Forum bias differs everywhere

BrightCandle

As for the Linus problem, I see no problem in people taking Linus' word for a product but people need to realize that the reasons Linus likes the product might be the reason you do not like the product.

this, someone saying it's good is one thing but exactly why they think it's good is something else entierly, people have different preferences.

The 3 main ones that I notice are:

1. Soundcards suck and area scam when they aren't

Maybe I'm just part of the cult (apparently), but I agree with the general consensus that sound cards do suck because they are pointless in terms of an "upgrade" rather than a "solution". They are only good when your onboard is particularly bad (because most onboard is good enough for most headphones, there are rare exceptions, but they are exceptions and not the rule). So they fix problems. But buying them just because seems kind of an unnecessary waste of money to me.

2. Noctuas are the most amazing thing ever

3. A product is recommended as much as possible if Linus recntly did a video on it. Example being the Sennheiser HD8 DJs

1) To build on what Vitalius said, most in the audio subforum and parrots aside will not tell you that every sound card is flat out useless. If it fixes a problem, adds sound where there is none, or is added to an extremely dated motherboard, a cheap sound card has it's merits.

Whether or not it is useful or not depends on what the buyer wants. Do they need some arbitrary feature that a sound card provides? Do they need an interface card? Then it can be seen as useful. Do they want to improve their audio experience? (most of the times this is the case) If they do, the sound card will yield barely perceivable if any difference in sound quality up to the most expensive cards compared to a quality modern motherboard. 

A sound card to enhance listening experience when volume is not an issue is an extremely inefficient use, to blatant waste, and in some cases will reduce audio quality of standard onboard audio. 

As said earlier, a sound card is not an "upgrade," you don't need ears and testimonies for that, we have science and machine to replace human 'feels'. 

In fact, in situations where someone buys a Phoebus to plug in his Razer headset and 5.1 gaymin speakers, they may as well have put the 200$ on a receiver and have received so much more for their money. 

They become a scam when they're marketed in the borderline deceitful and predatory ways, in which many sound cards and audio products are, see; Pono (would recommend the video for lels), Asus marketing campaign, most gaming headsets, gold tipped everything but nobody understands why.

Lies by omission and abusing lack of consumer knowledge is incredibly powerful for marketing. 

2) Agree with Noctua, but they're beginning to fall of the throne back to fans instead of 20$ deities. 

3) Too true, omfg

Only bias I get tired of is everyone and their mother here riding Corsair peen. Yes they make nice things, but there's a sea of other products of similar or better quality. 

I get annoyed when people keep throwing out DT990's or DT770's when they're not what the OP is looking for

There's also some bias against coins due to certain people not having any idea what they're talking about and decide to call it bad. 

other than that I quite like the biases we have here, it makes this forum different from every other Tomshardware and OCN. 

Error: 410

-snip-

I love it when you decide to serve a helping of knowledge. 

3. Oh yes companies like Swiftech make great products that compete with Corsairs watercoolers. 

The bias against coins is quite bothersome but we have negative media and people who don't bother to research and find out what the concept behind bitcoin is to blame. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You are evangelising in a thread specifically identifying you as a cargo cult. Check yourself this is not the place to be doing that, you are derailing a thread, calling out members and challenging them to continue your derail. Just stop already.

I guess it was inevitable, these individuals/groups don't realise they are doing it and the bad behaviour that goes with it. I just wanted to expose it more clearly and I guess I have proved my point.

I just realised another one I nearly missed - mice. Linus obviously posted about laser v optical in a quicky that was horribly wrong but lots of fans of particular brands of mice.

You are evangelising in a thread specifically identifying you as a cargo cult. Check yourself this is not the place to be doing that, you are derailing a thread, calling out members and challenging them to continue your derail. Just stop already.

I guess it was inevitable, these individuals/groups don't realise they are doing it and the bad behaviour that goes with it. I just wanted to expose it more clearly and I guess I have proved my point.

I just realised another one I nearly missed - mice. Linus obviously posted about laser v optical in a quicky that was horribly wrong but lots of fans of particular brands of mice.

While I agree, to an extent, it's derailing, but at the same time, it's kind of not. 

It's about determining which ones are the "cargo cults" and which ones are true (i.e. the facts of which is best between TN and IPS or whatever). 

If you were talking about me in this statement:

See what I mean about the IPS crowd, willing to derail any thread to spread their gospel and lie about the facts! I find it interesting and I guess its no surprise we find a following around Linus' own bias and opinions. Self awareness that it exists is the first step to avoiding becoming to entrenched.

Which I don't think you were, but you could've been, I want to point out how much I flavored my post with "This is my opinion" indicators.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The audio community here can be a little condescending. Guilty as charged. Other than that, the community here is pretty well balanced. That's why I like it so much.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

*snip*

you do not seem to comprehend the difference beetwen sharing an opinion, having a discussion, just straight up facts, and you do not seem to be able to differenciate them from blind bias, you call people names and throw out big words that you use incorrectly without backing them up, how do you expect to have a discussion revolving around bias when you not seem to understand what it means and as a result you simply throw around insults ignore peoples opinions and act condescending, the only issue here lies with your interpretation and exaggeration.

you do not seem to comprehend the difference beetwen sharing an opinion, having a discussion, just straight up facts, and you do not seem to be able to differenciate them from blind bias nor from eachother, you call people names and throw out big words that you use incorrectly without backing them up, how do you expect to have a discussion revolving around bias when you not seem to understand what it means and as a result you simply throw around insults ignore peoples opinions and act condescending, the only issue here lies with your interpretation and exaggeration.

Just do what he should have done, report and move along. 

Whatever he's talking about, he derailed the thread more than the accused, lol. 

anyway, to the topic at hand:

Error: 410

One group of people that really grinds my gears are the guys who go around recommending MMX processors like they are just from god himself. You may get 12 extra fps with that 10mhz overclock but i'm still not inviting you to my quake II lan party!

you know who you are @Tr3vor with your 200mhz pentium... 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Ha! Well to not blow up the site I will not quote all the people I agree with but in a nutshell.

1. People re-regurgitating information they heard and never have experienced/tested it. Maybe say I heard/read this or that on it, but no they post as if they have done the feature set for decades, yet... they are only 10% right which might lead the OP to the wrong solution. One of those is RAID... there are more of course, just one I want to highlight.

2. Backups, no one ever even brings up backups. Can't wait till reality sets in but at this point in tech only a virus will be the take home message as drives are freaking indestructible compared to the past.

3. "Linus said" facts. As much as I like Linus as an Unboxer the new videos don't quite do it anymore. I call it the body language factor or lack of acting, I can see the products he is not happy/satisfied/impressed with but is still doing the video because well it pays the bills. Its the tell :o  anyone else seen it?

4. The lack of reading or looking around for your answer. As the saying goes "Simpsons did it ", yea at this point I think its all be covered that's why doing a google search is probably the best first step to posting yet another thread on some small issue. You'd think with everyone's super concern over bandwidth and Linus's cost of operation (your new thread adds yet more database entries eating up disk space and bandwidth cost) that they'd search google first (would say use the forum's search button but why beat a dead horse).

5. Lastly, if you have no point/info why are you posting a basically nothing post... are you that bored?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

4. The lack of reading or looking around for your answer. As the saying goes "Simpsons did it ", yea at this point I think its all be covered that's why doing a google search is probably the best first step to posting yet another thread on some small issue. You'd think with everyone's super concern over bandwidth and Linus's cost of operation (your new thread adds yet more database entries eating up disk space and bandwidth cost) that they'd search google first (would say use the forum's search button but why beat a dead horse).

5. Lastly, if you have no point/info why are you posting a basically nothing post... are you that bored?

Oh my god number 4 SO MUCH... you nailed it on the head.... No one is going to help you if your not willing to help yourself... If you didn't bother looking for the answer yourself in the first place what makes you think other people will do the work for you? Some of these people are lucky the forums are full of people who'll just hand you info even though you obviously didn't even bother to google the topic. Life isn't going to just "hand" you everything you need, whenever you need it... 

Number 5 this has been happening quite a bit... I'm not going to point any fingers but there are posts like this that just say, "GTA!" on game deal threads and completely pointless posts that don't add to the topic at all but seem to be there because its somewhat related to the topic(post farming? or just so bored, you feel the need to pipe in?)

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Bias? Well it could be that I don't mix up with the Audio crowd but I dont see it: I've held some pretty damn unpopular opinions (i.e. I openly called Valve assholes) and there's always a few people who did listen and even agreed. I just don't see bias. 

As for preaching whatever Linus says it's to be expected duh, but even then I recall a lot of people siding with Slick on last week's discussion on the LAN show, the mechanical keys razr thing that was dancing between serious but calm and awkward. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

This makes me laugh... Cuz in the whole scheme of things this non practical topic has led to bashing of the owner of this site, bashing people that share his views.  You want to talk about hating peoples vid card choice or cooler choice they have a thread for that specifically for that type of discussion.  Dont just take all your personal opinions and tell everyone else they're wrong.

I like LTT vids because they have the opportunity to put rigs together and try so many different things that we aren't going to be able to do for ourselves.  He tells good points and in a nice way bad points.  A few vids even straight out said wth is this.  Or comments like not really my thing but to some you may appreciate it.  

@ Everyone else saying mean things.  You are basically getting together to make an anti cargo cult.  Some people need these vids Don't confuse them.  It isn't like we get false information.  Also, since when was it proper manners to bash on someone in their own house.  Grow up and act you ages... If you are 12 then do you have an opinion?....  If ya think ya do then prove it.  

I might also ask.  If you don't like Linus's opinions why are you even here.  

Since when is it ok to insult someone in their own house.

You seem to be suggesting that all biased communities are negative, and indirectly as a result that anyone who is biased are contributing negatively to any communities that they are in.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Some biases are the result of logical reasoning, intuition and knowledge - for example, I shall never recommend a Razer headset to anyone as I've found their build and sound quality to be absolutely abysmal with their prices typically twice as high as they should be. That's not an irrational fanboy's comment, it's a rational conclusion reached by someone who has used and evaluated the products in question and happens to own a Razer peripheral himself.

That said, I do not like it when I see people just 'following the crowd'. I get the impression that a lot of people on the forum tend to adopt what they perceive as the popular opinion on something, perhaps as an attempt to fit-in.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

The 3 main ones that I notice are:

1. Soundcards suck and area scam when they aren't

2. Noctuas are the most amazing thing ever

3. A product is recommended as much as possible if Linus recntly did a video on it. Example being the Sennheiser HD8 DJs 

4. Need a case? Define R4!

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Go through that list and have a laugh at all you see in others and, most importantly, yourselves. Perfect logic is impossible. The human animal is a tribal animal and hive-minds in small communities like forums will always happen. It's nature and unavoidable. Just sit back and enjoy the circus. http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/rgass/fallacy3211.htm

4. Need a case? Define R4!

I do sort of over recommend the Arc Midi/Mini but it's because I've used them and love them. Corsair is meh build quality and CM/NZXT designs are plasticy

There is some, but I can't say its that bad. Its bit annoying when every post in Air cooling that doesn't in title state "budget" gets automaticly filled with D14. I mean that cooler is huge and definetly not good all-around solution, even for OC built. Still its the one that gets suggested in every thread. The 212 suggestion is good thing since there isn't much competition on that price range. Another subforum where I see this is Peripherals. Question is "I'm looking for mouse from <brand>, are they good?" and most of posts aren't about is that brand good or not. They are suggestions for Corsair or SS mice (sometimes Logitech too) and in particular mice that aren't even suitable or similar to what user is looking for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There is some, but I can't say its that bad. Its bit annoying when every post in Air cooling that doesn't in title state "budget" gets automaticly filled with D14. I mean that cooler is huge and definetly not good all-around solution, even for OC built.

Also a lot of people don't understand the appeal of AIO water coolers. Many in the enthusiast community don't realize that not everyone needs the performance of a custom loop, and yet they don't want to fill half their case with a massive heatsink (even if it's cheaper).