PC Tech Support Challenge

CPotter
7 hours ago, naturallyaspirated6 said:

Is there any way to see who won the giveaway or do we just have to check the mails to be notified?

Thanks!

Yes would love to know myself, hope the news is good

6 hours ago, Charlie23 said:

@CPotter and @Chase Douglas, Any news on the winners for the Rigs?
How will winners be notified?

Thanks

@Charlie23

For giveaways we reach out to winners through email to confirm details and once all the winners have responded we'll make a social post to let everyone know that the winners have been chosen. We typically don't reveal any of the winners information to avoid anyone getting doxxed.

Winners have already been picked for this one so you'll probably see a tweet about it go out soon.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:51 PM, dnap123 said:

cool thanks for the info

The audio/video was a bit more complicated than it normally would be since we wanted to separate Jay and Steve into different chat rooms to avoid any tips being provided by Linus and Austin, plus it let them speculate and talk to the audience without worrying about Steve or Jay overhearing them.

Jay went over this in a vid but to recap we used Discord to split people into different rooms and to also let anyone else behind the scenes sit in a room to help with troubleshooting ,which was a save when Austins audio stopped working at the beginning since we let him know behind the scenes asap. It still took a few minutes to get him back in the call, but it could have been longer. None of this audio was heard on stream since it was really just to let the guys communicate in real time.

For the stream audio and video we used a website called https://obs.ninja/ to act as an online video conference for captured audio/video. It's super helpful if you use OBS as you can take everyone's source from obs.ninja and put it into your OBS scene as a browser source, letting you adjust delay or move the the source around as needed I think it's also peer-to-peer or has some other limited routing making it fairly high quality and low latency (provided that you have a solid internet connection).

The ervice was also helpful since you can create different links to adjust what is seen/heard by each person in the conference call. For example Jay and Steve had join links that did not let them see/hear any video or audio from the conference call while Austin a link that allowed him to view everyone's video/audio since he needed a way to see what was happening before it got sent to the stream, since there is a much larger delay on that.

If this kind of thing happens again in the future the audio would need a bit of a rework, but 99.99% of people don't need to deal with the whole "separate room" ordeal. I know there are other solutions out there for this sort of thing, but this worked really well with the tools we are already familiar with. 

13 hours ago, Charlie23 said:

@CPotter and @Chase Douglas, Any news on the winners for the Rigs?
How will winners be notified?

Thanks

@Charlie23

Well it wasn't me, no email.  :)  Congrats to those who won.

Cool video, going to be building a Gaming PC with my nephew next weekend.   Trying to get him to watch some of the videos.

• 3 months later...

Hello , please can i ask where (pls link?) I can watch announced (Linus announced it on Wan show at 1:21:54 ) it should be today? 24.11.2020 at "10:30 PT" (Pacific central time???? am CET so i need to know the Zone exact to calculate the time) And how can i watch it and been included in the giveaway? Pls? 

I cant find ANYWHERE something , anything about it. 

Thank YOU!
Thomas.Prevo

9 hours ago, Mr.Prevo said:

Hello , please can i ask where (pls link?) I can watch announced (Linus announced it on Wan show at 1:21:54 ) it should be today? 24.11.2020 at "10:30 PT" (Pacific central time???? am CET so i need to know the Zone exact to calculate the time) And how can i watch it and been included in the giveaway? Pls? 

I cant find ANYWHERE something , anything about it. 

They say it in there. The stream will be at 10:30 pacific (25 minutes) on YouTube, floatplane, and twitch.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Poor Linus/LMG Team, it seems like he can't get away from audio issues with these streams

We may never know what spectacular wisdom he sought to convey.

ULTIMATE RGB PC Tech Support Challenge!

In all seriousness though, with the recent quarantine I started livestreaming for work and now know how crazy it is to get all the moving parts to work together, and I am definitely not trying to get 4 sources from different parts of the continent. I will say that this has been the biggest step in my career thus far and that you all have played a huge part in teaching me about tech and helping me find the confidence to do this for a living. I have found that I have learned a huge amount watching the WAN show, the build streams, and these other streams about how to prepare for and more importantly react to situations like this one (heaven knows I have had a few). That and I love this new competition more than I have any logical reason to. So keep up the good work and thanks for sticking to it and trying new things, no matter how many wrenches you have to clean out of the gears!

silence_of_the_tech_tip.png

For the more recent stream co-hosted with Dmitri from Hardware Canucks the discussion thread can be found here:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Do you guys need a co host? Can't you just have Linus host it on his own? I watched the one that was co-hosted by Austin Evans and also the current one with Dmitry and I think in both of those streams the co-hosts were kinda passive. Would have been just as good or better without them. If you want a second host, why not bring someone from the ltt team? Someone that works well with Linus.

8 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

Do you guys need a co host? Can't you just have Linus host it on his own? I watched the one that was co-hosted by Austin Evans and also the current one with Dmitry and I think in both of those streams the co-hosts were kinda passive. Would have been just as good or better without them. If you want a second host, why not bring someone from the ltt team? Someone that works well with Linus.

it's kinda like "Do you need a co-host on ____ podcast?" (btw check out the WAN show if you haven't). It's better for conversation, even if it's just agreeing with the host.

It's much more uncomfortable to talk to a camera then a regular person. From experience.

Also about the LTT team thing. Why not make yourself look slightly better by featuring another channel then your own?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

why not bring someone from the ltt team?

Because these events are a replacement for LTX 2020, and inter-channel cooperation is kinda the theme and the point of LTX

I see. Didn't knew that they were a replacement for LTX. I still find them super awkward.