RTX 3070 Actually Enough For 1440p 144hz?

Bearded_Ed
1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

The 3070 is only good for 1440p 144Hz in WoW, OW, Apex and CS:GO? Wow, now that's a new one.

Funny how the 2080Ti was known to be a beast for high refresh rate 1440p, or even 4K gaming until not too long ago. What is it now - a 1080p card?

Exactly some weird takes in here. 

Also some weird techspot "slides" however. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, Bearded_Ed said:

Hiya,

So I am currently on a GTX 970 at 1080p 60hz. (Ryzen 1600 as well).

Looking to upgrade to 1440p 144hz early next year.

I'm intending to go for an RTX 3070 as the RX 6800/XT seems to be worse value.  But is it actually going to be enough?

Some of the games I currently play;

• WoW
  • Overwatch
  • Apex
  • Destiny 2
  • Tomb Raider series 
  • Cyber Punk when it comes out.

I really don't want to have to save/spend more on a RTX 3080 if I don't need to.  Considering I am already going to need monitor and PSU.

Cheers.

I don’t see why not, I use to run a 970 on a 1440p and destiny gave me 60+ on high so the 3070 should be far ahead there 

I have a GTX 1080 that runs 1440p well enough at high details. The 3070 is roughly twice as powerful based on that chart. I think it will be able to run 1440p just fine. 1440p ultrawide may be a different story, but it's also significantly more pixels.

If you want to game at 1440p 144 Hz ultra settings in AAA games with RTX on then a 3070 is not enough. In that case you’ll probably need a 3090.

However, if you dial down the settings to high and aim for 100 FPS then a 3070 is enough. 
With my 3070 I usually get around 100 FPS with high/ultra settings depending on the game of course. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just thought I'd update on what actually ended up happening.

When the RTX 3060 Ti was announced, I decided that I would try and get one of the "low end" models if I could. If I couldn't I'd just wait until spring next year when things may or may not calm down and get a 3080.

To my surprise I was able to get an RTX 3060 Ti FE on launch day from SCAN at actual retail pricing! 

Sadly I don't yet have a PSU that is substantial enough to use it! Nor anything more than a 1080p 60Hz screen!   Hoping to be able to get a RM750w soon ish.  But for now I have a a very lovely paperweight.