Use SSD with HDD for games (mentioned on LTT episode)?

Video Beagle

I had a LTT video on in the background...not sure what it was..I think a build stream, maybe recent...Or maybe the Prime Day one....it had autoplayed after whatever and I left it on as I focused on other stuff.  ANYWAY, Linus (I think) said they were putting a m2 drive in for the system, then a HDD for storage but would couple it with a SSD that would get the more needed files moved to it for quicker access.

Now, this sounds like the Fusion Drive I have in my iMac, made of part SSD and part HDD..so the concept is known to me...two physical drives/1 logical drive... but how is such implemented in windows? What's the non-mac term I want to search on to learn more (like I have a 500 gb ssd collecting dust for a year, with the plan for it to supplement the 4tb storage hdd in my windows pc, but if I can use them together like this, that'd would be ideal).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

It might've been Intel Optane or AMD StoreMI.

Or maybe it was just an SSD and HDD seperately.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I had a LTT video on in the background...not sure what it was..I think a build stream, maybe recent...Or maybe the Prime Day one....it had autoplayed after whatever and I left it on as I focused on other stuff.  ANYWAY, Linus (I think) said they were putting a m2 drive in for the system, then a HDD for storage but would couple it with a SSD that would get the more needed files moved to it for quicker access.

Now, this sounds like the Fusion Drive I have in my iMac, made of part SSD and part HDD..so the concept is known to me...two physical drives/1 logical drive... but how is such implemented in windows? What's the non-mac term I want to search on to learn more (like I have a 500 gb ssd collecting dust for a year, with the plan for it to supplement the 4tb storage hdd in my windows pc, but if I can use them together like this, that'd would be ideal).

the easiest way to do that is with AMD StoreMI 2.0, with a 240GB Kinston A400 the speed of my 1TB WD Blue HDD went up from about 120Mb/sec to the speed of about Sata 2 SSD

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

It might've been Intel Optane or AMD StoreMI.

Or maybe it was just an SSD and HDD seperately.

For sure wasn't optane..and it was something that handled it automatically... maybe the StoreMi (I did a quick google and that sounds like the type of tech I'm thinking of....(sigh, my Youtube history gives me no clues :()

Edit: doesnt' look like the storemi works with my gear, alas.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

2 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

For sure wasn't optane..and it was something that handled it automatically... maybe the StoreMi (I did a quick google and that sounds like the type of tech I'm thinking of....(sigh, my Youtube history gives me no clues :()

Edit: doesnt' look like the storemi works with my gear, alas.

yeah you need B450 board and up for that feature, not sure if A520 will support that feature tho, also you can't use RAID with StoreMI 2.0 if i recall correctly

If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Intel has "Rapid Storage Technology" (RST).

AMD has StoreMI.

RST? mind to explain what's the difference between RST and Optane?

Current PC Spec

Use PrimoCache with any SSD and HDD to pair them into hybrid mode. Basically you'll have the capacity of the HDD with near speeds of SSD. For a cost of 30$/€ assuming you already have both HDD and SSD.

Well I m about to build a PC for a friend. For a consumer, a good nvme will be 130€ for 1 TB, it wasn't worthy to have a 70€ for 500 GB nvme, and an additional 1TB HDD for 50€ more. That for the system build cost. How for hybrid I don't know

49 minutes ago, Morris_lee_9116 said:

RST? mind to explain what's the difference between RST and Optane?

Optane is a special type of memory that is extremely fast. The problem with Optane is that it is usually very expensive so manufacturers tend to only use it for small caches.

Optane is hardware.

RST is software.

48 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Use PrimoCache with any SSD and HDD to pair them into hybrid mode. Basically you'll have the capacity of the HDD with near speeds of SSD. For a cost of 30$/€ assuming you already have both HDD and SSD.

Or they can use the free software that most likely is already supported on OP's platform and safe themselves 30 dollars.

43 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Well I m about to build a PC for a friend. For a consumer, a good nvme will be 130€ for 1 TB, it wasn't worthy to have a 70€ for 500 GB nvme, and an additional 1TB HDD for 50€ more. That for the system build cost. How for hybrid I don't know

That's what I have found as well when looking into SSD caching.

It usually doesn't make sense because SSDs has gotten so cheap. It made more sense when a 40GB SSD was like 100 dollars, but not anymore.

It's better to just have separate drives. That gives you more control over what software you put where as well.

I also never heard of anyone getting storemi actually working, only issues with slow or none working computers... that's all I know about it, and all I *need* to know about it... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

.t's better to just have separate drives. That gives you more control over what software you put where as well.

Things like search, import export, setup a few things are sometimes not working on my PC that I use both. So for a newbie I choose the single nvme, I think is more newbie friendly

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Optane is a special type of memory that is extremely fast. The problem with Optane is that it is usually very expensive so manufacturers tend to only use it for small caches.

Optane is hardware.

RST is software.

Or they can use the free software that most likely is already supported on OP's platform and safe themselves 30 dollars.

That's what I have found as well when looking into SSD caching.

It usually doesn't make sense because SSDs has gotten so cheap. It made more sense when a 40GB SSD was like 100 dollars, but not anymore.

It's better to just have separate drives. That gives you more control over what software you put where as well.

RST and StoreMI are shit solutions. Not only you have zero control over it, it's also volatile. Which means, if SSD shits itself, you lose ALL data or in best case you have unbootable system and you have to somehow get it up again. Almost as if you're using RAID 0. With PrimoCache, you can adjust caching mechanism, adjust read/write caching ratio, use memory as buffer, dedicate only portion of drive, use multiple SSD's for single accelerated HDD etc and best of all, if SSD shits itself, all you'll lose is just the speed as it'll fall back to HDD speed. Decoupling is also super easy. You just deactivate the cache and you're done. All other solutions do some weird synchronization/pairing which I'm not fan of at all. Don't be cheap, spend 30 bucks for lifetime license and you can thank me later. Or I can say told you so when ou encounter all the horrible problems RST/StoreMI bring. Tried it once and it was terrible. PrimoCache, while maybe overwhelming for first time users it's just so much better it's simply not comparable.

As always, I'm not affiliate with PrimoCache developers in any way (I really need to state this now since I recommend it so often it feels like I'm a shill now), I was just so impressed by reliability, performance and simplicity of their tool that I always recommend it to anyone looking to accelerate HDD using SSD. The thing is just brilliant and totally worth it.

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Any you know of? (windows 10....this is a built in feature of macs :) )

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Any you know of? (windows 10....this is a built in feature of macs :) )

Well crap. Just noticed your signature that's says A320 motherboard. 

Sorry in that case the thing I was thinking of won't work.