What PC components will give you a electric shock if you touch them while it is running?(not static shock)

Newblesse Obblige

I want to know this as I might touch something that I shouldn't touch while I test my newly bought and running components.

Don't touch any power delivery stuff, but why would you be touching a computer while it's on?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Except PSU, the others are running on DC 12v.

That means you won't die but you will feel a shock if you try enough. ALSO DON'T TRY IT!

you should never ever ever touch the insides of a running pc. there are fans running that can cut your fingers if you are unlucky and some components could indeed shock you, only touch the insides when the computer is off and the switch on the power supply is switched off so that no power is getting through to the components you are touching, and always make sure you are grounded to stop ESD from damaging any components you touch, that can happen even if there is no power going to the components. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Don't touch any power delivery stuff, but why would you be touching a computer while it's on?

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

you should never ever ever touch the insides of a running pc. there are fans running that can cut your fingers if you are unlucky and some components could indeed shock you, only touch the insides when the computer is off and the switch on the power supply is switched off so that no power is getting through to the components you are touching, and always make sure you are grounded to stop ESD from damaging any components you touch, that can happen even if there is no power going to the components. 

When I'm doing a test if my newly bought components like CPU, Cooler, RAM, Motherboard and Graphics card, are working properly. I am a rascal and clumsy so I might just something that I shouldn't

Just now, 5GigaaHertz said:

When I'm doing a test if my newly bought component are working properly. I am a rascal and clumsy so I might just something that I shouldn't

Why would you be testing shit by touching it in the first place?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why would you be testing shit by touching it in the first place?

Things can happen to me as I touch things unconsciously which isn't the case for the rest of you. 

8 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

I want to know this as I might touch something that I shouldn't touch while I test my newly bought and running components.

As long as you don't touch any bare wires I think your OK

anything inside the computer SHOULDNT shock you, as it should be grounded so the voltage relative to ground should'nt be too high

any voltage past the PSU is safe (you only get 24V max from bridging -12v and 12v with your body, even then the current is very limited)

the PSU casing or other bare metal parts are safe to touch. people designing a computer dont want it to be a death trap.

that said, you shouldnt touch anything anyways, the risk of you dying is near 0 but the things you touch might die, as you might bridge things with a sweaty finger or smth.

if you feel a tingly shock when you run your finger across your computer, it most often means it's not grounded and the surge protector feature of your PSU wont work.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Don't stick anything metal in the PSU and you'll be fine as long as everything is installed correctly.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the risk of you dying is near 0 but the things you touch might die

this

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it counter intuitive, at a fundamental level, to put your hands inside a powered electrical device?

Especially, when it is one with as many "moving parts" (for want of a better expression) as a desktop computer. 

If it was me I would turn everything off, then unplug everything, then wait a good 10 minutes, and even then I'd be as careful as possible. 

I expect this might be unnecessary, but it's how I would react regardless. 

I get the feeling you were the kid going after the electrical outlet with a fork... 

Thank God your parents kept an eye on you. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

I get the feeling you were the kid going after the electrical outlet with a fork... 

Thank God your parents kept an eye on you. 

But I used a disposable fork so close enough. lmao

12 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Isn't it counter intuitive, at a fundamental level, to put your hands inside a powered electrical device?

maybe. regardless a lot of people do this, maybe even "unconsciously".

often it's to check fans or whatever. yes you shouldn't do it, a lot of people who build PCs however do this.

that said I think one should really just touch plastic parts if possible tho.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

then wait a good 10 minutes, and even then I'd be as careful as possible. 

pro tip: if you press the power button for 10 seconds after you unplugged the power cable the components inside discharge  so no need to wait 10 or whatever minutes.

(you can still get electrostatic discharge, but that's something different)

Also do not work on a PC in a room with carpet (bad idea) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

pro tip: if you press the power button for 10 seconds after you unplugged the power cable the components inside discharge  so no need to wait 10 or whatever minutes.

(you can still get electrostatic discharge, but that's something different)

Also do not work on a PC in a room with carpet (bad idea) 

It's just my cautious nature.

I've always waited a little while thinking there could still be some residual power left in the components for a short while afterwards. 

Glad to hear it's safe to do stuff sooner than that.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

maybe. regardless a lot of people do this, maybe even "unconsciously".

often it's to check fans or whatever. yes you shouldn't do it, a lot of people who build PCs however do this.

that said I think one should really just touch plastic parts if possible tho.

I'd just be so paranoid messing about with something that was switched on and fully powered up.