Apple Drops App Store Fees to 15% for All Developers Making Under $1 Million From App Store

Spindel

I don’t care how Apple treats the large multi-billion dollar developers, they are big boys they can figure it out among themselves.

But the small developers deserve to be charged lower fees and it’s good that Apple has done this. 

On 11/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, PocketNerd said:

Oh god, I can already image the number of AASP appointments I'd be getting cause X app is no longer available and I'm expected to fix it.

I have a coworker who is getting tutored on Windows machines, because he's never used anything but Apple. He claims to know how to use Linux.

He's allegedly getting a cybersecurity degree, and when asked what programming languages he has worked with, he answered Ubuntu, Debian, and CMD.exe

Apple users.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have a coworker who is getting tutored on Windows machines, because he's never used anything but Apple. He claims to know how to use Linux.

He's allegedly getting a cybersecurity degree, and when asked what programming languages he has worked with, he answered Ubuntu, Debian, and CMD.exe

Apple users.

You know you're not cut out for IT jobs when...

Seriously, we had someone try and train for a repair tech position not too long ago and it was 100% clear the person just was not into it. Didn't even finish training.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Apple users.

At least that one anyway.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

You know you're not cut out for IT jobs when...

Seriously, we had someone try and train for a repair tech position not too long ago and it was 100% clear the person just was not into it. Didn't even finish training.

We should swap stories some time. I've got loads of them. We do bulk repair work for public (and some private) school systems.

The shit I have seen.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

At least that one anyway.

I've yet to meet a tech literate Apple user in person. I know they exist, but they are few and far between. Apple's products cultivate tech illiteracy through "ease of use". They know how to use a device, but they don't know how or why it works, and if you were to move an icon 3 inches to the left they would probably think that app had been deleted from their device.

That and horribly deceptive business practices that should be severely punished.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

We should swap stories some time. I've got loads of them. We do bulk repair work for public (and some private) school systems.

The shit I have seen.

I've yet to meet a tech literate Apple user in person. I know they exist, but they are few and far between. Apple's products cultivate tech illiteracy through "ease of use". They know how to use a device, but they don't know how or why it works, and if you were to move an icon 3 inches to the left they would probably think that app had been deleted from their device.

That and horribly deceptive business practices that should be severely punished.

I’ve met a ton of em. I was sort of placed where they would pop up though. That’s apple’s business model.  Computers for people trying to do other stuff.   Sometimes other stuff is hard. Like the kind of really hard that takes all your focus.  Wasting some on learning to use this complicated tool needed to do that thing means literally less ability to do that other thing.  You want to be the best you can possibly BE at that other thing actually means finding the tool with the least falderal involved.  

Perhaps compare it to cars.  You want to drive a funny car on the freeway it could be set up so you could do it.  It’s not something a lot of people do though.  You would need to know a lot about automotive safety systems and why steel, aluminum, and titanium shafts are different. You’d need to know about valve time of and when you need to tear an engine apart and rebuild it and why.  There are people that love this stuff.  Me? I dunno shit about cars.  I know which end you put gas in and I know how to drive one.   Why? Because I need to go places.   I cannot drive a funnnycar on the freeway.  I can drive a Volkswagen though.  At least some of the simple ones.  I know a guy smart enough about cars that he can drive a funny car on the freeway.   I chose him as a mechanic because he had a lawn tractor outside his shop he had modded.  Because he liked to.  I pay him money to tell me what to do to my car to keep it from dying. I dunno crap about cars but ive seen modding.  Dude loved that stuff.  I’m sure if I asked him about different metals in engines he could probably tell me. 

take this guy you mentioned.  You asked him about languages and he replied with operating systems.  Betcha he’s not training to be a programmer.  He’s focused.  If he’s a Big Mac user it’s possible he knows how to use a bunch of BSD apps and navigate UN*X which MacOS is and has been for a long time.  Linux is a lot like BSD.  He might be able to deal with shellscripts.  Might not of course.  He might just be totally deluded. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.