Can I simply upgrade?

PCNoob1

Hello all!

I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard and am currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, with a 2060 super. If I were to upgrade to a 3070, would I be able to do so cleanly? Aka, can I just take out the 2060s and plug in the 3070 or will I need a new motherboard and or CPU. Sorry in advance, I am brand new to pc's and my friends basically built my entire system besides the motherboard, I did that part. 

1 minute ago, PCNoob1 said:

Hello all!

I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard and am currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, with a 2060 super. If I were to upgrade to a 3070, would I be able to do so cleanly? Aka, can I just take out the 2060s and plug in the 3070 or will I need a new motherboard and or CPU. Sorry in advance, I am brand new to pc's and my friends basically built my entire system besides the motherboard, I did that part. 

just swap cards, install new drivers all good to go.  No need to swap anything else out

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Just now, PCNoob1 said:

I'm gonna go with "yeah probably", because while those parts you mentioned would be fine with an RTX 3070, I would have to know what PSU you have to fully confirm it.

Plus, the card needs to fit in the case too; so it depends on what specific card you choose and what case you have.

So in short, please mention the PSU you have, so we can confirm that will work and double-check the size of the card you're choosing and see if that fits in your case.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, xdeathshot20 said:

just swap cards, install new drivers all good to go.  No need to swap anything else out

Would I be at risk of a bottleneck on the GPU?

1 minute ago, minibois said:

I'm gonna go with "yeah probably", because while those parts you mentioned would be fine with an RTX 3070, I would have to know what PSU you have to fully confirm it.

Plus, the card needs to fit in the case too; so it depends on what specific card you choose and what case you have.

So in short, please mention the PSU you have, so we can confirm that will work and double-check the size of the card you're choosing and see if that fits in your case.

I have only a 600 PSU and my case is a NZXT mid tower case, the exact model escapes me 

2 minutes ago, PCNoob1 said:

I have only a 600 PSU

can we get more details of it, company and model

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, PCNoob1 said:

I have only a 600 PSU and my case is a NZXT mid tower case, the exact model escapes me 

The case will likely be fine. A H500 or H510 has plenty of room for even the largest videocards.

The PSU I would need to know a specific model though.

Nvidia of course mentions 650W as their recommended amount in a PSU; but there are also different tiers of PSU's, depending on their internal quality. 

The RTX 3070 is not out yet, but since it has a single 6+2 pin PCIE connector, I except a good quality 600W unit can run it, but again I would need to know a specific model to judge it in any way.

But even then, since the card is not out yet I can't say for sure if it will work anyways

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

can we get more details of it, company and model

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

The case will likely be fine. A H500 or H510 has plenty of room for even the largest videocards.

The PSU I would need to know a specific model though.

Nvidia of course mentions 650W as their recommended amount in a PSU; but there are also different tiers of PSU's, depending on their internal quality. 

The RTX 3070 is not out yet, but since it has a single 6+2 pin PCIE connector, I except a good quality 600W unit can run it, but again I would need to know a specific model to judge it in any way.

But even then, since the card is not out yet I can't say for sure if it will work anyways

I am not sure honestly, My friends picked it out for me since we needed a specific model to get the RGB on the cosair H100i CPU liquid cooler to work, I will just plan to upgrade to a higher PSU just in case 

43 minutes ago, PCNoob1 said:

I am not sure honestly, My friends picked it out for me since we needed a specific model to get the RGB on the cosair H100i CPU liquid cooler to work, I will just plan to upgrade to a higher PSU just in case 

You're looking at about $80 for the lowest end of what will work safely with that GPU, if you're bargain hunting for new PSUs.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms