Nvidida RTX 3080 Canada AIB Pricing Leaked

tarfeef101
1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

From past behaviors of pricing, when the Canadian dollars lowers in value compared to the US, prices are quick to adapt. But when the reverse occurs, excuses are said for years, saying that price adjustment takes time, while showing record profits in the region due to the higher price then what it should be.

For better or for worse (I lean towards the latter), that's just a function of our oligopolistic industries (itself  a function of our geography) and the pricing power they wield.

7 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Memory Express has cards listed as in store only with pricing now.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Brand/asus/AmpereRTX3000Launch.Offer.aspx

yep, canada computers has full pricing, newegg has most, memex has theirs up, shoprbc does too (just evga, basically tho). best buy still doesn't. and nobody is letting you buy online, some claim retail store availability but show 0 in stock

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

$1k sounds affordable, but I might stretch my 1080Ti a little bit more.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

yep, canada computers has full pricing, newegg has most, memex has theirs up, shoprbc does too (just evga, basically tho). best buy still doesn't. and nobody is letting you buy online, some claim retail store availability but show 0 in stock

Ya I know with memory express they wont bother updating their stock levels they show online since they are only available in store. It wouldnt shock me if locations had less than 10 cards in stock across all skus for launch, stock levels suck for this launch, at least thats what I heard from someone who works at a mem x location

Can confirm stock levels are crap for everyone. Newegg had some but couldn't get the site to load in time, server issues not in my favour :(

Canada computers and memex still showing in-store only

bestbuy sold out or out of stock, never saw in stock (and their prices ain't great)

nothing on amazon yet (one MSI ventus listing, no price or stock though, and it isn't searchable)

other smaller people not showing anything either

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Anyway, looking at benchmarks and GN teardown we can see that:

• The GPU is clearly pushed to the near max out of the box. So OC'ing is limited with minimal improvements.
  • The 2x performance claim or even Digital Foundry performance boost where cherry picked. The GPU is really 40-60%better than the GeForce 2080 (which wasn't much faster than the 1080, if you recall). The difference in performance compared to the 2080Ti is only 20%.. sure it's not bad, but it is not "2x better".
  • The graphics card, despite the supposedly highest end one for the chip, is missing chips on the PCB. This indicates that Nvidia clearly has a 12, or 14 or 16GB model in the pipeline, and clearly are waiting for AMD to release theirs, before releasing it. 
  • AIB seems to have little to no time to design their GPU new cooler for Nvidia new GPU. So as we can see from these early models, they just slap whatever existing cooler that they have (with little modification to properly cool the memory chips and the GPU itself, and not time to actually R&D a better cooler (which also costs millions of dollars in the end), and call it day. It seems that most agrees that most AIB cooler designs (I mean in terms of looks), are terrible. Probably took some old designed that were not selected for the plastic parts and slap on it. I think when the 3080 Ti will come out, AIBs will have more interesting cooler and nicer looking designs.

We can also see AIBs cooler aren't as good as Nvidia's , despite 50$ higher price tag:

We can see performance in benchmark not on par with FE card. So for the same price, you get plastic, old design, instead of a new design and full metal body. But you also get worse performance. That said, that is benchmarks, and in gaming the performance is identical (but who knows with later games... I mean yea sure, it will probably be always <5fps difference, but for the same price, why would you not get the best of the 2... well.. its not the same price, it is 50$ US more than the FE card... sooo more reason to hold on your money)

So in my opinion:

• The Founder Edition at its MSRP is an great buy if you don't have a 2080 or 2080Ti already. The performance boost is nice (and of course better older the GPU is), and the performance isn't marginal as the 2080 was over the 1080. For the price of the Founder Edition, you get an excellent cooler, that clearly is more than adequate to cool off the GPU (at idle or low load, the fans don't spins apparently), and unless you have a cooling issue with your case, the GPU fans don't go up to 100% either under load. The cooler is innovative and nice looking. This has a cost. And together with the GPU it is a great purchase.

• AIB models, in their current states, should be cheaper than the Founder's Edition. It would be not the best purchase to buy them. Basically, you are paying for the GPU, but for the same price or more, you get this old cooler with tacky (again, in my opinion) plastic shroud.

In conclusion,

• Wait wait wait and wait. Wait for AMD to release their GPUs and is benchmarked. I suspect that Nvidia will have a reply early next year with a 3080 (or 3080 Ti) with more memory at the same or lower price point. I said in the past in the 3080 reveal thread, it would be foolish to assume that Nvidia (and in reverse with AMD) doesn't know anything about its competitor. They probably know more than anyone else on what the other is doing. This is hundred of millions of dollars at stakes. Nvidia choose to release quickly their GPU, and clearly OC their chip out of the box to the max. Their presentation was clearly filled with hype. And we see that AIBs are playing the game as well with their overpriced cards. They know that the FE cared will be sold out, and while the hype is still high until AMD releases anything, they are jacking the price. You can bet that AIBs have the last or near last revision of AMD GPUs so that the AIBs can  start planning to build the PCB for the GPU, test it, and determine the cooler the GPU actually needs (and modify existing models to fits the placement of components or design a new one) and so on. They most likely know that the hype will be killed with AMD products, so might as well take advantage of impulse buyers.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

- Snip -

Yep, that seems about right to me. 

I am an Nvidia man cause of pro apps/tools I use, so I'm going Nvidia for most of my systems. I will get an AMD card for my testbench just to have both vendors, but that's not what impacting other purchasing decisions for me. 

Similarly, I have enough PCs to buy the 3080 for my main rig (currently 1080ti) even tho I expect a 3080ti next year. When that comes out, I'll upgrade and move the 3080 to my server. 

As for coolers, I watercool so I couldn't care less. 

But yeah for an average use case, I think you're fairly spot on there. Though some of the AIB coolers could still be good, e.g. the TUF at MSRP looks alright from initial testing. 

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

AIB models, in their current states, should be cheaper than the Founder's Edition. It would be not the best purchase to buy them. Basically, you are paying for the GPU, but for the same price or more, you get this old cooler with tacky (again, in my opinion) plastic shroud.

Just because EVGA released a crappy product doesn't mean other AIB did. The ASUS TUF Gaming has a metal shroud and is cooler, quieter and faster than the FE card, while being supposedly $699.