very stable, but compatibility for really old programs or games isn't there, and of course you need dedicated apple hardware to run it. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

We don't even know what type of programming OP's doing. 

I also never recommended OP use either, just suggested that using a Windows VM could be a solution for any compatibility issues. Calm down.

5 minutes ago, exhaustedbrit said:

What on earth are you talking about. This has nothing to do with Windows/Mac as operating systems and everything to do about simply using a compiler correctly. 

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Calm down, you don't even know what kind of programming he's doing. You're assuming everything he will do has to be compiled in a way that will run on Windows, and that OP will be completely unable to run said Windows program on his machine.

From my experience, it's been an absolute fire storm trying to get all of my classmates on mac up and running. And if OP is asking questions like this, then he's showing that he's more than likely not familiar and going to have a harder time with the matter at hand. If you're on the fence, ask the professor, but I've seen professors outright refuse to help students on MAC, citing that their syllabus lists a windows computer as a requirement for the class.

I should mention I like MAC, I use MAC computers for personal and entertainment needs, but if I was not so privileged to have the discretionary funds to own a PC, I would not be progressing with my studies because of the one class that's required and taught by one of the professors(not the only one) who refuses to acknowledge that students are working on MAC.

Just now, Jumballi said:

And if OP is asking questions like this, then he's showing that he's more than likely not familiar and going to have a harder time with the matter at hand.

What? He left out more info because it's irrelevant, not because he's stupid.

Just now, Jumballi said:

If you're on the fence, ask the professor, but I've seen professors outright refuse to help students on MAC, citing that their syllabus lists a windows computer as a requirement for the class.

You're still assuming what he's going to be doing in class, that it will need to be submitted as a compiled exe, and that OP can't run Windows in a VM or use some other program to compile/run exes on Mac.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Jumballi said:

their syllabus lists a windows computer as a requirement for the class.

It sounds to me like the problem is nothing to do with using Mac or Windows machines and everything to do with ignorance and expectation that every software engineer must use Windows which in itself raises some very serious questions about the proficiency of the lecturer and the usefulness of the course itself. Whilst I'd agree that Windows is commonplace for the average Joe, when it comes to software development specifically, unless you're using old school Microsoft stack you should be familiar with a bash terminal and your choice of operating system should be a personal preference, otherwise you are doing something very wrong.

You might build your software on windows, but chances are you're going to have to deploy your code on to an Ubuntu server or inside a Kubernetes cluster, or be familiar with *nix architecture and actually use a CLI properly. Being stuck on Windows because your lecturer is stuck in the dark ages is not a good sign.

I am on phone now so i wont be quoting everyone.

I am still not in school,i am self learning until next summer.

I am learning C# atm,will do some basic learning of C and maybe some Assembly to get hang what computer do etc.

As far i am aware Visual studio and visual studio code are available for Mac,and those are software's used by the companys where i wana work.

I never loved windows to be honest,kinda laggy,UI isnt nice like macs,forced updates are irritating.

I am gamer(valorant,bf1,league of legends)

but not being able to game on mac is honestly a + since i will be able to focus more on learning and work.

Linux is kinda weird,idk a lot about it,but from my brief looking at it i feel like i need to be some kind of hacker to use that shit properly,but i am still open on that idea.

I am still not deadset on macs,the new ones look good,next year macbooks will come woth even better ARM chip at least that's speculated.And most importantly based on history of macs they have less problems,and better support then other laptops like dell xps,and lenovos laptop's.

For the course that i will be taking windows laptop isnt requirement,there isnt ever requirement to bring a laptop,at least it isnt on course description online.

Here in Austria education is free,but this course is payed one 5k euros,so there is no way some teacher will refuse to help me cause i am on mac,since thats shit load of money for a course,and people aren't that stupid.

sry for long reply but i my bad that i didnt inxlude all of this info at the beginning.

edited: a typo

22 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What? He left out more info because it's irrelevant, not because he's stupid.

I claimed he is uninformed because that is what his statement claimed. If he had prior experience with a MAC, then that is relevant and should have been there.

22 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You're still assuming what he's going to be doing in class, that it will need to be submitted as a compiled exe, and that OP can't run Windows in a VM or use some other program to compile/run exes on Mac.

And you're claiming that might never be a possibility. So long as the possibility isn't ruled out, you I can't make a recommendation to use a MAC. Again, you could always call the school you're planning to go to, and ask a counselor or academic dean on if a professor at that school can make the same call that my professors have. However, you definitely shouldn't be buying a laptop for a new operating system before you start the course.

17 minutes ago, exhaustedbrit said:

It sounds to me like the problem is nothing to do with using Mac or Windows machines and everything to do with ignorance and expectation that every software engineer must use Windows which in itself raises some very serious questions about the proficiency of the lecturer and the usefulness of the course itself.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but sadly this is the case with public education here in the United States, and I wish I haven't heard similar stories from friends who go to different schools, though it seems my college is particularly bad in this regard.

17 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Linux is kinda weird,idk a lot about it,but from my brief looking at it i feel like i need to be some kind of hacker to use that shit properly,but i am still open on that idea.

Good news, both MAC and PC both offer options for Linux Command Line virtualization, which would be the extant that most schools would cover anyway. I know a friend who does all his school work on a Linux VM, though through a windows laptop, and it's definitely a skill that anyone would recommend building while you've still got room to make mistakes.

22 hours ago, Jumballi said:

From my experience, it's been an absolute fire storm trying to get all of my classmates on mac up and running. And if OP is asking questions like this, then he's showing that he's more than likely not familiar and going to have a harder time with the matter at hand. If you're on the fence, ask the professor, but I've seen professors outright refuse to help students on MAC, citing that their syllabus lists a windows computer as a requirement for the class.

I should mention I like MAC, I use MAC computers for personal and entertainment needs, but if I was not so privileged to have the discretionary funds to own a PC, I would not be progressing with my studies because of the one class that's required and taught by one of the professors(not the only one) who refuses to acknowledge that students are working on MAC.

This seems quite specific to your institution and some random staff members. I've never once had an issue as a Mac user at my university, nor have I heard any similar horror stories from friends/previous co-interns who study at other North American universities (incld. all the big names)--from what I've heard and seen most computer science departments are Unix centric, so requiring windows would be weird.

Going back to anecdotes, I've never had to package an application as an EXE for any of my courses. Intro courses were basically all just hand in code files named a certain way (so they can build them), higher level courses were hand in code files and include a Makefile. In fact, my faculty recommends us run our stuff remotely on our Linux environment, since that's where all the testing is run anyway. 

If you want to hear horror stories, all my classmates who had Windows machines had hellish times working locally with C++/C, whereas none of the macOS people had any issues (since ya know, unix compatibility).

OP: For development, I strong prefer macOS to Windows. Not only is the UI more polished, but the entire experience is less of a pain in the ass. The native terminal is UNIX compatible and there is a great package management tools which everyone uses that makes it extremely convenient to work with (especially since later in your career you'll like use a lot of Linux, you'll start building familiarity).

Honestly, I can't think of a single windows pro beyond specific compatibility, so if you don't have that, I would say macOS will be better. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

21 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

This seems quite specific to your institution and some random staff members. I've never once had an issue as a Mac user at my university, nor have I heard any similar horror stories from friends/previous co-interns who study at other North American universities (incld. all the big names)--from what I've heard and seen most computer science departments are Unix centric, so requiring windows would be weird.

Going back to anecdotes, I've never had to package an application as an EXE for any of my courses. Intro courses were basically all just hand in code files named a certain way (so they can build them), higher level courses were hand in code files and include a Makefile. In fact, my faculty recommends us run our stuff remotely on our Linux environment, since that's where all the testing is run anyway. 

If you want to hear horror stories, all my classmates who had Windows machines had hellish times working locally with C++/C, whereas none of the macOS people had any issues (since ya know, unix compatibility).

OP: For development, I strong prefer macOS to Windows. Not only is the UI more polished, but the experience entire experience is less of a pain in the ass. The native terminal is UNIX compatible and there is a great package management tools which everyone uses that makes it extremely convenient to work with (especially since later in your career you'll like use a lot of Linux, you'll start building familiarity).

Honestly, I can't think of a single windows pro beyond specific compatibility, so if you don't have that, I would say macOS will be better. 

Thank you that was really nice answer from you.

I will think about this year Macbook Air,or if new macbooks are gonna roll out in first half of next year i could wait for that.

Overall, I prefer the overall smoothness, cleanliness, and rock-solid reliability of Mac OS. It's true that there are some advantages to Windows, especially when it comes to gaming, but since I've enrolled in university I haven't really had time for gaming. 

I've been working at my local Apple Store for over 11 years. Ask me anything.

9 hours ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

Overall, I prefer the overall smoothness, cleanliness, and rock-solid reliability of Mac OS. It's true that there are some advantages to Windows, especially when it comes to gaming, but since I've enrolled in university I haven't really had time for gaming. 

I've been working at my local Apple Store for over 11 years. Ask me anything.

Thank you for adding  in your experience.

Soo since you work in Apple store,do you have a lot of contact with people who come for repairs or thibgs like that?

If so,how reliable macs are? Abd what is average  life span of them?

On 12/1/2020 at 2:05 PM, AzzaNezz said:

It really depends on who you ask.

My mom got a Macbook when I was a kid because she was tired of how fast her computers died from Windows updates.

I got my iMac partly because of the update thing, and because I program for systems that have a Unix/Linuxish kind of filesystem, and Mac OS has that.

My brother wants to get a Macbook when he's older, because it's fairly easy for him to use, and he doesn't want to have to deal with Windows being a butthole with updates since he isn't going to use it all the time.

10 hours ago, Underfire17 said:

It really depends on who you ask.

My mom got a Macbook when I was a kid because she was tired of how fast her computers died from Windows updates.

I got my iMac partly because of the update thing, and because I program for systems that have a Unix/Linuxish kind of filesystem, and Mac OS has that.

My brother wants to get a Macbook when he's older, because it's fairly easy for him to use, and he doesn't want to have to deal with Windows being a butthole with updates since he isn't going to use it all the time.

I am getting anoyed with updates aswell,and the constant pop up messeges.

I dont know if its the Windows thing,but all my laptops seem to slow down after like a year,and they arent even bad laptops.