Why does windows 10 takes unbearingly long to install.

Lord Szechenyi

i'm upgrading an old windows 7 laptop to windows 10, and it has been on the Win10 logo and the circling white dots for the past 15 Hours!.

why is it so slow?

Moved to Windows subforum.

It should not take that long to install Windows. If it has been installing for 15 hours then it sounds like your storage drive is dead or the installer is corrupt.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Moved to Windows subforum.

It should not take that long to install Windows. If it has been installing for 15 hours then it sounds like your storage drive is dead or the installer is corrupt.

this seems "impossible"

the installer is directly from Microsoft's website.

and HD Sentinel told me the HDD in my laptop is in "great condition"

16 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

this seems "impossible"

the installer is directly from Microsoft's website.

and HD Sentinel told me the HDD in my laptop is in "great condition"

ive had Windows reinstall and install that would bug out just restart pc or google the problem.

Most of the time restart would fix problem

2 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

ive had Windows reinstall and install that would bug out just restart pc or google the problem.

Most of the time restart would fix problem

i did that once when it was about 5 hours in.

when it restarted, it booted to Win7 and told me "there was an error 0x(some long number i didnt note)"

not doing that again

19 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i did that once when it was about 5 hours in.

when it restarted, it booted to Win7 and told me "there was an error 0x(some long number i didnt note)"

not doing that again

Would you rather wait 10-15 more hours? 

The installer is stuck on something. Time to give up. It shouldn't take more than 1h or a bit more than that. 

Google about your laptop model and "windows 10 install" or similar keywords to see if it's not some hardware related issue causing Windows 10 to fail installing. 

Do you install (upgrade) from hdd unpacked iso (recommended) or from usb? If from usb then it's probably crappy usb drive.

Create some folder on your c drive, unpack iso (or copy files from pendrive) and run setup.exe.

32 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Would you rather wait 10-15 more hours? 

The installer is stuck on something. Time to give up. It shouldn't take more than 1h or a bit more than that. 

Google about your laptop model and "windows 10 install" or similar keywords to see if it's not some hardware related issue causing Windows 10 to fail installing. 

i just checked, apparently no issues there.

however according to one quora article if my internet is slow it can take up to a full day.

i mean how fast does my internet to be for 1 hour

Just now, homeap5 said:

Do you install (upgrade) from hdd unpacked iso (recommended) or from usb? If from usb then it's probably crappy usb drive.

huh

well i downloaded the media creation tool and instead of "Creating" an iso file it directly upgrades win7 to win10.

so i guess its running from an HDD

So at this point you must consider new installation instead of upgrade. But use different drive for that - just in case. Disconnect your current win7 drive, connect new drive and made clean install from usb. This way you'll be safe in case something is wrong with your hardware (compatibility problem or anything else).

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

So at this point you must consider new installation instead of upgrade. But use different drive for that - just in case. Disconnect your current win7 drive, connect new drive and made clean install from usb. This way you'll be safe in case something is wrong with your hardware (compatibility problem or anything else).

i dont have another laptop drive.

no way i'm buying one, especially if it's working

USB is an issue, as for some reason when i'm making an ISO file windows takes about 8 hours then tells me "sorry error duh lmao"

(Note, i was trying to make the iso file on my main pc which is win10 already)

Something's obviously wrong then. Unless you have a really crappy internet connection, 6-8 GB should be downloaded in less than an hour. 

Make sure you have enough free space on the C : drive and in the download location, so that the ISO can be downloaded completely. 

Does the old laptop have an optical drive? if so, burn a DVD with Windows 10. 

if not, go buy a 8-16 GB usb stick and download the Windows ISO from Microsoft's website. 

Maybe run chkdsk  on that laptop drive to make sure there's no errors that could make the drive to show incorrect free space.

chkdsk driveletter: /f

/f means fix the partition, if problems are detected

57 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Something's obviously wrong then. Unless you have a really crappy internet connection, 6-8 GB should be downloaded in less than an hour. 

Make sure you have enough free space on the C : drive and in the download location, so that the ISO can be downloaded completely. 

Does the old laptop have an optical drive? if so, burn a DVD with Windows 10. 

if not, go buy a 8-16 GB usb stick and download the Windows ISO from Microsoft's website. 

Maybe run chkdsk  on that laptop drive to make sure there's no errors that could make the drive to show incorrect free space.

chkdsk driveletter: /f

/f means fix the partition, if problems are detected

6-8Gb takes about 20 hours for me to download

only one drive, and it's C : and about 120GB free space

Laptop has optical drive, but not a writer

As stated above USB is not an option

I'l wait a bit more, and then i'll try chkdsk

ISO must be downloaded anyway, no matter if you're using Media Creation Tool or if you download ISO from Microsoft - it's the same. In your case better will be downloading ISO, unpacking it into hard drive and then install.

Install plugin for your browser that change user agent, change it to Android and then you'll be able to download Windows 10 as iso file from Microsoft website. You don't need any usb device for that.

If it's too difficult for you - use Media Creation Tool to download ISO - it's also possible without having pendrive.

You can unpack ISO using 7zip. It's free

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

ISO must be downloaded anyway, no matter if you're using Media Creation Tool or if you download ISO from Microsoft - it's the same. In your case better will be downloading ISO, unpacking it into hard drive and then install.

Install plugin for your browser that change user agent, change it to Android and then you'll be able to download Windows 10 as iso file from Microsoft website. You don't need any usb device for that.

If it's too difficult for you - use Media Creation Tool to download ISO - it's also possible without having pendrive.

You can unpack ISO using 7zip. It's free

i can't download anything using a browser, it starts downloading, then drops at 0kbits and after a few minutes says network error and i have to restart downloading the file.

i was very lucky with mediacreationtool as it didn't drop to 0kbits for the entire download (15 minute download)

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i can't download anything using a browser, it starts downloading, then drops at 0kbits and after a few minutes says network error and i have to restart downloading the file.

i was very lucky with mediacreationtool as it didn't drop to 0kbits for the entire download (15 minute download)

So, now you have iso file. Unpack to some folder (like c:\win10\) and then install from hdd.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

So, now you have iso file. Unpack to some folder (like c:\win10\) and then install from hdd.

how do i unpack a .exe?

Provided I have the install media most of the time windows 10 these days takes like 15 minutes for me.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Unpack iso file that you downloaded using Media Creation Tool.

oh so thats what i was supposed to do.

ok wait a minute ima do that

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Unpack iso file that you downloaded using Media Creation Tool.

i did that, it's been doing it for the pas 3 hours, gonna leave it overnight

(i mean the setup.exe from the iso file)