I Want An X570 MOBO

2Geeky

As the title states, I would like to buy an X570 MOBO for my first build. Please don't ask me if I really need it or if I will fully utilize it. Yes, I will OC if that is your main concern. I am aware that X570 boards are typically for extreme OCing but they also have multiple m.2 slots that I will be utilizing, as well as very helpful troubleshooting features. Those troubleshooting features are a big reason I would like an X570 as I am new to all of this and think it is a good idea to have as much troubleshooting assistance as possible just in case. I also very much want a BIOS Flash on the board as I already have a Ryzen 5900X and do not want to deal with USB drives for flashing or needing another CPU. I also have the budget for it, so I am not concerned with it causing me to cut corners elsewhere in my build. I really just want a MOBO that will fill all my needs and the X570 is what I've decided on.

That being said, what would be a good X570 option? I've been looking at the MSI Unify - seems to cover all my needs. Only drawback for me (and it's a very stupid one, I know) is that my buddy just bought one and I don't want to have the same build (STUPID, I know lol). Aside from that one, the only other options that I felt were good alternatives are the AORUS Master or the Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi - obvious drawback being that they are a much larger jump in price.

6 minutes ago, 2Geeky said:

Yes, I will OC if that is your main concern. I am aware that X570 boards are typically for extreme OCing but they also have multiple m.2 slots that I will be utilizing, as well as very helpful troubleshooting features.

Well, a few things to clear up

1) any motherboard with a beefy VRM is good at extreme overclocking. There are B550 motherboards that are better than X570 boards.

2) lots of B550 motherboards have dual M.2, some have triple. The only difference is PCIe 3.0 from the chipset instead of 4.0.

3) what features? Again, lots of B550 motherboards with useful troubleshooting features like error LEDs and BIOS flashback.

How much money are you looking to spend, and what CPU are you going to use? And what specific board features are a must?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i would go b550. they support overclocking and trougbleshooting as well as x570 and you can have 3  m.2 slots. if you need more than 3 m.2 slots, sure, go x570.

the unify is a great board get it. Your friend won't care. Your build your choice

I have just upgraded to a Ryzen 9 5950X and Mobo of my choise was MSI Prestige X570 Creation model. It's E-ATX board so you must make sure it fits your case. Everything else about this board is just great. I am truly happy with my choise. Main sell point for me was the vast number of USB ports it had. VRM is super good and system is super stable. 

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, a few things to clear up

1) any motherboard with a beefy VRM is good at extreme overclocking. There are B550 motherboards that are better than X570 boards.

2) lots of B550 motherboards have dual M.2, some have triple. The only difference is PCIe 3.0 from the chipset instead of 4.0.

3) what features? Again, lots of B550 motherboards with useful troubleshooting features like error LEDs and BIOS flashback.

How much money are you looking to spend, and what CPU are you going to use? And what specific board features are a must?

1) Which B550 boards would you say are better than X570 boards? More specifically would they be better than any of those boards I listed? Someone recommended a B550 Vision D but I haven't really seen any reviews stating it as being worth the money. In my eyes, if I'm going to spend that much money for the MOBO, I might as well just buy an X570 that has ALL the features I want.

2) The 4.0 chipset is another of the features I would rather have

3) So, specifically, the BIOS Flash, Restart, troubleshooting LEDs, Post Code, and a good Rear IO with the BIOS and Restart there as well. My buddy told me that his Post Code defaults to board temp when it's idle which I thought was pretty useful as well (don't know if they all do that or not).

4) My budget is really not an issue but I would not go any higher in price than the Crosshair VIII or AORUS Master. I know I would not fully utilize those boards so anything more than them is just ludicrous and I cannot justify the price. I would ideally like to have all of those features satisfied, not just this one or that one, ya know? I will be using a Ryzen 9 5900X and (once I manage to buy one) an RTX 3080. I would say absolute musts are the Post Code, BIOS Flash (Rear IO). Restart (Rear IO), and multiple m.2 slots.

Thanks for helping me out!

25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i would go b550. they support overclocking and trougbleshooting as well as x570 and you can have 3  m.2 slots. if you need more than 3 m.2 slots, sure, go x570.

Definitely will not need more than 3 m.2 slots lol. Which B550 boards would you say are capable of all that? Someone recommended the B550 Vision D but for that amount of money I don't see why I wouldn't just buy the Unify which has even more features.

16 minutes ago, Tolga D. said:

I have just upgraded to a Ryzen 9 5950X and Mobo of my choise was MSI Prestige X570 Creation model. It's E-ATX board so you must make sure it fits your case. Everything else about this board is just great. I am truly happy with my choise. Main sell point for me was the vast number of USB ports it had. VRM is super good and system is super stable. 

Thank you for the rec. While my budget is not an issue, I personally can not justify that MOBO lol. I'm sure it's an absolute beast of a MOBO but it is not the board for me. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, 2Geeky said:

Definitely will not need more than 3 m.2 slots lol. Which B550 boards would you say are capable of all that? Someone recommended the B550 Vision D but for that amount of money I don't see why I wouldn't just buy the Unify which has even more features.

4 hours ago, 2Geeky said:

Thank you for the rec. While my budget is not an issue, I personally can not justify that MOBO lol. I'm sure it's an absolute beast of a MOBO but it is not the board for me. Thank you!

Here (In Turkey) it was cheaper then a Crosshair VIII (even from the one that does not come with Wifi) and the additional M.2 extension that comes with the package is super usefull. So total number of M.2 slot number raises to 4. That is quite enough. 

23 hours ago, 2Geeky said:

4) My budget is really not an issue but I would not go any higher in price than the Crosshair VIII or AORUS Master. I know I would not fully utilize those boards so anything more than them is just ludicrous and I cannot justify the price. I would ideally like to have all of those features satisfied, not just this one or that one, ya know? I will be using a Ryzen 9 5900X and (once I manage to buy one) an RTX 3080. I would say absolute musts are the Post Code, BIOS Flash (Rear IO). Restart (Rear IO), and multiple m.2 slots.

rear I/O restart is a very uncommon feature so you're looking at a very small selection of boards with your criteria.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Get the X570 Unify or if you don't want the same one as your friend then get the MEG ACE. I prefer the ACE over the Hero (have had both). 

My MSI B550 Gaming Carbon is overclocking my CPU (5900X) and RAM extremely well! And the VRMs stay very cool! 

I've used the Taichi, Tomahawk, Hero and MEG ACE and I think I get slightly better performance on my MSIs and I like the BIOS more. But the Master and Hero are both great boards but I think having 3x NVMe is better than having 2.. Not sure why Asus did just 2x AND released another more expensive board STILL with only 2, stupid. 

MEG ACE or Master. Pick one of those and be happy! 

On 11/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, Tolga D. said:

Here (In Turkey) it was cheaper then a Crosshair VIII (even from the one that does not come with Wifi) and the additional M.2 extension that comes with the package is super usefull. So total number of M.2 slot number raises to 4. That is quite enough. 

O wow, I wish that was true here in the States. Unfortunately it is a $500 board here and I've never once see it go on sale. I wish it would because I would for sure buy that in an instant. What is your use for your PC? It sounds like a monster setup

On 11/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, mrdoubtfull said:

Get the X570 Unify or if you don't want the same one as your friend then get the MEG ACE. I prefer the ACE over the Hero (have had both). 

My MSI B550 Gaming Carbon is overclocking my CPU (5900X) and RAM extremely well! And the VRMs stay very cool! 

I've used the Taichi, Tomahawk, Hero and MEG ACE and I think I get slightly better performance on my MSIs and I like the BIOS more. But the Master and Hero are both great boards but I think having 3x NVMe is better than having 2.. Not sure why Asus did just 2x AND released another more expensive board STILL with only 2, stupid. 

MEG ACE or Master. Pick one of those and be happy! 

thank you!

On 11/29/2020 at 4:28 PM, 2Geeky said:

O wow, I wish that was true here in the States. Unfortunately it is a $500 board here and I've never once see it go on sale. I wish it would because I would for sure buy that in an instant. What is your use for your PC? It sounds like a monster setup

I mainly use it for Sim Racing. So it must constantly support 5120x1440@120 Fps to match my ultrawide Samsung CRG 90 monitor. I also do a lot of Musical work on it. So I use lots of Memory (64GB) and Cpu Cores to keep up with all those virtual insturments. It may sound like overkill to some, but I try to keep my cpu and mobo for long long generations maybe only updating graphics card along the way. To be honest my oldest computer can still run in FHD almost everything and that is a second generation Core i7 2600K. So as long as we don't go way too nerdy, "Future proof" truly exist imho.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:40 AM, Tolga D. said:

I mainly use it for Sim Racing. So it must constantly support 5120x1440@120 Fps to match my ultrawide Samsung CRG 90 monitor. I also do a lot of Musical work on it. So I use lots of Memory (64GB) and Cpu Cores to keep up with all those virtual insturments. It may sound like overkill to some, but I try to keep my cpu and mobo for long long generations maybe only updating graphics card along the way. To be honest my oldest computer can still run in FHD almost everything and that is a second generation Core i7 2600K. So as long as we don't go way too nerdy, "Future proof" truly exist imho.

If you're using it all then there is nothing wrong with it. I mean, even if you're not using it all but it is what you wanted and you're happy then who cares right? That is what I'm looking to do as well though, buy top quality that I can so that it will last for a good number of years before I need to update. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 1:22 AM, 2Geeky said:

If you're using it all then there is nothing wrong with it. I mean, even if you're not using it all but it is what you wanted and you're happy then who cares right? That is what I'm looking to do as well though, buy top quality that I can so that it will last for a good number of years before I need to update. 

Cheers to that :)