SURVEY What CPU/GPU combo do you use?

Go to solution Solved by Lord Szechenyi,

meta-chart.thumb.png.dabe76656d0ab108cac40ec77b248781.png

Reviving this thread since we now have 12th gen intel and M1 CPUs

(remember, you can always re-vote if your setup has since changed)

Order is CPU/GPU (or igpu) (ATI counts as AMD)  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Order is CPU/GPU (or igpu) (ATI counts as AMD)

• Intel/Intel
    • Intel/Nvidia
    • Intel/AMD (or ati)
    • AMD/Nvidia
    • AMD/AMD (or ati)
    • Something else that isn't in the above

8 minutes ago, EricX2 said:

Seeing the discussion makes me ask one question, do people mostly buy their whole PC at once or piece by piece? I know they say wait until you can afford an entire pc so you end up with similar hardware but I have always carried over one or more piece of hardware when upgraded. I'm running AMD Ryzen 5 3600 upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1600 which is paired to a GTX 1070. The GTX 1070 was purchased when I was using my Intel i7 6700. And that was bought when I first had my GTX 780 which was an upgrade on my 3770 PC from a Radeon HD7870. I think it makes a big difference because each company has had generations of good/mediocre/horrible hardware.

i can't say for other (although note that many pc's mentioned here are laptops) but i build a pc, and when i upgrade i sell the pc and rebuilt from scratch.

Exception is when i have an old GPU in my rig (the 1070 now) and i upgrade to a better gpu (i hope the 3060 ti), however next upgrade i sell everything.

42 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

released this year?

How is it so bad then? other then pcie4 everything is equal or worse than the 1070

yes it was released this year. and in gaming benchmarks it's on average 15% faster than the 1070, more similar in performance to a 1070ti, which on release was double the price. i'm not sure what's the point you're trying to make. the 5600xt shouldn't be compared to the 1070, but to the 2060, as they are equal in performance and the 5600xt is usually a bit cheaper

19 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

no but what is the question

Why did i buy the i3?

Why did i buy it new?

just why would you buy an i3

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yes it was released this year. and in gaming benchmarks it's on average 15% faster than the 1070, more similar in performance to a 1070ti, which on release was double the price. i'm not sure what's the point you're trying to make. the 5600xt shouldn't be compared to the 1070, but to the 2060, as they are equal in performance and the 5600xt is usually a bit cheaper

i only use passmark to compare cards

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

just why would you buy an i3

because it's the cheapest cpu for the best performance? (at least for what i need)

it's got 9000 on passmark and more than 2650 in single thread.

I can't find anything as good as that at 100$

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

because it's the cheapest cpu for the best performance? (at least for what i need)

it's got 9000 on passmark and more than 2650 in single thread.

I can't find anything as good as that at 100$

Passmark means nothing... It's not as good as a 3300X or a 2600 both of which are cheaper.

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Passmark means nothing... It's not as good as a 3300X or a 2600 both of which are cheaper.

the 2600 has a single thread of 2261, so im not even going to compare it.

no one is selling the 3300x, and the cheapest 2600 is 40000Huf and i bought my i3-10100 at 32000Huf and the i3 is a better cpu overall for gaming.

10 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i only use passmark to compare cards

that's your fault. passmark isn't everything and isn't representative for every scenario. still, at least you don't use userbenchmark...

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

the 2600 has a single thread of 2261, so im not even going to compare it.

no one is selling the 3300x, and the cheapest 2600 is 40000Huf and i bought my i3-10100 at 32000Huf and the i3 is a better cpu overall for gaming.

unless you want to play anything modern... also depends what configuration was tested and passmark isn't a good barometer anyway

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

unless you want to play anything modern... also depends what configuration was tested and passmark isn't a good barometer anyway

The ONLY game that is truly modern that i run is Hitman 2/3.

But they have been shown (at least until the 5000 ryzens) that it runs better on Intel

5 hours ago, eeeee1 said:

how is the airflow for the gpu's? looks pretty cramped.

There is double spacing between the two cards. Basically it's designed for up to three double spaced GPU's. You probably can't see them, but there is actually a wifi/bluetooth card and a Creative Sound Blaster Z card placed in between the two GPU's.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Also what's wrong with a 1080Ti? I play mainly at 1080p and if I wanted noticeably better I'd have to get a 2080 Super which is nearly double the price.

Ok, I see now. What you can afford and works for you is OK. But what others have that they can afford and functions perfectly for their needs is just slow ass under performing junk because it doesn't fit your criteria. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

38 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Ok, I see now. What you can afford and works for you is OK. But what others have that they can afford and functions perfectly for their needs is just slow ass under performing junk because it doesn't fit your criteria. 

yes, he doesn't understand that what fits your needs is good.

he assumes everyone is rich.

i mean the reason i'm getting an rtx 3070 (which i was unable, so now its 3060 ti) is because i play in 4k, and i need the 4k because anything under that looks ugly on my tv.

1080ti at 1080p seems overkill.

My current is intel/nvidia but I'm going amd for cpus since they do beat intel at gaming with more cores

My Build

Case:Lian-li O11 Dynamic white | Processor:Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler:Kraken X73 | Motherboard: gigabyte B550 vision D | Graphics Card:Asus ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 3080 10GB OC | Ram: G.skill Trident Z Royal 32G(16x2) cl16-16-16-36 | Psu:Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Crucial P2 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | Case fans: 9 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB |

6 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

released this year?

How is it so bad then? other then pcie4 everything is equal or worse than the 1070

Are you purposely being silly or you genuinely do not understand that the 5600-XT is a low end 5000 series RX card?

Your 1070 was mid range 4 years ago.

Example, my 5700-XT is the top end of that line up and massively faster. 1080Ti level / 2070 Super.

Untitled.thumb.png.25da7da4f6d8da6536b11fbf47903a58.png

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

27 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Are you purposely being silly or you genuinely do not understand that the 5600-XT is a low end 5000 series RX card?

I know it's low end, so why isn't the power draw much less than a card from 4 years ago that was mid range?

Either it's low end, and has the same power draw than a 1070 but with better scores, or has the same scores but with less power draw.

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I know it's low end, so why isn't the power draw much less than a card from 4 years ago that was mid range?

Either it's low end, and has the same power draw than a 1070 but with better scores, or has the same scores but with less power draw.

Because Nvidia had a more efficient architecture VS AMD's NAVI1 Arch.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

6 minutes ago, Caroline said:

what's the 6th option for? cyrix + voodoo combo?

for example

or new apple m1

or any Commodore computer

9 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Because Nvidia had a more efficient architecture VS AMD's NAVI1 Arch.

6 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

released this year?

So AMD GPU=Shit by that logic

3 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i mean the reason i'm getting an rtx 3070 (which i was unable, so now its 3060 ti) is because i play in 4k, and i need the 4k because anything under that looks ugly on my tv.

1080ti at 1080p seems overkill.

so you wouldve been better off with a 2600 than a i3-10100k, single core means shit all at 4k, especially with the low frame rates you'll get with a 3060ti

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

No, it means the AMD chips is not as efficient.

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

look at the 5700xt, it costs the same as a 2060 almost everywhere, but competes with the 2070s and beats it with a good overclock.

you could also buy a 5700 and flash it to a 5700xt for even better price to perf.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

so you wouldve been better off with a 2600 than a i3-10100k, single core means shit all at 4k, especially with the low frame rates you'll get with a 3060ti

it's not a k, its the normal version (i dont even think it has a k version)

also it's not single core, it's four cores.

<Removed>

Also, i'm getting (with my 1070 + i3) around 24-40 fps with everything cranked to the maximum settings, with the 3060ti it will be a breeze to have 45+

Edited by Spotty

1 minute ago, Wheresmehammer said:

No, it means the AMD chips is not as efficient.

Less efficient= Shit

(of course when the prices between the 1070 and rx 5600 xt are equal or more expensive (the amd card more expensive) because if it was cheaper than i'd say nothing)