RealBench temperature way too high

Apollo190

The Dark Rock Pro 4 should provide enough cooling for your CPU, but the case you are using is not the best suited for it. I'm not sure if adding 2 intake fans on the top front would help, but maybe try that before buying a liquid cooler.

A 360 AIO may work better pulling in fresh air from the top and another alternative is to just get another case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

That doesn’t look like an airflow orientated case. When overclocking, or just using high performance components in general it’s a good idea to move a lot of air. Quiet and high performance don’t usually go hand in hand. It’s still a decent cooler.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

5 hours ago, Apollo190 said:

Asus TUF GT501

The case should fine, but I would take the side panel off and test again. If you get much better results then you know it's an airflow issue.

I would check how well the mount is. Also checking thermal paste spread and check to see if the surfaces are even or not.

Aio info

Best aio is going to be Arctic liquid freezer II 360

Or

ek aio 360

But I'll touch more on those after testing

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

I don't think you need to be worried about damage for the sudden change, its just what is being drawn or not. Yes, Offset mode is a bit more like the auto mode, I'd recommend setting it first and then finding out what you need to add (or start from like +10 mV, to be safe). I don't think it necessary starts from the same base line.

Alrighty, I'll need some time before I can unmount the cooler, and then I'll post the pictures here. Thank you again.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, narrdarr said:

The case should fine, but I would take the side panel off and test again. If you get much better results then you know it's an airflow issue.

I would check how well the mount is. Also checking thermal paste spread and check to see if the surfaces are even or not.

Aio info

Best aio is going to be Arctic liquid freezer II 360

Or

ek aio 360

But I'll touch more on those after testing

Alright, I just tested with and without the side panel. I ran blender classroom test at 1.305V in full load.

With side panel on, it peaked at 91C. Without the side panel, it peaked at 90C, though it did take just a tiny bit longer to reach it. So I'd say not much difference, the airflow should be decent enough right?

I still haven't unmounted the cooler to check the paste spread though, I don't have that drp4 screwdriver that came with it (left it at friend's house, who lives 5 hours of driving away :/ ). I'll see if I can retrieve it in a few days, if not, I'll try to unmount it with a another, shorter screwdriver.

I can't get my hands on ek aio, since nobody here seems to be selling it, but I can get the arctic lf2, and kraken z73 as well.

Btw, I also watched linus video where he tested intel's sub-zero cooler (ml360 sub-zero) from cooler master, is it worth buying? It was incredibly good in gaming, but ran hotter in blender than a normal 360 aio, which doesn't make much sense to me o.O

That tells me your fans aren’t doing very much of anything. Your system should run cooler with the side panel on if your configured properly.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

That tells me your fans aren’t doing very much of anything. Your system should run cooler with the side panel on if your configured properly.

Honestly, from what I've seen over the years, panel off always has better temps than panel on, as well as open test benches. 1 degree difference is negligible. And I can literally feel the air going in when I put my hand in front of the front panel. Same goes for the back panel's exhaust fan. Perforations on the front panel are really wide, and there's even a big hole underneath where the air comes in as well, and back side is almost completely open due to wide perforations.Combine that with 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan(cpu exhaust is right next to it, so it's being helped by it), I don't really see what else there is to do to increase airflow, seems fine to me. Only thing I've noticed is that gpu (tuf 3080) ejects its hot air right in front of the cpu cooler's intake fan, but plenty of reviewers said it doesn't affect the cpu temps so I guess it's not a problem.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

This is not not true. It mean that there isn't an airflow issue. It a mounting issues if anything.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

This is not not true. It mean that there isn't an airflow issue. It a mounting issues if anything.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully I'll be able to unmount the cooler soon and see if I can resolve the problem.

If you're oc'ing to where the DRP4 can't keep up, a 360mm can easily be quieter especially when under load.

What's your core voltage under load and what core clock are you aiming for? Have you tried lowering the core voltage?

The ProSiphon Elite seems available for purchase on their website. https://www.icegiantcooling.com/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're oc'ing to where the DRP4 can't keep up, a 360mm can easily be quieter especially when under load.

What's your core voltage under load and what core clock are you aiming for? Have you tried lowering the core voltage?

When running realbench stress test my voltage fluctuates between 1.288v and 1.296v. That's the lowest I could get to safely. I could lower it to 1.279 without getting bsod, but then I get errors in hwinfo, so I kept it like this. In bios I set the voltage to offset mode and added +0.030v, and I set my llc to level 1. Right now the core clock is set to 4.9GHz on all cores. From what I've seen on youtube and forums so far, it seems like 5.1-5.2GHz on all cores is reasonable, and even higher with good quality chips, so I guess that's what I'm going for,  to go as high as I can with my chip. I've also seen linus overclock it to 5.7GHz with intel-coolermaster sub-zero cooler.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The ProSiphon Elite seems available for purchase on their website. https://www.icegiantcooling.com/

I just checked it out, it would cost me $205 with shipping. I couldn't find many reviews about it besides linus, I don't know how it compares to 360mm aio. Do you think it's worth it?

Also, what do you think about that sub-zero tec cooler?

21 minutes ago, Apollo190 said:

When running realbench stress test my voltage fluctuates between 1.288v and 1.296v. That's the lowest I could get to safely. I could lower it to 1.279 without getting bsod, but then I get errors in hwinfo, so I kept it like this. In bios I set the voltage to offset mode and added +0.030v, and I set my llc to level 1. Right now the core clock is set to 4.9GHz on all cores. From what I've seen on youtube and forums so far, it seems like 5.1-5.2GHz on all cores is reasonable, and even higher with good quality chips, so I guess that's what I'm going for,  to go as high as I can with my chip. I've also seen linus overclock it to 5.7GHz with intel-coolermaster sub-zero cooler.

I just checked it out, it would cost me $205 with shipping. I couldn't find many reviews about it besides linus, I don't know how it compares to 360mm aio. Do you think it's worth it?

Also, what do you think about that sub-zero tec cooler?

I'm not sure but that doesn't seem like great results when comparing to siliconlottery results. 

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/10900k49g

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/10900k51g

Depending on the amount of stability you're aiming for, you can probably hit those higher clocks with a better cooler although it doesn't seem like a great value for the amount of performance gained. Reseating the current cooler may help cooling.

Linus' most recent video on the cooler explains that it isn't yet optimized for monolithic dies like the 10900k so I wouldn't recommend it. 

Which sub-zero tec cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure but that doesn't seem like great results when comparing to siliconlottery results. 

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/10900k49g

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/10900k51g

Depending on the amount of stability you're aiming for, you can probably hit those higher clocks with a better cooler although it doesn't seem like a great value for the amount of performance gained. Reseating the current cooler may help cooling.

Linus' most recent video on the cooler explains that it isn't yet optimized for monolithic dies like the 10900k so I wouldn't recommend it. 

Which sub-zero tec cooler?

This one https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/ml360-sub-zero-cryo-clocking/

I also managed to unmount the cooler without original screwdriver, but putting it back is gonna be painful. 

Here are the pictures:

20201203_123249.thumb.jpg.daf52e3bde9351a5c14e4f469d821fe2.jpg20201203_123403.thumb.jpg.7160cb80eea8848af8cc416b145e72fa.jpg

And this is how I applied the paste when I got it:

1456495830_Screenshot_20201203-123428_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.853c9dd14ef0c217361ea596e6285c68.jpg

@For Science!

I managed to unmount the cooler without original screwdriver, but putting it back will be painful.

Here are the pictures:

20201203_123249.thumb.jpg.32ec2157eb47d06839177ba0baae4daf.jpg20201203_123403.thumb.jpg.6e3ab429ec39d04d46b50ca30b25ca1b.jpg

And this is how I applied the paste when I got it:

1513675792_Screenshot_20201203-123428_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.dc6d162f560449e76740e8266105a2d7.jpg

Good news is that the mounting pressure looked to be adequate, the bad news is then you aren’t going to get much more out of the cooler apart from increasing fan speed, and therefore it’ll be more about voltages.

35 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Good news is that the mounting pressure looked to be adequate, the bad news is then you aren’t going to get much more out of the cooler apart from increasing fan speed, and therefore it’ll be more about voltages.

Did I put enough paste there? It looks really thin on the cpu now, I can even see the letters on the cpu. The fans were already running at their max speed, 1500rpm and 1200rpm. 

I set my voltage to offset mode but couldn't put more than -10mV because system kept crashing on idle, but was fine under load. So I decided to decrease llc to level 1 instead, and put +30mV, so now I'm getting between 1.288v and 1.296v under heavy load. That's the lowest I could go in order to have no issues. I could lower it to 1.279 without system crashing, but then I'd occasionally get errors in hwinfo.

What do you suggest me to do from here? Should I get an aio, icegiant prosiphon elite or maybe this https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/ml360-sub-zero-cryo-clocking/ ? Although I don't know if the last 2 would be compatible with my motherboard and case, they probably should be.

You can always try a spot fan at the base of the cooler that covers the VRM package area.

Since the tower cooler does nothing to cool this section of the board, it may help significantly. This is the reason why stock coolers (all, both manufacturers) all blow down. 

Even with a water loop, its recommended to cool the VRM package area with a spot fan.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can always try a spot fan at the base of the cooler that covers the VRM package area.

Since the tower cooler does nothing to cool this section of the board, it may help significantly. This is the reason why stock coolers (all, both manufacturers) all blow down. 

Even with a water loop, its recommended to cool the VRM package area with a spot fan.

But my vrm temperature seems fine, it never goes above 50C in hwinfo, even under heavy loads.

Just now, Apollo190 said:

But my vrm temperature seems fine, it never goes above 50C in hwinfo, even under heavy loads.

Itll help cool the base of the cooler ;)

Means start removing heat at the source, right at the bottom.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Itll help cool the base of the cooler ;)

Means start removing heat at the source, right at the bottom.

Oh I see. I don't know how I'd actually do it, there's not much space left. Maybe at the top of the case only.

Erm, it's been a while since you posted this thread, but I'd chalk it up to MCE being MCE. It shoves unnecessary voltage into the CPU to make sure it's stable, since it's about as quick and dirty of an overclock as it can get.

Disable MCE in the BIOS, and then set the Vcore voltage to Auto, at least for now.

If you want higher speeds than the stock all-core boost, do a manual overclock.

You don't need a custom loop for a 10900K, that's silly.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

12 minutes ago, Apollo190 said:

Oh I see. I don't know how I'd actually do it, there's not much space left. Maybe at the top of the case only.

Some spot fans are on an adjustable fixture so you can aim it where needed. 

25 minutes ago, Apollo190 said:

Did I put enough paste there? It looks really thin on the cpu now, I can even see the letters on the cpu. The fans were already running at their max speed, 1500rpm and 1200rpm. 

I set my voltage to offset mode but couldn't put more than -10mV because system kept crashing on idle, but was fine under load. So I decided to decrease llc to level 1 instead, and put +30mV, so now I'm getting between 1.288v and 1.296v under heavy load. That's the lowest I could go in order to have no issues. I could lower it to 1.279 without system crashing, but then I'd occasionally get errors in hwinfo.

What do you suggest me to do from here? Should I get an aio, icegiant prosiphon elite or maybe this https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/ml360-sub-zero-cryo-clocking/ ? Although I don't know if the last 2 would be compatible with my motherboard and case, they probably should be.

Paste looks great, the point is to fill gaps, not introduce another layer. So where you can see the letters, it has good metal-to-metal contact, which is what you want.

I think you're at the point where the question of need/want come into play, are you willing to spend another couple hundred or so USD (or more) for perhaps 0.1~0.2 GHz performance? If so, it may be worth a try, certainly a bigger AIO or the Icegiant will give you another couple degrees headroom, although whether that will actually let you go up another step in the OC depends on your luck.

You can look down here for silicon lottery of the 10900K, it sounds like you're slightly on the losing side of what the chip is capable of on average. Personally, I think I'd recommend you to know that you've done all that you can, and so just sit back, relax, and enjoy the performance that the PC is capable of.

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Realbench stresses all of your components (which makes it more realistic) so it's possible it's dumping more GPU heat from that 3080 right onto your CPU, which is raising your cpu temp.

P95 and blender cpu render test are CPU only, and GPU are idle. That could account for cpu temperature differences between the tests.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x