4 pin connector on motherboard says "pump", can you use it for a fan?

Morrie Sells Wigs
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

you can but some motherboard may not offer control for the header and it may run at full speed

while some manufacturer config it as a normal fan header

tl:dr: yea u can

So, as the title says, is it okay?

My mother has been working from home for a while and her desktop is an older computer, and she has been worried that it is overheating. 

I had a look and it did feel hot, and i took the side panel off to see if there was room to put another fan.

Anyway, i don't need help regarding all that, it's specifically the issue surrounding this port with the word "Pump" next to it on the motherboard. 

It is the same default 4 pin connection that is on a GPU or CPU fan/cooler.

I suggested to her she might be able to buy a cheap(ish) fan from Amazon or something - and, if it is okay to plug it into this port marked pump, it will offer a little bit of cooling. 

Anyway, assuming her PSU is able to cope with the extra consumption from a small cooling fan (it would be a negligible amount of extra power?) is it ok to plug a fan into this port?

Thanks, in advance, guys.

you can but some motherboard may not offer control for the header and it may run at full speed

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

Yes, i suspected it wouldn't be controllable but would just run at full tilt.

So, you think It'll be fine?

2 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Anyway, i don't need help regarding all that, it's specifically the issue surrounding this port with the word "Pump" next to it on the motherboard. 

It is the same default 4 pin connection that is on a GPU or CPU fan/cooler.

Check the motherboard manual, if the PUMP header is controllable.

In most cases you can set it to either full speed or temperature controlled, the latter being proffered. 

Otherwise, the physical connector is the same as any of the other CPU/SYS fan headers.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Check the motherboard manual, if the PUMP header is controllable.

In most cases you can set it to either full speed or temperature controlled, the latter being proffered. 

Otherwise, the physical connector is the same as any of the other CPU/SYS fan headers.

It will probably just run at full speed; it's more just whether it would be okay to plug it in this port as it doesn't say "fan".

Do you think pump is for the addition of a water pump?

Seems the logical inference, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

It will probably just run at full speed; it's more just whether it would be okay to plug it in this port as it doesn't say "fan".

Do you think pump is for the addition of a water pump?

Seems the logical inference, doesn't it?

What motherboard her computer have?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Yes, i suspected it wouldn't be controllable but would just run at full tilt.

So, you think It'll be fine?

yeap, the pin layout is the same AFAIK

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

What motherboard her computer have?

I don't know off the top of my head, mate.

It's not a custom gaming one or anything. 

Probably just the standard mass produced Dell mobo that went into their desktops 8 or 9 years ago.

At least, i think it's Dell...lol.

I just slid the panel off to peer inside and saw this port with the word pump next to it - and realised it was the same 4 pin connection that is common on g/cpu.

That's why i figured it would allow a fan to be plugged in, but i wasn't sure if it was advisable. 

Seems the general consensus is it'll be fine.

Probably just the standard mass produced Dell mobo that went into their desktops 8 or 9 years ago.

Not sure how DELL handles it, but just as an example, this is an ASUS board which has an "AIO_PUMP" header, which can be configured for these four options in the BIOS:

image.png.d73871135ba254057fc8eebc6716600a.png

So in that way, it could be used for pumps, but also fans.

Before installing the fan, I would check the BIOS to see if there are such options.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Not sure how DELL handles it, but just as an example, this is an ASUS board which has an "AIO_PUMP" header, which can be configured for these four options in the BIOS:

image.png.d73871135ba254057fc8eebc6716600a.png

So in that way, it could be used for pumps, but also fans.

Before installing the fan, I would check the BIOS to see if there are such options.

Ah, thanks for that extra information. 

Appreciate it.

* Thread moved to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section *

Please be mindful where you create topics.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

* Thread moved to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section *

Please be mindful where you create topics.

This about a fan, not a cpu, or motherboard, or memory. 

The title and this here is why I moved it in this section ;

3 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

it's specifically the issue surrounding this port with the word "Pump" next to it on the motherboard

If you think it's better to move it to the air cooling section, let me know.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

The title and this here is why I moved it in this section ;

If you think it's better to move it to the air cooling section, let me know.

Thanks, it might be better in the cooling section now you mention it.

👍

Thanks, it might be better in the cooling section now you mention it.

👍

done ;)

• 2 years later...

Is there any reason why a 4-pin PUMP_FAN header would work fine with an AIO pump yet displays 0 RPM and gives a "fan not detected" boot error when connected to a normal 4-pin fan?

4 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Is there any reason why a 4-pin PUMP_FAN header would work fine with an AIO pump yet displays 0 RPM and gives a "fan not detected" boot error when connected to a normal 4-pin fan?

It's not configured to detect a fan. You have to look in BIOS. From above:

image.png.a1e21501dcac3e8093d9fef8eb6ffd05.png

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

its configd to detect "speed wire", fans have those. a MB cannot know whats connected 

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

image.png.a1e21501dcac3e8093d9fef8eb6ffd05.png

This BIOS is very limited (likely because it is an HP specific build) and all I can do under the THERMAL section is "view" the RPMs for 2 fans (even though there are 3 fan headers on this motherboard!)  CPU_FAN is a 4 pin header, PUMP_FAN is a 4 pin header, and SYS_FAN is a 3 pin header (this SYS_FAN header was never used from the factory.)  Also SYS_FAN is unmonitored in the BIOS, apparently.

Your image above doesn't relate to my BIOS.  I have NO OPTIONS related to the fans, not even the capability to ignore in BIOS.  I have worked with other BIOS in older systems that I no longer have where I could easily ignore the fans in BIOS, so I understand how that would normally work if one was provided the ability to do so in their bios.

post-689672-0-62591600-1683241229[1].jpg

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

its configd to detect "speed wire", fans have those. a MB cannot know whats connected 

Yes, the fans in this case are both 4 wire fans so they should have power, ground, PWM, and RPM.

I noticed that the Asetek AIO cooler is only a 3 wire unit though, and the outer 2 most pins in its plug are shorted/jumpered together.  That means that PWM and Ground are shorted.  What effect would this do to "fool" the BIOS?  I'm wondering if I should attempt the same with my fan, but I haven't yet because I don't want to damage any components by doing so!

PS - see the attached image.  All of these images I took of the Asetek AIO cooler that I removed recently.

post-689672-0-67318600-1683241285[1].jpg

post-689672-0-36059700-1683241290[1].jpg

post-689672-0-21503900-1683241295[1].jpg

post-689672-0-23770400-1683241299[1].jpg

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since they shorted the PWM to ground, that effectively makes that function like a DC (2-pin)...?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

29 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since they shorted the PWM to ground, that effectively makes that function like a DC (2-pin)...?

I apologize to clutter this old thread but I am desperate.  If you want to migrate to my own thread, please feel free!  

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

dont know what that wil make it do

edit: i see it now. it looked like the AIO had 2 wires going to it. but there is 3. u right. it wil make it work like a 3pin device 

9 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Yes, the fans in this case are both 4 wire fans so they should have power, ground, PWM, and RPM.

I noticed that the Asetek AIO cooler is only a 3 wire unit though, and the outer 2 most pins in its plug are shorted/jumpered together.  That means that PWM and Ground are shorted.  What effect would this do to "fool" the BIOS?  I'm wondering if I should attempt the same with my fan, but I haven't yet because I don't want to damage any components by doing so!

PS - see the attached image.  All of these images I took of the Asetek AIO cooler that I removed recently.

i have seen HP MB needing a 4th wire to not get that CPU fan error msg.

1: connect the AIO to CPUfan header and tell us if its cooling anything

or

2: connect another 4pin fan to CPU fan header and the pump to a random fan header

u can test if the pump work at all with a molex to fan header (giving it 12v)

as @RevGAM said, this jump wire from PWM to ground is to trick it, but this makes ur unit a DC-3pin device