How in the f I can remove really stripped screws on the CPU heatsink

TukangUsapEmenq
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

Get two pairs of pliers or one pliers and one strong tweezers or similar, the pliers to grip the head and lift while turning, the other pair or similar, to help with the lfting and supporting the screw... that should do it all being well.

Yep. I made stupid mistake of forcing three of those screws (and three removed safely fortunately) because I'm using cheapo-ass Chinese brand screwdriver set. I wanna change my thermal paste to MX-4 (thermals are slightly worse than usual btw, few degree cooler would be really nice to have) by my self and it's usually easy-peasy (kind of experienced of doing this on the family, mostly on old PCs and two old laptop). Now I really don't know how to at least remove those three screws that one of them are just completely stripped enough. Two of them actually can still turn but I'm not a donkey.

What I did?

• Used rubber band, failed miserably.
  • Used cyanoacrylate-based superglue, waited for 30 mins, that even I have to buy one on night, failed. Doesn't even strong enough.
  • Prayed to gimme some more power for the screw to at least rotate, He seems to hates me right now that I overturn the screwdriver.

Few options to do, somehow.

• Get it to a local computer store, which I STRONGLY AGAINST because I really mistrust those  f***ers who stole some of the screws while fixing it (yes, I did serviced a laptop and 2 PCs on DIFFERENT computer store like, years ago when I'm too afraid to open the devices and few screws are just missing from every single store of them). Plus, I won't know how other things they would physically on my laptop.
  • Dremmel it... Which, dunno. Probably won't do such risky thing because the completely stripped one are so close to the heat pipe. And, it's so close to the CPU. Plus, I don't have the small ones. Pops got 3 angle grinder, tho.
  • Solder it. Well.. Hell no. Too high risk putting solder on the PCB.

I wouldn't mind finding replacements for the screw as those are normal M2x3 screw anyway, I can find it online easily. It's not kind of emergency either so feel free to suggest me something that works.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Can you show a picture of the damaged screw?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pics plz. 

Btw, do you have a drill?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Get two pairs of pliers or one pliers and one strong tweezers or similar, the pliers to grip the head and lift while turning, the other pair or similar, to help with the lfting and supporting the screw... that should do it all being well.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Spoiler

The good one.

Spoiler

The most f-ed one

Spoiler

Stripped enough but still possibly works

Spoiler

Same either

Posting on phone. So sorry if I'm too lazy to organize it much. And literally I forgot to post pics lol

First pic is how it's basically should be. 

Second one, the worst one. 

Third and fourth, at least I tried some but not as worst than the second one. 

@minibois @HelpfulTechWizard

13 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Well, I forgot to mention using normal pliers (the kinda good one, Tekiro). Seems the base of the screws are too thin and it's kinda always slip. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

6 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:
  Hide contents

The good one.

Hide contents

The most f-ed one

Hide contents

Stripped enough but still possibly works

Hide contents

Same either

Posting on phone. So sorry if I'm too lazy to organize it much. And literally I forgot to post pics lol

First pic is how it's basically should be. 

Second one, the worst one. 

Third and fourth, at least I tried some but not as worst than the second one. 

Ahh that's not stripped, that's rounded out.... you can get screw removers for that, they cut into the screw itself and removes it.

[edit] |Sorry it IS stripped, but I refer to them as rounded out, stripped is what I call it when the thread is stripped.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Seems you've got enough clearance to just use pliers on the outside of the screw's head.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Seems you've got enough clearance to just use pliers on the outside of the screw's head.

Two of them are like this, unfortunately. The base of the screw itself are on the nearly same diameter as the screw.

Plus, those are just so close to the SMD resistors that a unlucky slip would not end good, perhaps I thought. 

Spoiler

IMG_20201006_212848.thumb.jpg.175e0e2ac522d6182ebb63b46de36670.jpg

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

12 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh that's not stripped, that's rounded out.... you can get screw removers for that, they cut into the screw itself and removes it.

[edit] |Sorry it IS stripped, but I refer to them as rounded out, stripped is what I call it when the thread is stripped.

11 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Welp, that screw remover woulda works if I have guts to drill into a PCB so close to both of CPU and GPU....

But. Yet. Is it safe, tho? 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

It's definitely sketchy but you don't exactly have a choice at this point, it's either using pliers, drilling or putting everything back together and forgetting about repasting.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's definitely sketchy but you don't exactly have a choice at this point, it's either using pliers, drilling or putting everything back together and forgetting about repasting.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Now you did actually inspired me to just 'fck it' because I wouldn't sleep until this problem is solved. 

Guess what?

Spoiler

IMG_20201006_223609.thumb.jpg.9fc9a44d5e5549e95788b3c433bef428.jpg

Yes, it's sketchy enough but finally I felt fine to do so. I found one YouTube comments to use a nail clip and a plier. 

And turns out, my old Aspire 4253 back screws on the battery compartment got the exactly the same screw size. And it's the good quality one. Ended up not to waste $4 just for the screws online. 

Now it's two to go. Consider this thread is done. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Like, a lot.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

I'd like to make some updates here. Dunno, because I would feel good to do so maybe lol

Seems that one screw before is just epic luck that happened, it just came out real easy while I'm using the nail clip. 

The two of them on the GPU. Holy moly. Took me 6 hours (4 hours at night, another 2 just happened this morning after I took good night rest) total just to remove both of it. 

Well, the second one, removed. 

Spoiler

IMG-20201007-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.1c5a06df3f61ca4105995bf51fd37a77.jpeg

Like. It won't even budge no matter how hard I did use the plier. Felt so frustrated. I used a pipe saw laying around to make some way for minus screwdriver to do the thing. Didn't work. The screw base's are just so thin. 

Got a little idea to instead scrape the side of the screw to make more friction area for the nail clip. Well, unexpectedly, the scrape on the middle I did before, just bent away. 

This is actually why I can remove it way more easily. 

Third one? Turns out one capacitor and the disk drive SATA interface really interfere with my saw-to-the-side method. Managed to saw some of the screw, but won't even budge as I felt it's kinda way over torqued that I even thought 'are they even using threadlocker here? Dafuq' 

Welp. Turns out. I can be a little more creative than that. 

Spoiler

IMG_20201007_105134.thumb.jpg.3ca97a697eba2ba73db5048b77a38a7e.jpg

Yes. I actually just rotate the heatsink. Using the screw base as the driver. It actually moves, until it won't. Managed to put some paper below it so it won't make too much mess. 

Well, when it won't move any more, I just place the heatsink on it's place. And try again with the nail clip. Finally, it works. And for the sake cuz I'm tired of this sh*t, I just rotated them using finger. Welp. Kinda made a scrape on my finger because of constant torture for last few hours. 

Spoiler

IMG_20201007_090404.thumb.jpg.345bead7e723abe2d24234f2bcd154d9.jpg

And, yeah. I'm right. The paste are on it's way to dry. Old paste out, MX-4 came in. 

36-40 (before, it wouldn't even touch 30) degree idle. 45-52 (before, can even reach 60) degree when I used Google Meet for a seminar.

Now it's charging for a first calibration for a new (probably refurbished as it's cheapo af but meh only using it for UPS anyway so I can save my work for at least when brownout happens) battery, lol on 30% it just went drop straight to 7%. 

Welp. I dunno why would I wrote this but I just kind of want to as little token of appreciation of my own effort lol

Thanks anyway. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

19 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Welp, that screw remover woulda works if I have guts to drill into a PCB so close to both of CPU and GPU....

But. Yet. Is it safe, tho? 

I know you have this sorted now, but just for knowledge's sake, the crew extractor is used at a low load speed in reverse... the extractor cuts into the screw (but not drilling), and when it's sufficiently in enough it unscrews the screw/bolt etc. Does both jobs in one, and is very good, I have a few sets myself for those tricky ones.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

16 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I know you have this sorted now, but just for knowledge's sake, the crew extractor is used at a low load speed in reverse... the extractor cuts into the screw (but not drilling), and when it's sufficiently in enough it unscrews the screw/bolt etc. Does both jobs in one, and is very good, I have a few sets myself for those tricky ones.

Yeah, I saw videos about those extractors, even probably managed to do it with a small drill bit. Well, unfortunately, all of my pop's drills that can do counterclockwise rotation (he has two of them lol), he bought those to work.

I guess right now I'd just be more careful of undoing those things.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

9 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Yeah, I saw videos about those extractors, even probably managed to do it with a small drill bit. Well, unfortunately, all of my pop's drills that can do counterclockwise rotation (he has two of them lol), he bought those to work.

I guess right now I'd just be more careful of undoing those things.

Yeah, for sure be more careful if you can. If you feel the head slipping, choose another head and try again, don't force it... and also keep a few rubber bands handy, they can help when there's a slight mismatch of head size.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 2 years later...
On 10/6/2020 at 11:45 PM, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Now you did actually inspired me to just 'fck it' because I wouldn't sleep until this problem is solved. 

Guess what?

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20201006_223609.thumb.jpg.9fc9a44d5e5549e95788b3c433bef428.jpg

Yes, it's sketchy enough but finally I felt fine to do so. I found one YouTube comments to use a nail clip and a plier. 

And turns out, my old Aspire 4253 back screws on the battery compartment got the exactly the same screw size. And it's the good quality one. Ended up not to waste $4 just for the screws online. 

Now it's two to go. Consider this thread is done. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Like, a lot.

hye. I know this is an old post but if somehow you do see my reply, may I know from what video on youtube that you found the comment about using the nail clip and plier? or if you can describe to me how you actually do it yourself removing those screws using those 2 tools I would be very thankful for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, mazinhahs said:

hye. I know this is an old post but if somehow you do see my reply, may I know from what video on youtube that you found the comment about using the nail clip and plier? or if you can describe to me how you actually do it yourself removing those screws using those 2 tools I would be very thankful for you.

It's in Indonesian, but I thought the visual would've explaining enough of what I did.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio