Can Dual 1 GB Ethernet NIC on a PC work together to improve Internet speed

BeornBear

I have a Ciara Desktop I7-3770 which has two 1GB Ethernet NIC. I have one Ethernet port. I am contemplating on purchasing a Ethernet splitter so that I can connect both Ethernet port. Would it be worthwihile to do so?! Or will it be better just to purchase a 2.5 GB Ethernet NIC?!

And ethernet splitter does not double your connection speed. It simply splits one port into two ports. But since both of these are connected to a single port on the other end, you'll still be limited by that port's speed. To use two NICs, you'd need two of them on both ends and you'd need hardware/software that supports link aggregation.

In any case, getting a 2.5 Gbit NIC isn't going to be wort it either, unless your ISPs router has more than a 1 Gbit connection and you're paying your ISP to get more than 1 Gbps to your home.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

35 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

unless your ISPs router has more than a 1 Gbit connection and you're paying your ISP to get more than 1 Gbps to your home.

Thats only half true since you still benefit from higer local speed (for example to youre NAS or Server sitting in the same network)

Also yes it increases youre speed but first you need to enable "port bundling" (if im correct) to get the full out of it

59 minutes ago, BeornBear said:

r will it be better just to purchase a 2.5 GB Ethernet NIC?!

that highly depends on your internet speed.

what's your internet speed? should be in your contract with isp. or you can just do a speed test (on speedtest. com)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Stormtrooper_007 said:

Thats only half true since you still benefit from higer local speed (for example to youre NAS or Server sitting in the same network)

The topic title says "internet speed", so that's what I'm refering to.

Yes, if you transfer a lot of data locally and both machines have 2.5 Gbps it's going to speed things up. Provided the switch/router you're going through can also do 2.5 Gbps.

By far the easiest way to increase internet speed is to buy a faster connection. I can buy speeds up to 5 times faster than my home connection current has but it’s just not worth paying for.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

With the Internet speed test, I have 69.9 Mps download and 44.4 Mbps upload via Ethernet connection. I do not have a server nor NAS. My concern lies with a potential bottleneck with 1 GB NIC. I will check with my Internet provider. 

8 minutes ago, BeornBear said:

With the Internet speed test, I have 69.9 Mps download and 44.4 Mbps upload via Ethernet connection. I do not have a server nor NAS. My concern lies with a potential bottleneck with 1 GB NIC. I will check with my Internet provider. 

How much internet bandwidth are you paying for? If you have ~70 Mbps downstream, a 1 Gbps NIC (i.e. 1000 Mbps) isn't going to bottleneck you in any way.