is my 3090 a dud

Smackaroy

i bought the founders edition because it's much cheaper than the aib cards, it's got really good cooling and i could overclock it to the same as AIB cards overclock. but ive noticed when stock it only boosts to 1700mhz and that seems very low considering in the reviews the card is getting up to 2ghz. should i RMA?

How did you reqd clock speeds of the GPU?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Specs, temps, case,...

Basically the 3090 boosts as high as it's temps allows. However this does not mean that it runnin at for example 80c means it's running nice and cool it downclocks itself for safety reasons quickly between 80-85c to prevent overheating. So could just be bad airflow causing it

4 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

should i RMA?

you can only RMA if the behavior is not as advertised. Are you reaching the clock speeds listed on their webpage as the intentional clocks?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

How did you reqd clock speeds of the GPU?

afterburner 

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Specs, temps, case,...

Basically the 3090 boosts as high as it's temps allows. However this does not mean that it runnin at for example 80c means it's running nice and cool it downclocks itself for safety reasons quickly between 80-85c to prevent overheating. So could just be bad airflow causing it

60c it's not overheating 

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you can only RMA if the behavior is not as advertised. Are you reaching the clock speeds listed on their webpage as the intentional clocks?

does your card stay it the advertised clock and not go way above it like it should 

4 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

60c it's not overheating 

Whilst gaming or during doing nothing?

3 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

does your card stay it the advertised clock and not go way above it like it should 

no but anything above the advertised clock speeds is just a bonus and is not guaranteed in any way by the manufacturer, so a card that adheres strictly to the listed boost clocks is not defective.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Smackaroy said:

Gaming 

That is a really low temp is your gpu useage even at 100%?

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

no but anything above the advertised clock speeds is just a bonus and is not guaranteed in any way by the manufacturer, so a card that adheres strictly to the listed boost clocks is not defective.

I have talked to them about a rma they said the same as you but my card has awful coil whine which they said is a fault and I can get a replacement 

Just now, jaslion said:

That is a really low temp is your gpu useage even at 100%?

I had my side panel off and yes I was doing a time spy extreme loop test.

45 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Just thinking if I should refund it and get a aib card instead 

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

I have seen people successfully RMA for "coil whine" which technically isn't a defect either (and likely not even the cards fault lol) 

In any case, maybe returning the card to the seller would be an option, especially in case it's Amazon? 

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

no but anything above the advertised clock speeds is just a bonus

what if the "reviews" showing much higher clock speeds were sponsored by the manufacturer, would that not be false advertising then? (just in theory but I suppose many "reviews" are in fact sponsored by the manufacturer) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Let me guess...you game at 1080p and the card is sitting there with 50% usage and you wonder why it's not boosting?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

check the actual power draw of the card and make sure afterburner isn't limiting it at like 250w, it's happened to others before.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Let me guess...you game at 1080p and the card is sitting there with 50% usage and you wonder why it's not boosting?

im not stupid i know how these cards work and did you read what i have been posting last time i checked time spy extreme is 4k 

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I have seen people successfully RMA for "coil whine" which technically isn't a defect either (and likely not even the cards fault lol) 

In any case, maybe returning the card to the seller would be an option, especially in case it's Amazon? 

what if the "reviews" showing much higher clock speeds were sponsored by the manufacturer, would that not be false advertising then? (just in theory but I suppose many "reviews" are in fact sponsored by the manufacturer) 

it is a legal requirement to say if it is sponsored or not  

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

they said coil whine is a fault so im not complaining 

4 hours ago, Smackaroy said:

afterburner 

There's your problem... Use HWiNFO64 instead.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

well then why don't you just return it if you have that option? 

does it work as "advertised"? probably 

is it a "dud"? well, yeah 

what are we supposed to do about it? 

Return it, sell it, keep it... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

There's your problem... Use HWiNFO64 instead.

not sure what your prob is with Afterburner but I've tested it "extensively", shows the exact same data as hwinfo, hwmonitor, gpuz, PrecisionX... they're all just reading the sensors, there's not much that you can do wrong there... 

I really like Afterburner, it's a bit clunky sure, but it works really well and as long you don't go too deep into settings it's easy to control too... 

meanwhile I do like PrecisionX more, but mostly just because it's more stylish, the osd is easier to set up... (and yet, I can't get auto oc to work no matter what, which wasn't an issue with Afterburner at all...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

not sure what your prob is with Afterburner but I've tested it "extensively", shows the exact same data as hwinfo, hwmonitor, gpuz, PrecisionX... they're all just reading the sensors, there's not much that you can do wrong there... 

Except that until mid-August, it misread my 5700XT sensors... That's over 6 months without accurate readings through Afterburner, and 0 seconds of inaccurate readings from HWiNFO. Can you see why I recommend against Afterburner now?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

7 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Except that until mid-August, it misread my 5700XT sensors... That's over 6 months without accurate readings through Afterburner, and 0 seconds of inaccurate readings from HWiNFO. Can you see why I recommend against Afterburner now?

Eh, I see, weird. I haven't noticed anything like that with my nvidia cards tho. And I've never used Afterburner for AMD cards because I heard it doesn't work so great... which I haven't tested personally but I can imagine it being true either way... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity