[Solved] Significant lower Cinebench score after switching to Dual Channel? (Acer Nitro 5)

Go to solution Solved by freexavier,
30 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

looks like they are running at 2933 C21, which is fine. are you sure there were no other background programms running the second time? or maybe the laptop wasn't plugged in, or it was on a different power profile?

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Cinebench has never been very ram performance sensitive so it is unlikely for that in itself to be the cause. Both modules seem to support the same JEDEC speed/timings so that is also unlikely to be any problem.

Plug in the laptop and let the battery fully charge before testing, just to rule out any power limitations.

Let Windows sit idle with Task Manager open. Ensure nothing else is happening before/during the test.

Run something that shows CPU clocks (I like hwinfo64). Keep an eye on it while the benchmark is running. You will have to resize windows.

If the score hasn't got much closer to before, take out the new ram, and repeat to make sure you can still get the old score. Again check clocks while running.

Note you might get a small loss in score while monitoring software is running.

Now that you guys brought up the power settings. I just remembered I had my fans at Max Speed. I was gaming before I had it closed and the fans still at Max for some bit of idle time which then I benched then inserted the new RAM which then by when it restarted, the fans were on Auto. Turns out its just Turbo Boost acting up AHahaahhahahahah!

I was able to get the same score again! Thanks nonetheless guys. Good thing it was just some simple boosting feature.

523838998_CinebenchDualChannel3rdt.PNG.4f98b7a51b89176d9152a32aad2979e1.PNG

EDIT: Turns out it was Intel Turbo Boost that was bumping up my score for my Single Channel benchmark as my fans were running at max fan speeds. Now I remember why reviews have bad taste for Intel Turbo Boost. 

For some odd reason, my scores a significantly lower with now having a secondary RAM, 2x 8GB RAM, on my laptop (Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-50S0 (i5 10300H, 1x8GB RAM, 512 SSD, 1Tb HDD, 144Hz). I attached photos of the specs specs of my laptop bellow. From 2102 pts to 1306 isnt nothing to pass on. Mhm... Havent tried using CPU-Z to compare. Would be a hassle to reopen the laptop again to benchmark again.

1289262988_MemoryCPUMoboInfo.thumb.JPG.ed90ac061c4ec4eda3c2bf4deae8bdcc.JPG721721154_CinebenchDualChannelvsSingle.PNG.fc74ba87715630c4cfc4132b9bb78692.PNG

Edited by freexavier
Solved

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

I may or may not be wrong but it looks like you have different CAS timings for each stick of RAM. I would think this affects performance greatly and is always suggested to buy/use the same pair of memory sticks. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Now that would be an issue as I ordered this all the way from the US to here in the Philippines hahhahaha

Tho does the different timings causes an issue? Iirc the lowest RAM with the timings would downclock to a higher timing to match the higher timed second RAM?

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

9 minutes ago, freexavier said:

Now that would be an issue as I ordered this all the way from the US to here in the Philippines hahhahaha

Tho does the different timings causes an issue? Iirc the lowest RAM with the timings would downclock to a higher timing to match the higher timed second RAM?

Normally everything runs at the slowest common speeds when combining different timings or frequencies.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

looks like they are running at 2933 C21, which is fine. are you sure there were no other background programms running the second time? or maybe the laptop wasn't plugged in, or it was on a different power profile?

Cinebench has never been very ram performance sensitive so it is unlikely for that in itself to be the cause. Both modules seem to support the same JEDEC speed/timings so that is also unlikely to be any problem.

Plug in the laptop and let the battery fully charge before testing, just to rule out any power limitations.

Let Windows sit idle with Task Manager open. Ensure nothing else is happening before/during the test.

Run something that shows CPU clocks (I like hwinfo64). Keep an eye on it while the benchmark is running. You will have to resize windows.

If the score hasn't got much closer to before, take out the new ram, and repeat to make sure you can still get the old score. Again check clocks while running.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

30 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Now that you guys brought up the power settings. I just remembered I had my fans at Max Speed. I was gaming before I had it closed and the fans still at Max for some bit of idle time which then I benched then inserted the new RAM which then by when it restarted, the fans were on Auto. Turns out its just Turbo Boost acting up AHahaahhahahahah!

I was able to get the same score again! Thanks nonetheless guys. Good thing it was just some simple boosting feature.

523838998_CinebenchDualChannel3rdt.PNG.4f98b7a51b89176d9152a32aad2979e1.PNG