Forum bias differs everywhere

BrightCandle

If you frequent a lot of forums as I do you have probably noticed that each individual forum has its own cargo cults. Large groups of people with the same perspective which is incorrect (technically provably so) and yet it persists even when its constantly corrected. In many forums it results in a lot of personal attacks and general aggressiveness in the forums. Do you recognise which cargo cults are in the midsts of LTT that no where else has?

No, I've never really payed attention to it, as for people liking a certain brand usually people just let them be.

#GreenTeam

The 3 main ones that I notice are:

1. Soundcards suck and area scam when they aren't

2. Noctuas are the most amazing thing ever

3. A product is recommended as much as possible if Linus recntly did a video on it. Example being the Sennheiser HD8 DJs 

Personal attacks and aggressiveness? Meh just report it and let the mods deal with it. As for general bias, I mean aside for the obvious one (I mean steam ftw :P), I don't see much.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I've noticed this.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It think most forums at least PC related have it in for Vista/Consoles/Apple. None of those really faze me, I didn't see why people really hated Vista, I like consoles and PC cause I am gamer, you need to, as there are exclusives only on console, and Apple does its own thing and make heaps of money. pfft so what.

If anyone starts an SSD thread it is instantly filled with Samsung EVO recommendations. (not that it is a bad thing, maybe recommend some other drives as well.)

At least on this forum we all agree on a few things, we all like Linus, Slick and Star Citizen. ;)

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Besides the obvious 

Intel,Amd,Nvidia.

Windows , OSX.

iOS, Android.

Nope I don't pay much attention to it either.

I've used OSX, I use Windows 8.

I've used an iPhone, I own a Htc One.

I've used Nvidia, I own a 7970.

I've recommended AMD, I own a 2500k.

I make decisions based on the time of purchase. Opinions and experiences are useful but not when people can't outline clearly why they dislike a product.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Oh god yes. Everything Linus says is holy and is immediately true. Define R4 is the best thing since sliced bread. Razer sucks just because and Corsair products are all awesome. Samsung 840 evo is the only ssd that exists. DACs are the only acceptable high end PC audio solution. And so much more.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

well, it is trendy to follow whatever Linus says to that is kinda a thing, or whatever any well established youtube says really, obviously mostly Linus considering what this forum is, id say this is the most obvious in the audio subsection compared to the rest of the forum, alot of people don't speak from experience, they just say whatever they have been told by others(Linus Logan etc) or keep saying what they have seen other people say more than once.

Fanboyism to a certain brand can be pretty common, but in a lot of those cases, there's no clear-cut correct/incorrect.

If you're asking if there are mindsets that are blatantly and technically incorrect, I don't see a huge amount of it. People make mistakes, but more often or not it seems to be an innocent mistake through being misinformed.

The 3 main ones that I notice are:

1. Soundcards suck and area scam when they aren't

2. Noctuas are the most amazing thing ever

3. A product is recommended as much as possible if Linus recntly did a video on it. Example being the Sennheiser HD8 DJs 

I agree here. 

Maybe I'm just part of the cult (apparently), but I agree with the general consensus that sound cards do suck because they are pointless in terms of an "upgrade" rather than a "solution". They are only good when your onboard is particularly bad (because most onboard is good enough for most headphones, there are rare exceptions, but they are exceptions and not the rule). So they fix problems. But buying them just because seems kind of an unnecessary waste of money to me.

Noctuas are amazing in build quality-sound-performance ratio, but ... that color scheme. (I've had experience with Noctua build quality. Boiled one for hours. Still works.)

I've never seen that personally, but ok. To be honest, I think that could be simply explained with logic. Everyone saw the video (obviously), and few people have experience in the audiophile/good headphone field, so it makes logical sense that most people will recommend whatever Linus says is good and is still fresh in their mind.

Which, there's nothing really wrong with that. It's technically a lemming attitude (i.e. not thinking for yourself), but they are trusting someone who is more experienced than them in something they know little about. Which I think is fine (we do it all the time, every day, with experts in various fields). This combined with the fact that people want to contribute to helping someone means they will probably say whatever his latest video recommends because they lack any other option since they know little about the area. 

If you asked me what headphones to get, I'd probably look up a recent video of Linus' that involves headphones and go with those because I have no idea about headphones and can't be bothered to research it to help someone for more than a few minutes. 

Tis life. And I think this is how a lot of "cargo cults" develop.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Is it possible to have more than 2 people in an area without this happening?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

If you asked me what headphones to get, I'd probably look up a recent video of Linus' that involves headphones and go with those because I have no idea about headphones and can't be bothered to research it to help someone for more than a few minutes. 

Tis life. And I think this is how a lot of "cargo cults" develop.

I definitely agree with that. That is what reviewers are for in my opinion. Just like in any field (especially with science and other technical "out of reach" fields), there's only so much you can do before you have to rely on someone else. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

@Vitalius I'm still amazed that after you boiled the shit out of those Noctuas that they worked. Their quality is great but It's more so the noise/performance argument I mean. Also maybe it's just me but if I was in a situation like one you outlined I just wouldn't post because I wouldn't have the knowledge to back up the point.

I think you got most of the ones I have noticed in the last 2 weeks. One I am noticing is the IPS monitor group is pretty strong here as well.

I often wonder why certain groups form in certain places. In some forums its obviously moderators and their own bias but I haven't worked out why these particular groups formed here. Will become obvious intime, I just find it interesting.

I think you got most of the ones I have noticed in the last 2 weeks. One I am noticing is the IPS monitor group is pretty strong here as well.

I often wonder why certain groups form in certain places. In some forums its obviously moderators and their own bias but I haven't worked out why these particular groups formed here. Will become obvious intime, I just find it interesting.

I think everyone that isn't addicted to 120/144hz agrees that IPS is far superior. That's just one of those things that everyone agrees on. Half the people that have 120/144hz monitors 1. can't even tell the difference 2. can't make use of it  3. only like big numbers and don't understand

Linus, it's all about Linus, he is a strong believer in ips monitors, noctua products, corsair products, certain audio gear, r4 is a amazing case etc, i said it in my earlier comment, people are sheep, they just go with the general trend then more and more people jump onboard.

theres really not alot to discuss when it comes to ips monitors though, it depends abit on the person but for the most part about 80-90% of people will be better off with a solid ips panel, atleast ips over tn.

This, to an extent,

Linus, it's all about Linus, he is a strong believer in ips monitors, noctua products, corsair products, certain audio gear, r4 is a amazing case etc, i said it in my earlier comment, people are sheep, they just go with the general trend then more and more people jump onboard.

theres really not alot to discuss when it comes to ips monitors though, it depends abit on the person but for the most part about 80-90% of people will be better off with a solid ips panel, atleast ips over tn.

It's entirely because Linus likes IPS. And honestly, assuming what he says about them is true (better color quality), then I understand it. I see no purpose in having FPS as high as 120/144 unless you are competitive or realllllly hate screen tearing. I'd rather have better colors myself.

I don't remember what else he says is superior about them, but of the two, the only difference I remember that I care about is "TN has more FPS but worse colors, and IPS is opposite", and between the two, I prefer better colors. 

I mean, most of the time, more FPS is irrelevant unless you have an uber pwnage machine. Or you are fine with sacrificing in graphic fidelity (I'm not). 

So for me, IPS is preferred and considered "higher quality". I think I remember that there were less negatives to IPS, if you ignore price, than there is to TN, but I don't remember what they were (something about backlighting, and viewing distance). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well the soundcard issue is a bit funny imo.

1. Lot's of people just say -get a dac, which is not often the opinion of the people who know how audio works(not me) and this is taken as the general consensus.

2. Things are often oversimplified for ease of consumption and possible boredom of repeating same things.

3. Strong feelings get involved.

As for the Linus problem, I see no problem in people taking Linus' word for a product but people need to realize that the reasons Linus likes the product might be the reason you do not like the product.

Does he need to embed that into his vids? And he might have some bias to recommending them.

I'd me concerned if the biggest Dark Souls hater liked Dark Souls II for example.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I don't really pay to much attention "cargo cults" that may exist on the forums. A bunch of members always recommending products that Linus has reviewed doesn't really come as a surprise to me, I kind of expect it in fact. I mean they came to use this forum because of Linus's presence. 

-snip-

Being informative like always eh? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I don't really pay to much attention "cargo cults" that may exist on the forums. A bunch of members always recommending products that Linus has reviewed doesn't really come as a surprise to me, I kind of expect it in fact. I mean they came to use this forum because of Linus's presence. 

Being informative like always eh? 

I read "informative" as "writing too much" xD

But yeah. Trying anyway. 

† Christian Member †

I read "informative" as "writing too much" xD

But yeah. Trying anyway. 

Oh no it was in the positive sense! :D

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

See what I mean about the IPS crowd, willing to derail any thread to spread their gospel and lie about the facts! I find it interesting and I guess its no surprise we find a following around Linus' own bias and opinions. Self awareness that it exists is the first step to avoiding becoming to entrenched.

See what I mean about the IPS crowd, willing to derail any thread to spread their gospel and lie about the facts! I find it interesting and I guess its no surprise we find a following around Linus' own bias and opinions. Self awareness that it exists is the first step to avoiding becoming to entrenched.

sure, but could you please elaborate as to what lies you are referring to? 

-snip-

sure, but could you please elaborate as to what lies you are referring to? 

I'd very much like to hear your views on this too...