It's like every UMPC design combined - GPD win 3 coming soon

williamcll

Appearance wise it looks like a mash between early Sony UMPCs and a Nintendo switch. Running the new 11th gen tiger lake CPUs as well as LPDDR4x-4266 RAM it actually outperforms most AMD Renoir APUs.

The upcoming GPD Win 3 is a gaming PC that’s about the size of a Nintendo Switch Lite, and which looks a bit like one two – there’s a 5.5 inch touchscreen display surrounded by game controllers. But if you slide the screen upward, you’ll reveal a hidden keyboard that can be used to enter text in games (or other apps). If the design looks familiar, that’s because it’s heavily inspired by the Sony Vaio UX line of handheld computers from almost 15 years ago.

The GPD Win 3 will go up for pre-order through an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign that’s tentatively scheduled for January, 2021, and it should ship to backers in April or May. Pricing hasn’t been announced yet. GPD has equipped the game controllers with dual vibration motors, analog L2 and R2 buttons, and dual analog sticks that can work as L3 and R3 buttons when you press down, among other things.

And while the company says the original plan had been to use an Intel Tiger Lake Y-series processor, but the company eventually decided to go for a higher-power U-series chip in order to support faster data transfer speeds for overall better performance. With the highest single-core CPU performance, faster memory, and integrated graphics that can best NVIDIA’s GeForce MX350 or MX450 discrete GPUs in some cases, the Win 3 will be GPD’s most powerful handheld gaming computer to date. If you’d rather have many of those features in a device with a larger screen and keyboard though, GPD does plan to offer a version of the GPD Win Max with a Tiger Lake processor eventually. You just may have to wait until later in 2021 or maybe early 2022 to get your hands on one.

Source: https://liliputing.com/2020/11/gpd-win-3-handheld-gaming-pc-has-a-sliding-display-qwerty-keyboard-and-intel-tiger-lake.html

Thoughts: For it's size it is pretty powerful of a beast, though I really think it's time to upgrade the monitor to 1080p, the Xe iGPU should handle most AAA games at mid/low settings at 60fps. I am a bit concerned about the price however as GPD has known to be a bit more expensive than its competitors.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Making ugly hardware in 2020 is unacceptable no matter how many features or how useful it is.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 minute ago, elfensky said:

Making ugly hardware in 2020 is unacceptable no matter how many features or how useful it is.

Ugly is a subjective thing. That thing above looks alright, it reminds me of the Vaio UX micro PC, and I'm kind of liking the resemblance.

I love what this company does. I Wonder if they are profitable though. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Is that a charging dock or part of the computer? If that's a dock does it have breakouts for regular USB, monitor, etc? It could make a nice desktop when docked and being able to grab n go with it is neat too.