What to do with 10,000 dollars... (PC wise)

id just take the money and invest it into university even though i have a few more schools years i need to get my life in line 

True! I never had to spend money on education so I never think of that route.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha, yeah. The only way you really make money if it's sitting in the bank is if you have millions of dollars in there.

Frankly, if that's the case it should be invested in real estate.

Oh lord the taxes if you were that rich would be absurd.... it really is pitiful how low the interest rates are.... its depressing lol..

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

No no. It's a troll. He doesn't actually have the money.

Its a theoretical question. A troll is someone who does something that annoys everyone or something douchey, hes just simply making a conversation about a theoretical subject. if you dont like it dont read it. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Its a theoretical question. A troll is someone who does something that annoys everyone or something douchey, hes just simply making a conversation about a theoretical subject. if you dont like it dont read it. 

It wasn't worded theoretically though ;)

I know what a troll is.

While I completely agree, it shouldn't be in this section where people with serious builds and plans go. If he just wants to start conversation about it, that's what the Off Topic section is for imo.

Oh lord the taxes if you were that rich would be absurd.... it really is pitiful how low the interest rates are.... its depressing lol..

Taxes? Haha if you have that much money you don't really pay tax. You pay an accountant and he finds ways around such things ;)

Or do you guys pay taxes on savings down there?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

-snip-

Not too sure I'll have to look into the laws haha

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Frankly 10,000$ dollars is not insane money, the average american makes 50,000 a year and you don't know across how many years of saving every penny you can, you can actually save up a big amount of money if you have self-control and discipline, the question was clear, what to do with 10,000 $ PC wise, keyword PC wise, meaning any other opinion or statement that was not PC wise, was out of context. We're not here to give life advice or think about what the best way to make money is or go into college to get our lives "straight" is, it's a tech site, tech forums, on a general PC discussion topic, a tech question asking what to do/what would you do PC wise specifically with 10,000 $ US dollars.

fyi: stocks > savings account

as long as you're decently smart and don't bet your house on the table, you're not going to  starve to death if you luck out.

anyone else sick on trolls like these? who honestly would think of spending 10k on a pc if they were given the money  

No one's given anything, you work for the money. Even at the lowest wage of 10$/hour, you make more than that in a year. It's a question, a very specific question, and even if someone were gifted that money, they may like computers much more than you do or have some idea to make profit off of, think before you comment next time.

No one's given anything, you work for the money. Even at the lowest wage of 10$/hour, you make more than that in a year. It's a question, a very specific question, and even if someone were gifted that money, they may like computers much more than you do or have some idea to make profit off of, think before you comment next time.

but its a dumb question if you had 10k theres no way you would immediately get a pc like i said you would be smart and do something worth will with it unless your a idiot  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

but its a dumb question if you had 10k theres no way you would immediately get a pc like i said you would be smart and do something worth will with it unless your a idiot  

What if you already have/finished what you aim to spend it on? You have a PhD, graduated with honours in college, nice job, etc. There is money believe it or not, meant to be spent on "toys" in economics there are two terms a need and a want, you don't need a PC, in fact you don't even need half the stuff you have, but you want it if you've been saving up, working as hard as you can for some years and saved up 10,000 dollars amongst all those years while still fulfilling your needs such as education, you honestly think spending money on yourself on something you want, but don't need is stupid, then my friend you're the idiot.

Posted Image

I know we all like building one of these for less than your charged but the case is so damn sexy

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-000-MW&groupid=703&catid=2749

CA-000-MW_80513_600.jpg

edit: this one too http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-433-OE&emcs0=2&emcs1=Produktdetailseite&emcs2=CA-000-MW&emcs3=FS-433-OE

I will leave this here.

Also yes if this were a serious post the money could be put toward something a lot more beneficial. 

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Except that they are risky and are what's destroying economies.

Sorry but that's bullshit. If you know what you're doing they don't have to be risky.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I am I am. It would be fun if he actually had the money for such lunacy.

Kids these days...

No no. It's a troll. He doesn't actually have the money.

Stocks are never guaranteed. You could lose all of the money.

High interest savings plans on the other hand are decent.

Very little is guaranteed. Even a high interest savings plan, which is basically an oxymoron, can hurt if the value of the dollar plummets. No one should invest in something blindly but getting to know the stock market and understanding it better is much smarter than putting money into a "high interest savings" account. FYI, the majority of high interest savings plans give you like .75% interest. Investing in mutual funds can provide 10-15x that depending on how much homework you do.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Sorry but that's bullshit. If you know what you're doing they don't have to be risky.

lol sure theres a risk but what boggles my mind is how its destroying economies.....

Totally agree with your statement on stocks>savings account.

lol sure theres a risk but what boggles my mind is how its destroying economies.....

Totally agree with your statement on stocks>savings account.

It's not destroying economies, you and I both know that.  It's an emotional post and that's it.  No offense to who made the comment either.  There's lots of hate thrown toward the stock market, and even making large sums of money in general, by people who have established a voice and who understand very little about it and that misinformation gets spread around and around by the people who listen.  Every industry has it's bad eggs.  That's what seems to be missed by some.  The stock market is a great way to earn money IF you do your homework--clearly you know that. 

If people are going to be mad at people, be mad at bankers, not the stock market.   :D

If it wasn't risky everyone would be doing it. Shit happens that you cant see coming and stocks crash.

If it wasn't risky everyone would be doing it. Shit happens that you cant see coming and stocks crash.

Pretty much everyone IS doing it.  The majority of people who have money, have money invested in the stock market.  It can be just as risky as driving a car on the highway if you do it right.

Frankly 10,000$ dollars is not insane money, the average american makes 50,000 a year and you don't know across how many years of saving every penny you can, you can actually save up a big amount of money if you have self-control and discipline, the question was clear, what to do with 10,000 $ PC wise, keyword PC wise, meaning any other opinion or statement that was not PC wise, was out of context. We're not here to give life advice or think about what the best way to make money is or go into college to get our lives "straight" is, it's a tech site, tech forums, on a general PC discussion topic, a tech question asking what to do/what would you do PC wise specifically with 10,000 $ US dollars.

fyi: stocks > savings account

as long as you're decently smart and don't bet your house on the table, you're not going to  starve to death if you luck out.

The average American makes 50,000 a year, sound a bit high to me but hey... Still, 50,000 a year bruto I assume? And you have to pay rent, taxes, water, food, electricity, ... Life's expensive. I don't care how rich you are, spending 10k on a computer is silly. Spend half of that amount on a ridiculous, completly unneccessary overkill pc and send the rest to charity or donate it to research or something. Since you don't really seem to care that much about money (That's what I'm getting from your posts).

It's indeed a tech forum, but you asked for other opinions and ideas. Those can include non-tech related ones. Be more specific, what do you want of this computer etc.

Should I build one kick-ass completely overkill 10,000$ PC or five 2000$ PC's along the years to experience different technologies and generations of hardware.

Other opinions and ideas are welcome.

Edit: Get a 2-3k build, save the rest.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

Pretty much everyone IS doing it.  The majority of people who have money, have money invested in the stock market.  It can be just as risky as driving a car on the highway if you do it right.

I'm not even going to bother anymore....

Even when driving on a highway a drunkass idiot can drive into your car, good metaphor. Not everyone is doing it, and I know a lot people who lost tons of money on the stock market after the crash. It's not safe/guaranteed money. Just like driving on your highway, unexpected events happen.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

Even when driving on a highway a drunkass idiot can drive into your car, good metaphor. Not everyone is doing it, and I know a lot people who lost tons of money on the stock market after the crash. It's not safe/guaranteed money. Just like driving on your highway, unexpected events happen.

My metaphor took exactly that into account.  That was my whole point.  If you're investing right you can diminish the odds of losing your money.  Invest in big companies like Apple.  Apple isn't going anywhere.  It takes homework.  There are companies that pose as much risk as driving on a highway--Apple being one of them.  Also, don't put all of your money in one place.  Diversify.  

I would make a $3,000 build, and then buy a car or something.

(You should consider hiring a hooker to carry your PC to LAN parties)

Buy a decent one now, then upgrade the motherboard/RAM/CPU when haswell-E comes out. Then buy some wicked networking equipment

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop