Where can I buy the WD Red Pro 10TB?

Dash Lambda

I just received my second DOA. First one was Amazon, this one is Newegg. It's been more than a month and I'm just tired of this. I can go to Microcenter and get an 8TB, but no physical stores seem to carry the 10TB, at least in the Detroit area. Is that my only option? Is there no way to get the 10TB besides spending a week or more wondering whether the drive will be anything more than scrap metal once it gets to my door?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Does the drive spin up? 2 doa's is pretty rare, id really look at your setup to make sure thats not the issue.

Can you use other brands, do microcenter have the ironwolf 10tb drives?

Can you get something like a gold, exos or shucked drive?

are you 100% sure its DOA? one would be normal but two is unlikely

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the drive spin up? 2 DOA's is pretty rare, I'd really look at your setup to make sure that's not the issue.

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

Are you 100% sure its DOA? One would be normal but two is unlikely.

That was one of the first things I investigated. My PSU recently failed and took my onboard audio with it (this was before I got the first drive), so I was suspicious of some sort of sneaky damage killing them.

I'm putting them in my case's front 3.5" slots, there's two with quick-change sleds (it's a HAF XB). I've tried my current 4TB drive in both slots, a random 250GB drive in both, and I've tried both at the same time. No issues.

I did have an SSD in the top slot die earlier this year, but it was an old, cheap Sandisk.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you use other brands, does Microcenter have the Ironwolf 10TB drives?

Can you get something like a Gold, Exos or shucked drive?

Microcenter has the Ironwolf, but I've gotten bad impressions of Seagate's reliability over the years. Is the Ironwolf different?

I wouldn't mind a Gold, but I'd have to get that online as well, so I run into the same concerns.

12 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

How exactly was it DOA?

Beeping and clicking on startup (only startup I think), doesn't show up in Explorer, disk manager fails to initialize due to an "I/O Device Error."

EDIT: Just to clarify, the symptoms were the exact same for both drives.

Does your motherboard support that large of a HDD?

I know some motherboards are dumb like that.

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I've tried my current 4TB drive in both slots, a random 250GB drive in both, and I've tried both at the same time. No issues.

Yeah some boards and sata controllers wont support drives over 4tb.

I have to run my 8tb drives off of usb 3.0 controllers as my boards sata 2 controller will not support 8tb drives. 

4 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

Does your motherboard support that large of a HDD?

I know some motherboards are dumb like that.

I'm having trouble finding that information. It's a Crosshair 6 Hero, I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

Just now, emosun said:

Yeah some boards and SATA controllers wont support drives over 4TB.

I have to run my 8tb drives off of USB 3.0 controllers as my boards SATA 2 controller will not support 8TB drives. 

It's a Crosshair 6 Hero, I can't seem to find anything about capacity limit problems with its SATA controller. It does go through a daughter board (backplane for the drive cage), but I'm pretty sure that's just a straight passthrough.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

It does go through a daughter board (backplane for the drive cage), but I'm pretty sure that's just a straight passthrough.

have you tried plugging it directly into the motherboard and using a newer cable?

just googling 10tb drive support yields a common problem of boards not supporting the size of drive. 10tb drives usually are connected to a dedicated controller and not typically just a consumer motherboard

Just now, emosun said:

Have you tried plugging it directly into the motherboard and using a newer cable?

Just Googling 10TB drive support yields a common problem of boards not supporting the size of drive. 10TB drives usually are connected to a dedicated controller and not typically just a consumer motherboard

I have not, I can do that later though.

I understand it being a common problem, but the only mention of someone having trouble with a 10TB drive on this board I found was an old NVMe SSD. Just seems like there would be other people in my predicament if it were an issue. Is there any way I could tell for sure that it's the SATA controller? Would that problem make it beep, click, and fail to initialize due to an I/O device error?

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Would that problem make it beep, click, and fail to initialize due to an I/O device error?

what does it do when only the sata power cable is connected , same thing?

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

What does it do when only the SATA power cable is connected, same thing?

Yep, same thing.

I turned my fan off this time so I could hear better, and it's really weird. The clicking is rather muted but it definitely doesn't sound like the arm moving normally, it goes between rapid clicks and slow heavy clicks, and there's some noise that sounds sort of like air being blown through a tiny hole, maybe scraping. That air/scraping sound surges regularly, and in-between each surge it beeps, until after a little bit it beeps twice and goes silent. It never spins up.

Got another power supply to try it on?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Got another power supply to try it on?

I do, I might try that later, but I don't think it would make a difference. The first one was on my spare CX750M while I was dealing with Corsair for the failed PSU, this one is on the brand new HX1000i I got as a replacement, same symptoms.

@emosun@Kilrah@EpiCheeseTime

I just tested it with my brother's USB SATA dock, starts clicking furiously and beeping before totally shutting down, still won't show up.

12 hours ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

@Dash Lambda Try hitting it with a hammer?
Please don't actually do that...

Instructions unclear, mind downloaded onto hard drive.

For real though, I just sent the drive in for a replacement. I'll put here whether or not the next one's a DOA. If it is, then... uhm... no clue. Seems unlikely. Even more so than two.

@Dash Lambda right. I'm baffled that two came like that. But with a HDD as dense as a 10tb, it isn't unheard of for them to be DOA...just this frequent...and to the same person...i would not buy a loto ticket anytime soon lol

• 3 weeks later...

@EpiCheeseTime

New one just came in, and it works. I'm moving in as we speak (and will probably not be done for another day or so).

It really was just two DOAs in a row, from two different retailers. I'm not really sure how I feel about that.