2 Antivirus At The Same Time

This is probably gonna sound dumb but I'm gonna ask anyway.
Is it okay to run 2 antivirus at the same time? I have Avast and Malwarebytes, I've read somewhere that it is not okay to run 2 at the same time because they will conflict or something but I also read somewhere else that it is okay because Avast will be mainly for virus in the system or stuff while Malwarebytes will be incoming malware ( I assume like when I'm browsing and downloading stuff it will detect malware which I already see it doing, not sure if Avast also does it).

Anyways long story short, is it okay to run both of them at the same time? 

No. They'll conflict with each other and cause headaches. If you just have them installed at the same time but only run them one at a time (like, turn off Avast to scan with MWB), that works. If you're on Windows 10, you don't need any antivirus beyond Windows Defender and a shred of common sense about what you're clicking.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

yea best protection is windows defender + pihole ad blocker + condom over your ethernet plug joke.

3 hours ago, KengKui said:

Is it okay to run 2 antivirus at the same time? I have Avast and Malwarebytes, I've read somewhere that it is not okay to run 2 at the same time because they will conflict or something but I also read somewhere else that it is okay because Avast will be mainly for virus in the system or stuff while Malwarebytes will be incoming malware ( I assume like when I'm browsing and downloading stuff it will detect malware which I already see it doing, not sure if Avast also does it).

Image installing all of the antiviruses in the world onto one system, I wonder what will happen...

9 hours ago, MrDBD said:

Image installing all of the antiviruses in the world onto one system, I wonder what will happen...

Have you seen Star Trek III?

No, using 2 antiviruses is not correct. It is best to use antivirus + firewall.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:22 AM, KengKui said:

On 10/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, aisle9 said:

No. They'll conflict with each other and cause headaches. If you just have them installed at the same time but only run them one at a time (like, turn off Avast to scan with MWB), that works. If you're on Windows 10, you don't need any antivirus beyond Windows Defender and a shred of common sense about what you're clicking.

That's incorrect, at least defender + malwarebytes work fine together, no conflicts whatsoever.

I think malwarebytes should actually work with any *AV* because technically malwarebytes is not an AV, but I haven't tested this as I only use windows defender (+ malwarebytes) 

Generally it's correct, 2 AVs at once will cause issues, however malwarebytes is not really an AV (that's how the russian dude that recommended this to me explained it anyway 😂 but, yes, it does work without issues. )

Also recommend the free version of malwarebytes, not only cause I'm a cheapskate but also because it's much less annoying and intrusive.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's incorrect, at least defender + malwarebytes work fine together, no conflicts whatsoever.

I think malwarebytes should actually work with any *AV* because technically malwarebytes is not an AV, but I haven't tested this as I only use windows defender (+ malwarebytes) 

Generally it's correct, 2 AVs at once will cause issues, however malwarebytes is not really an AV (that's how the russian dude that recommended this to me explained it anyway 😂 but, yes, it does work without issues. )

Also recommend the free version of malwarebytes, not only cause I'm a cheapskate but also because it's much less annoying and intrusive.

Defender doesn’t really count as an AV for this question. It gets along with just about anything, probably because it’s as much a Windows component as it is an antivirus. Avast, on the other hand, is not. I haven’t used anything but Defender and common sense (or Linux on an ancient laptop with no personal data) in a long time, but I have had issues with Avast and AVG both thinking that that MWB was malware and making life miserable.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Defender doesn’t really count as an AV for this question. It gets along with just about anything, probably because it’s as much a Windows component as it is an antivirus. Avast, on the other hand, is not. I haven’t used anything but Defender and common sense (or Linux on an ancient laptop with no personal data) in a long time, but I have had issues with Avast and AVG both thinking that that MWB was malware and making life miserable.

now that you say it , I had kaspersky once and it deleted nilly willy "virus definitions" from mwb...

So in the end what the russian guy told me (he was an IT professor or something) is still right... Windows defender+ mwb work great together  and both would be widely considered as "AV"...

I just use mwb to "fact check" personally, because windows defender sometimes gets it wrong.

ps: and in my experience you can't run something like windows defender + regular AV like avast, avira (etc) because one or both programs will start complaining about the other...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity