Converting a laptop to a desktop

DrPickle

Hey all, sorry I wasnt very clear on what I meant when I first posted this so I am editing it to give you more info, I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 laptop and realised that I made a mistake in buying a laptop and I dont want to buy a whole new computer so I would rather convert it to a desktop, what I mean by this is seperating the storage, cpu, gpu etc from the laptop motherboard and putting it onto a desktop motherboard, I know how to remove the storage, ram and cpu but not the gpu, and I am concered that I am going to completey break it if I try, (althougth the gpu is a 1050ti so I wouldnt lose much) but I still want to be able to use it

Edited by DrPickle

Have you seen other people do this? Many motherboards in laptops are custom and thus limited in upgradability. It isn't strictly about space in the case. You'll be held to the hardware that said motherboard can accommodate. Interested to know what others think.

My first thought is, source 'newer' used parts, and sell the laptop to help fund the build.

I wouldn't recommend trying it. You can take the internals out of a laptop and put them in a makeshift DIY desktop case, but you'll never get it to have the upgradability of a normal desktop. Additionally you run the risk of messing something up when trying to take everything out, or possibly messing up the thermal solution on the motherboard. Save yourself the money of having to buy another PC if you mess up the laptop trying to convert it, and use it to just buy a legit gaming PC down the road instead.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

If you're fairly new to computer hardware, I highly recommend watching Professor Messer on Youtube. He covers all the topics you need to be a certified IT technician, but sections 1.X would be the videos you're after.

Edited by theDapperFoxtrot
Setting video to start in a more relevant place.

10 minutes ago, DrPickle said:

Hey all, I made a mistake a while back of buying a gaming laptop and I want to convert it to a normal desktop that is upgradable, any tips?

Thanks

What is your machine?

1 minute ago, TotallyNotGigabit said:

What is your machine?

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what do you mean convert a laptop into a desktop?

sorry i wasnt really that clear on my post so I edited it

laptop gpus, cpus and ram are not compatible with desktop motherboards.

so the most you could get out of this exercise is moving everything you have to a bigger case for more airflow. your upgradeability would still be limited by what you curerntly have.

As far as I'm aware the graphics is soldered, and so is the CPU. It's not easy, or feasible. What you can do is just connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor to it and leave it on a stand. That's the most you can do. I'd have suggested a eGPU but it doesn't have Thunderbolt 3.

14 minutes ago, DrPickle said:

Hey all, sorry I wasnt very clear on what I meant when I first posted this so I am editing it to give you more info, I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 laptop and realised that I made a mistake in buying a laptop and I dont want to buy a whole new computer so I would rather convert it to a desktop, what I mean by this is seperating the storage, cpu, gpu etc from the laptop motherboard and putting it onto a desktop motherboard, I know how to remove the storage, ram and cpu but not the gpu, and I am concered that I am going to completey break it if I try, (althougth the gpu is a 1050ti so I wouldnt lose much) but I still want to be able to use it

1 minute ago, DrPickle said:

sorry i wasnt really that clear on my post so I edited it

Despite your edit, it doesn't change the fact that many components are designed with mobile devices in mind. Are you saying you have full size RAM sticks in this laptop and not SO-DIMMs? You should also double check that the CPU and GPU aren't mobile. These are all being powered by a battery or power adapter, so these components likely are all going to be running as designed to avoid overheating a laptop.

Anyone let me know if I'm confused?

You can't remove most of the thing from that laptop, not the CPU and GPU which is the main thing.

At best you just moving the whole motherboard to a new case, which will be more messier than just having it stick inside the laptop case and just run it with a desktop monitor (through HDMI), a desktop keyboard and mouse. Viola a desktop.

In other word if you still wanna do this, you basically still have a LAPTOP just in a different case, which is pointless.

This make sense if you wanna build PC with laptop parts from scratch.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w