PC Tech Support Challenge

CPotter
14 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

any idea on the gleam secret code entry?

Yeah. I never saw it either. The contest page says watch for it in chat, but I had to turn chat off because you couldn't make heads or tails of anything with half the people streaming chatting "binod" every 10ms.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

This was awesome! Some really evil "faults" in those systems! :D

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

Next time suggestion: have a live YouTube feed for each contestant individually too.  Jay was talking away and it would be interesting to hear, but you had him muted for your narration, which we like to hear on the main feed, but it would be cool for us the viewers to be able to turn up the participants at will.

10 hours ago, ocanada_techguy said:

PST??  Isn't Canada on Daylight Savings?  I think you mean 12noon PT or PDT.  If we show up at 12pm PST we're going to miss the start by an hour.  How many points does LMG get deducted on this Tech Support Challenge for this? 😅

Ooo, do a TechQuickie how daylight savings works. "y u not no dis?"  Also how it messes-up where operating systems like Windows magically incorrectly displayed the file modified datetime for half the files or the other half of the files all year round LOL

You made an account to comment on the daylight savings thing? That is pedantry at its finest!

freeshipltx - The code isn't working for me, is it only locked to USA/Canada or something?
Nvm

CPU: AMD 5800X3D / Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S / Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 / GPU: EVGA GTX1070 SC / RAM 64GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB / SSD: WD Black NVME / HDD 1: ADATA XPG SX9200 Pro / HDD 2: Lexus NS100 / PSU: CORSAIR RM850 / Case: Corsair 5000D

I can't use the freeshipltx code either. Is it available for SEA?

Was too late lmao, nvm

4 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Oh I can think of many more that they should have done, like unseating the wire on the pump header just enough so the pump doesn't get power but not so much that you can't see it. Or soldering a very very tiny wire to the front panel connector thingy so the power button is always shorted.

I think they were sticking to things that some hapless individual might do when building a system for the first time.

The reset wire idea is diabolical though. Bravo!

5 hours ago, ocanada_techguy said:

Next time suggestion: have a live YouTube feed for each contestant individually too.  Jay was talking away and it would be interesting to hear, but you had him muted for your narration, which we like to hear on the main feed, but it would be cool for us the viewers to be able to turn up the participants at will.

That's probably hard to pull off since they're in different locations. So there will be synchronization issues.

It's solveable though:

Have the contestants setup up their stream to relay to a nginx machine that then clones the stream to each streamer's youtube as well as to the hosts ingress feed. But also have the contestants record stream so that it can be properly edited and synchronized later. This way you can also relay those streams to youtube, twitch, facebook, etc.

I like Steve's approach, it's very similar to how techies would approach a "this thing is broken, fix it" where the client isn't worried about how much it costs to fix. Also make it run better than the SI/OEM set it up. Take it apart, rebuild it, reset the bios, tweak things.

Jayz is more of the business/customer tech approach where each problem is found as they're discovered. The amusing thing was the missing SSD that had been stuck to the heat spreader, because that is literately something you will encounter... in laptops.

I'd sort of cheat a bit and just take system entirely apart and assembling it again from scratch, eliminating any intentional mistakes. Probably faster than diagnosing all sorts of crap one by one.

9 hours ago, andyyy-FM said:

I can't use the freeshipltx code either. Is it available for SEA?

Was too late lmao, nvm

How do you know you were too late? Code not working for me.

UK here, its Sunday, thought it was a weekend deal?

Later in the stream Linus qualifies its for the duration of the stream only :( I was Asleep during the live stream lol Bloody time zones...

Edited by HumanizerDroid

I was wondering why they didn't restore default settings in the BIOS - It would have saved so much time...

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Steve did the CMOS/BIOS reset, Jay didn't.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

INTELTECH is the code

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

is it possible to get the background images of the pc's? :) 

You want a real challenge?

Set up one box with WinNT 4.0 no patches, infected by Nimda

and another box which is bone stock Windows ME.

Attach both to a public IP, 

Challenge: Clean/disinfect and harden, all while attached to said public IP.

Now *that's* a real challenge.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

So I watched the VOD yesterday and I absolutely loved the competition. Such a great idea guys!

I do have a suggestion for future streams if you decide to do it again or do something similar.

Take a page out of sporting events any use sideline reporters. This way, you could have one person dedicated to what Jay is doing and other dedicated to what Steve was doing. A lot was lost when Linus and Austin were talking with each other or the other contestant. (such as Steve resetting BIOS when they were talking with Jay). A sideline reporter would be able to keep an eye on one stream only and then report back to the main commentators during the check-ins. 

Overall it was a ton of fun and I am really looking forward to more stuff like this in the future!

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

did anyone catch the "lie nus tech tips" at 29:38? I found that very funny.

I'm so curious about how you managed to get Jay, Steve, Linus, and Austin all on one stream. I could understand it if they were all in one location, but they are in different locations (I assume). And the video quality is great!

I'm wondering what program and techniques you guys used. The reason I'm asking is because I'm involved in a live stream event with many different gamers streaming from their own homes. I'm wondering if I'd be able to use your technique to add one of their streams at a time into our main channel (twitch channel) and switch to a different streamer when the previous streamer is done.

Thanks so much for reading!

dnap123

I had to find a place to share this to those who've seen the challenge:

StuckToTheCover.png

57 minutes ago, dnap123 said:

I'm so curious about how you managed to get Jay, Steve, Linus, and Austin all on one stream. I could understand it if they were all in one location, but they are in different locations (I assume). And the video quality is great!

I'm wondering what program and techniques you guys used. The reason I'm asking is because I'm involved in a live stream event with many different gamers streaming from their own homes. I'm wondering if I'd be able to use your technique to add one of their streams at a time into our main channel (twitch channel) and switch to a different streamer when the previous streamer is done.

Thanks so much for reading!

dnap123

I'm almost positive they were just using discord. lol

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I'm almost positive they were just using discord. lol

so a restream then. The video quality of the streams seemed really great, so I was wondering if it was something different

2 minutes ago, dnap123 said:

so a restream then. The video quality of the streams seemed really great, so I was wondering if it was something different

Yeah Steve said something to that nature in his video today. 

ask me about my homelab

27 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Yeah Steve said something to that nature in his video today. 

cool thanks for the info