ASUS fighting an RMA over inconsequential scratch

Zberg
On 10/28/2020 at 6:16 AM, Zberg said:

Also to explain the scratches from my standpoint, the case was basically sitting in such a position that reaching the back of it was kind of annoying, sometimes had to fiddle with it a bit to get the cords plugged in without being able to directly visualize, so had to move the cord all around the input to get it in the right spot, creating cosmetic scratches on the IO shield.

So then sue them? 

Or go on their twitter or something. 

I'd sue them, unless warranties are not legally binding in your country. 

Then try the twitter thing lol 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

About time. I’d sell it when you get it back and buy from a different company. You shouldn’t have to go thru that

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Oh. I'm glad it's resolved. 

I have to say I'm in Europe and I had to deal with Asus cs once, this was apparently directly with Asus, no call center or something. They have been they most cluess and useless bunch ever lol. 

"yes I'm an Asus" expert" of Asus Germany for routers and I have no idea what a Vlan is"... 

Just gave the router back to Amazon then which was strangely no issue. (I gave it back no warranty anything I just said I don't want it anymore got full price refunded) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So then sue them? 

Or go on their twitter or something. 

I'd sue them, unless warranties are not legally binding in your country. 

Then try the twitter thing lol 🤷🏼

In most cases the cost of a lawsuit is more than the cost of the product. And the companies know that.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh. I'm glad it's resolved. 

I have to say I'm in Europe and I had to deal with Asus cs once, this was apparently directly with Asus, no call center or something. They have been they most cluess and useless bunch ever lol. 

"yes I'm an Asus" expert" of Asus Germany for routers and I have no idea what a Vlan is"... 

Just gave the router back to Amazon then which was strangely no issue. (I gave it back no warranty anything I just said I don't want it anymore got full price refunded) 

Amazon has a great return policy. Right now if you buy something you have until Jan 31 to return it.

5 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

In most cases the cost of a lawsuit is more than the cost of the product. And the companies know that.

Yes, but they would lose that case. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Great news, they are fixing it.

Asus has been spot on for me, bought multiple motherboards,gfx cards etc but saying that I have not had to RMA anything to them.

Did they send you a photo of the scratch. just curious on how they can say it invalidates the warrenty

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, Zberg said:

Excellent news friends:

After a couple days of relentless emailing and calls, success!  

image.png.90d14d5caa01b68032ead980d48efbf1.png

2 different other "service teams" looked at it and kept giving the same answer.  Did exactly this and kept asking it be elevated to a manager/supervisor and reminded them I know they are in the wrong and would continue to email and call daily (which I have been doing, to their chagrin).   After 3 days of calling they officially "elevated" my case.

They apologized and said they would cover the repair fee (1188$!) they wanted to make repairs.  

Excellent news! (and you can say that in the voice of your avatar).

If you're polite and persistent and in the right, then there's a good chance you can get what you want/need as long as the company's not garbage.

I really wish the rest of the world had better consumer protection laws.  Like Australia...but minus the insane taxes and nanny oversight of video game and movie ratings.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, Zberg said:

The most frustrating thing is that they instantly wrote it off as "Customer induced damage" and referenced the IO shield scratch, and clearly never investigated in any way shape or form why the card actually stopped functioning properly, just got enough "evidence" to say I voided the warranty and called it a day. 

That is in fact illegal for them to do in the USA. Unless they can prove that those scratches have somehow affected the functionality of the GPU, they can not deny an RMA like that.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:25 AM, Rym said:

Nah asrock sucks too.

No they don't. I RMAd a motherboard that I accidentally overvolted by a LONG ways, and burned out the VRM. They sent me a new motherboard without complaint. The key is to NOT LIE ABOUT IT, and be nice. The only cost for me was shipping the dead board to them, which was not excessive at all.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

That is in fact illegal for them to do in the USA. Unless they can prove that those scratches have somehow affected the functionality of the GPU, they can not deny an RMA like that.

Totally agreed.  I harped on this over and over that it was complete BS and that any law suit would be indefensible as literally anyone that knows a thing or 2 about PC hardware could tell you that the scratch is inconsequential.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

3 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

Asus has been spot on for me, bought multiple motherboards,gfx cards etc but saying that I have not had to RMA anything to them.

Ya I was really hoping that they would do the right thing, as I have enjoyed their products in the past and admittedly this GPU performed fantastic before (and the quietest GPU I have had that is air cooled).  So I was kind of hoping they would do the right thing as otherwise I would be completely done with the brand.

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Ya I was really hoping that they would do the right thing, as I have enjoyed their products in the past and admittedly this GPU performed fantastic before (and the quietest GPU I have had that is air cooled).  So I was kind of hoping they would do the right thing as otherwise I would be completely done with the brand.

I suggest switching over ASRock for as much as possible. Similar hardware quality and design, (they used to be the budget arm of ASUS) but way better customer support.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I know this is old news, but an update:

Asus did end up honoring warranty (after fighting it...alot).  But they sent a brand new (with peel intact!) strix 2080ti and its working perfectly.  Happy they honored it, after an irritating week long fight over it

1 hour ago, Zberg said:

Asus did end up honoring warranty (after fighting it...alot).  But they sent a brand new (with peel intact!) strix 2080ti and its working perfectly.  Happy they honored it, after an irritating week long fight over it

Glad it worked out for you. Its an unfortunate reality that sometimes you have to make a lot of noise to get proper customer service.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 9:40 PM, Zberg said:

Thanks for posting about this, I'm going through the same exact issue with scratches on the IO bracket of my ROG Strix 5700 XT.

Just got an RMA invoice for $435 ($473.61 after taxes), which is pretty much exactly what I paid for the card. The problem is the HDMI port doesn't work, but the actual port itself isn't physically damaged, no bent pins or anything. I just got into it with a Supervisor over their online customer service system who argued that "a scratch is considered damage." Meanwhile, I've Ctrl-F'd their warranty pages and the word scratch isn't even in their documents. I screen cap'd our whole conversation.

They told me to contact their CEO's office, which I'm sure will get me far. Maybe I'll try your "call them everyday and hound them" method and see where that goes. I feel like asking them if they drug test their employees, since they're obviously on crack if they think I'm paying $473 for a 5700 XT and not something better at this point.

20 minutes ago, The Pubening said:

Thanks for posting about this, I'm going through the same exact issue with scratches on the IO bracket of my ROG Strix 5700 XT.

Just got an RMA invoice for $435 ($473.61 after taxes), which is pretty much exactly what I paid for the card. The problem is the HDMI port doesn't work, but the actual port itself isn't physically damaged, no bent pins or anything. I just got into it with a Supervisor over their online customer service system who argued that "a scratch is considered damage." Meanwhile, I've Ctrl-F'd their warranty pages and the word scratch isn't even in their documents. I screen cap'd our whole conversation.

They told me to contact their CEO's office, which I'm sure will get me far. Maybe I'll try your "call them everyday and hound them" method and see where that goes. I feel like asking them if they drug test their employees, since they're obviously on crack if they think I'm paying $473 for a 5700 XT and not something better at this point.

Welcome to the forums!!! 

I'd really suggest that you create a new thread over this. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Stories like this are why I haven't bought anything from Asus in like 8 years. I used to love their shit 15-20 years ago.

1 hour ago, The Pubening said:

So they basically told me the exact same thing from the start; its customer dmg, it voids warranty, then charged me full price to replace.

I literally called them daily, and emailed them daily.  I was not rude, but firm.  I kept reiterating that they were in the wrong, that I know they are wrong, and I will continue to call daily until it gets escalated to a higher level and resolved.

Took a few days of doing this (almost 1 whole week if I remember correct).  They did replace it though with a brand new one.

Frustrating

1 hour ago, Zberg said:

So they basically told me the exact same thing from the start; its customer dmg, it voids warranty, then charged me full price to replace.

I literally called them daily, and emailed them daily.  I was not rude, but firm.  I kept reiterating that they were in the wrong, that I know they are wrong, and I will continue to call daily until it gets escalated to a higher level and resolved.

Took a few days of doing this (almost 1 whole week if I remember correct).  They did replace it though with a brand new one.

Frustrating

Curious do you have a picture of the scratch over the HDMI / DP ports?

If it's on the damn metal I/O shield, that's totally BS.

(IMO it's called a "shield" for a reason 👀)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

image.thumb.png.716bc0dc6aff3b87843c5c6427bb30ce.png

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

see above; it might not look super pretty, but was just in an awkward spot and was hard to reach the cables.  I was usually plugging in the cable mostly blind so thats how it happened.

But also clearly not a reason for the GPU to brick either :)