RealBench temperature way too high

Apollo190
Just now, Bombastinator said:

Looking at your first link, that’s not a 120 it’s a 240.  

There is a 120 that apparently keeps up with the dark rock3.  I’m not sure what the difference is between a dark rock 3 and a darkrock pro4 is.

third link uses a 4970k @4.6 as a test bench which strikes me as a bit odd.

The links include results from the coolers mentioned but aren't direct reviews of said coolers. 

I don't see a DR3. Did you mean the DRP3? The DRP3 seems to perform slightly better than the DRP4. 

What's odd about using an oc'ed 4790K for thermal testing?

There are 360 rads getting beat by 120 rads in that list. These are very different that the stuff I’ve seen lately.

Apparently manufacture of coolers has changed a lot in only a few years or something.  

What stuff have you seen lately?

360mm's being beaten by 120mm's isn't the norm but it does happen on occasion depending on the testing conditions and the specific coolers being compared.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

44 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The links include results from the coolers mentioned but aren't direct reviews of said coolers. 

I don't see a DR3. Did you mean the DRP3? The DRP3 seems to perform slightly better than the DRP4. 

What's odd about using an oc'ed 4790K for thermal testing?

What stuff have you seen lately?

360mm's being beaten by 120mm's isn't the norm but it does happen on occasion depending on the testing conditions and the specific coolers being compared.

What’s odd? It’s an old chip is all.  Old even when the review was done.  In cooler comparisons a cpu is just a heat source so it doesn’t matter much.  Still, odd. As to the DRP3 I don’t know how it compares.  

lately I’ve mostly paid attention to the GN stuff.  They’ve got really good equipment for that.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What’s odd? It’s an old chip is all.  Old even when the review was done.  In cooler comparisons a cpu is just a heat source so it doesn’t matter much.  Still, odd. As to the DRP3 I don’t know how it compares.  

lately I’ve mostly paid attention to the GN stuff.  They’ve got really good equipment for that.  

It's common to use the same cpu for testing thermals since you can compare new data without having to retest old coolers on new cpus. Most reviewers that use newer cpus seem to not have many coolers tested and / or started testing coolers more recently.

Gamers Nexus is a great source but they've tested a rather small selection of coolers tested so far. Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't covered any thick 120mm AIO's.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.