Trust in the internet 'now missing'

Torand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26512369

"I clearly say yes to big data, yes to greater security and convenience, but no to paternalism and Big Brother. At this point, the entire industry is called upon. We need a voluntary commitment by the automobile industry," said Martin Winterkorn.

That quote pretty much sums up the article.

I'm happy that someone who is in an influential position is proactively pushing solutions to data privacy. My main concern is that they will go too far, as is with this kind of thing. So as long as they are restrained but firm in applying beneficial changes for the consumer without becoming Internet world police, I think it will be a hugely beneficial possible move forward.

On my phone at the moment, so I may follow this topic up later.

I think trust in the internet has been gone for quite some time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The internet.. trust.. I don't trust anything big and commercial.

The internet has never had trust. Nor should it be expected to be.

All I am going to say is its a good time for people to start thinking about going down the IT job route of Network security like me  ^_^

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The second you start trusting the internet you'll have lost all your money and your computer will be full of malware and spyware... since you'd be "a winner" And nigerian princes all give you money...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I know the internet pretty well, the very best and very worst of humanity is captured and immortalized here, I've seen pictures of the most beautiful people, places and situations, heard, read and watched some truly astounding things happen on and indeed off this planet, and yet I've also seen, heard and read the festering, putrid and vile bilge waters of mankind along with his actions and thoughts so evil that they defy belief.

Take it or leave it, trust or no, it's my home, I think it depends on what you're trusting it to be, I just trust the internet to be the internet, all encompassing and ever growing.

The golden rule of the internet put simply, do not put, say, or do anything on it that you are not OK with everyone you've ever known, will ever know, and will ever know of you, potentially being able to find it, once the internet has it, that's it.

Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins. Republics derive their strength and vigor from a popular examination into the action of the magistrates. They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

​- Benjamin Franklin

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The only thing you can do is trust the internet to be working. For anything else it is all about what you type in on your keyboard :).

For those not technically minded and the majority of those over their mid 30's, the internet is on their pc a box in their house that's a domestic appliance... they don't trust the net they just see the computer as already inside the bubble of protection that is their home. It doesn't even register that it can be an issue, sort of like the TV alot of people of that ilk blindly believe what their shown and don't think to question whether its coming from a biased viewpoint. But of late its getting alot of mainstream media attention, 2-3 years ago Mt Gox or such related news wouldn't have made it to the main evening news, but this year it did.