4 pin connector on motherboard says "pump", can you use it for a fan?

Morrie Sells Wigs
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

you can but some motherboard may not offer control for the header and it may run at full speed

while some manufacturer config it as a normal fan header

tl:dr: yea u can

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

i have seen HP MB needing a 4th wire to not get that CPU fan error msg.

1: connect the AIO to CPUfan header and tell us if its cooling anything

or

2: connect another 4pin fan to CPU fan header and the pump to a random fan header

u can test if the pump work at all with a molex to fan header (giving it 12v)

as @RevGAM said, this jump wire from PWM to ground is to trick it, but this makes ur unit a DC-3pin device 

Yes, both my new air-to-air CPU heatsink fan AND the case fan are already 4-wire motors.  Both fans work flawlessly as connected.  But regardless I still receive the 512 System Fan Not Detected error at boot, and the BIOS registers 0 RPM for system fan which must be incorrectly labeled in the BIOS as I imagine this is referring to the PUMP_FAN header.

The 3 pin SYS_FAN header on my motherboard has never been used in ~9 years since I purchased this computer, and I have never received this error until recently when removing the Asetek AIO cooler and replacing it with an air-to-air heatsink.

21 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

Yes, both my new air-to-air CPU heatsink fan AND the case fan are already 4-wire motors.  Both fans work flawlessly as connected.  But regardless I still receive the 512 System Fan Not Detected error at boot, and the BIOS registers 0 RPM for system fan which must be incorrectly labeled in the BIOS as I imagine this is referring to the PUMP_FAN header.

The 3 pin SYS_FAN header on my motherboard has never been used in ~9 years since I purchased this computer, and I have never received this error until recently when removing the Asetek AIO cooler and replacing it with an air-to-air heatsink.

12v fan to molexheader -> boot system -> look at temps 

image.png.63bc38b4ccaf70d9d23444204c2a6707.png

Just now, NorKris said:

12v to fan header -> boost system -> look at temps 

What do you want me to do??

4 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

What do you want me to do??

get a wire like in the pic, or similar. connect it to the pump, look at temps in windows 

20 minutes ago, NorKris said:

get a wire like in the pic, or similar. connect it to the pump, look at temps in windows 

The Asetek AIO pump is no longer in my system, however.  After approximately 8-1/2 years it began to produce a very loud crackling noise that came and went about every 30-60 seconds or so.

4 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, removing the AIO has resulted in BIOS complaining about there being no system fan. Are you still able to use the computer despite that warning? With my (newer) PC, I can bypass it if I don't have a CPU fan plugged in. Have you considered plugging in a fan to the sys_fan header?

I wonder if the reason the pins were shorted on that connector to make the mobo think a system fan was installed? Or, perhaps, that feature auto-disables if an AIO is installed on the premise that a system fan isn't needed...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, removing the AIO has resulted in BIOS complaining about there being no system fan. Are you still able to use the computer despite that warning? With my (newer) PC, I can bypass it if I don't have a CPU fan plugged in. Have you considered plugging in a fan to the sys_fan header?

I wonder if the reason the pins were shorted on that connector to make the mobo think a system fan was installed? Or, perhaps, that feature auto-disables if an AIO is installed on the premise that a system fan isn't needed...

The SYS_FAN header on the motherboard is a 3 pin, not 4 pin header, and in the ~8-1/2 years I have been using this system, nothing has ever been connected to that header.

Previously, the Asetek AIO cooler was connected to the 4 pin PUMP_FAN header.  This Asetek cooler uses a 4 pin plug, but only uses 3 wires between the pump and plug.  There is a small jumper wire connecting pins 1 and 4 only on the pump's plug only.

Previously, the case fan pulling air through the Asetek radiator was connected to the CPU_FAN header.

Currently, I have my CPU heatsink fan connected to the CPU_FAN header, which displays an appropriate RPM in the bios.  I have a case fan connected to the PUMP_FAN header, which displays 0 RPM in the bios, although the case fan runs perfectly fine.  I assume that the BIOS is incorrectly labeling the PUMP_FAN header as "system fan" in the BIOS as per the error regarding a system fan.

I do not believe the system fan error in the BIOS relates to the 3 pin SYS_FAN header because nothing has ever been connected to that header.

Also, there is absolutely no way possible in this bios to disable or ignore any fan warning!

Yes, I can use the computer, but not without pressing F1 to bypass the warning every single time I boot up.  I need to disable this warning somehow or fool the motherboard somehow.

I spoke with MSI and they are unable to provide me with any documentation regarding this motherboard as they say it is a proprietary HP motherboard, but they say that the PUMP_FAN header should be wired exactly the same as any other fan header but perhaps it may have a higher amperage rating than a traditional fan header.

No explanation is being given as to why the PUMP_FAN header is not displaying a proper RPM in the BIOS when connected to a standard fan rather than an AIO cooler pump.

11 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

The SYS_FAN header on the motherboard is a 3 pin, not 4 pin header, and in the ~8-1/2 years I have been using this system, nothing has ever been connected to that header.

Previously, the Asetek AIO cooler was connected to the 4 pin PUMP_FAN header.  This Asetek cooler uses a 4 pin plug, but only uses 3 wires between the pump and plug.  There is a small jumper wire connecting pins 1 and 4 only on the pump's plug only.

Previously, the case fan pulling air through the Asetek radiator was connected to the CPU_FAN header.

Currently, I have my CPU heatsink fan connected to the CPU_FAN header, which displays an appropriate RPM in the bios.  I have a case fan connected to the PUMP_FAN header, which displays 0 RPM in the bios, although the case fan runs perfectly fine.  I assume that the BIOS is incorrectly labeling the PUMP_FAN header as "system fan" in the BIOS as per the error regarding a system fan.

I do not believe the system fan error in the BIOS relates to the 3 pin SYS_FAN header because nothing has ever been connected to that header.

Also, there is absolutely no way possible in this bios to disable or ignore any fan warning!

Yes, I can use the computer, but not without pressing F1 to bypass the warning every single time I boot up.  I need to disable this warning somehow or fool the motherboard somehow.

I spoke with MSI and they are unable to provide me with any documentation regarding this motherboard as they say it is a proprietary HP motherboard, but they say that the PUMP_FAN header should be wired exactly the same as any other fan header but perhaps it may have a higher amperage rating than a traditional fan header.

No explanation is being given as to why the PUMP_FAN header is not displaying a proper RPM in the BIOS when connected to a standard fan rather than an AIO cooler pump.

In that case, I suggest you try jumping the case can connected to the pump fan header like the pumps fan was. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Just now, RevGAM said:

In that case, I suggest you try jumping the case can connected to the pump fan header like the pumps fan was. 

I can try that.  However I was leery about doing so as I did not want to destroy anything motherboard related!

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Jumping PWM to Ground is something that I have searched extensively for and have not found one other instance where it was necessary to do so, so...

1 minute ago, BlaineBug said:

I can try that.  However I was leery about doing so as I did not want to destroy anything motherboard related!

Just now, BlaineBug said:

Jumping PWM to Ground is something that I have searched extensively for and have not found one other instance where it was necessary to do so, so...

Well, that was how it was originally configured so, unless you can get HP to answer your questions, it seems that duplicating the original trick should work.  I highly doubt it'll do any damage since it ran for all those years like that. 

37 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Well, that was how it was originally configured so, unless you can get HP to answer your questions, it seems that duplicating the original trick should work.  I highly doubt it'll do any damage since it ran for all those years like that. 

HP won't answer any questions because as it is out of warranty they won't even talk to you directly, you have to use their community help forums.

I purchased a brand new 92mm PWM case fan to try as well.  What I discover is that the PUMP_FAN header on the motherboard seems to supply full voltage to whatever fan you connect to it regardless if that's a case fan or the CPU heatsink fan, which makes sense if it's powering an AIO cooler pump, it runs the pump at full speed.

However what I am still confused about and what no one has been able to provide me an answer with is why shorting pins 1 and 4 together on the Asetek AIO cooler pump wire harness seems to "satisfy" the motherboard.

I still have the Asetek AIO cooler pump in my possession, and plugging it into the PUMP_FAN header once again satisfies the motherboard and it immediately ceases to give me the fan error on boot.  It is only fans that produce this error when connected this PUMP_FAN header.