Razers new Mechanical Switch

ValdemarBonde

I think Razer just did this so that they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees to cherry for using their switch.  Also wouldn't a higher activation point be worse for double tapping?

A8-5500 + Asus F2 A85V-Pro + xfx 7870 ghz + 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X + CM Storm Scout 2

But their keyboards before had cherrys?

This looks quite gimmicky. All the gamers will get this for a more "trusty " weapon LOL. No, not the game but an actual LOL.

Buutt the stats are interesting and can't wait to try one out someday...

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Um reds are for gamers and so are browns

Says who?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

How do you know you're not a fan of something you have never even used?

because I'm already satisfied with the cherry switches. Have a g710+,a blackwidow, and a quickfie ultimate red. Don't really want to get a keyboard any more :P

TIL Razer has a new marketing campaign 

(new meaning rehash of ride League strat) 

It's like they don't even acknowledge other games exist.

My favorite part about their advertising was this:

Because you know thats totally true and the SteelSeries 7G hasnt been around since at least 2008 if not earlier.

There is also this nugget I found on Facebook:

You know because switches need to be made for gaming right guys. ;) I mean its not like Cherry has been making the MX switch for longer than razer has been around and they have been using in industrial and enterprise applications that are many times more demanding than gaming or anything, right?

its a knock off switch since they lost their patent

Its actually a higher actuation point by 0.1mm and apparently they reset quicker.

You can game on any switch is all personal preference.

That will go up and theyll make more because these will now be made in china by them but they can charge more since their now "gaming" mechanical switches

nope designed by razer made by their factories

higher unless you meant lower = shorter

Its a knockoff of a cherry that they are going to produce themselves since cherry lost the patent but yes it is modeled off of a cherry switch because they wanted the same thing but couldnt do that so they modified it just enough to be different.

I have some :D

Basically all their mechanical boards are getting these instead from what I can tell, likely because it cheaper for them. there was kinda hinting on facebook that there may be more models that feature them also.

Something tells me you're from geekhack also? If so who are you :P?

They are the lightest MX keyswitch 

The lightness of a keyswitch has nothing to do with it. Tactility, click, and other things play a part in it also. Plus there is no 'gaming' switch. Hell, people use topre for gaming and be great.

as long as they have a tactile bump

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The fanboys must be screaming with joy, ill still wait for the corsair kb though.

I'm a Razer Fan boy, nope I didn't :P

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

When you look at top tier starcraft players who punch in close to 250,000 keystrokes a day across their keyboard, just during practice, that would make a huge difference. The reason most of the starcraft community switched over the mechanical keyboards was because rubber domes were pretty much disposable

Evidence? Link? All I find when googling is information regarding APM. 250,000 total keystrokes even for pro gamers seems a bit exaggerated. Usually their APM is recorded which includes mouse commands, I've never read anything regarding their daily keystrokes, especially an average peak single daily keystroke, which would actually be useful for data. Each individual key switch is rated for the 20-60 million keystroke, not all of the key switches combined. The 60 million keystroke endurance life may be more appropriate for professional gamers, but an average customer (typist, casual/semi-hardcore gamer) wouldn't ever reach the 20 million keystroke life regardless, who they are actually trying to sell these products to.

I think this is great! I personally thinks it drives cherry to make new switches or make the existing ones better. Which they already are because of the RGB mechanical switches coming out. 

I don't like Razer, mainly because they tent to over price things and because i hate how they shove the color green down our throat. i don't like green, and the fact that almost all their product have green in them makes me not want to buy. I wouldn't consider these new switches until Razer came out with RGB switches like cherry. I hate being forced to use on ecolor, I like to switch things up, that's why I have a white led backlit keybaord. It's a neutral color and it matches everything. I can't wait for the new RGB switches to be released. 

That being said, I would't mind trying razers new switches. They seem like they could out preform a cherry mx switch. But we will have to wait and see. 

They are the lightest MX keyswitch 

And? Switch types are about preference, they're not designed for anything specific other than typing. Cherry switched probably pre-date most 'gaming' branded keyboards anyway.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

There are just a chinese brand (Kailh) and cheaper alternative then Cherry MX Switches and also lower quality... 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

The amount of marketing hokum in that video makes my skin crawl. This is why I detest Razer.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

The amount of marketing hokum in that video makes my skin crawl. This is why I detest Razer.

I actually didn't watch it past "pioneered the first gaming mechanical keyboard"

Apparently their sponsored players have already been using the switches for the past year.

Meh, it's another marketing gag to sell rebranded Kalith (or something) switches. Besides the fact that 0.3mm won't make any difference because one cannot control in such a precise manner especially while gaming, the proplayers interviewed are sponsored by Razer .If Razer tells them to dance, they will. So you can't put much weight into what every they uttered about the keyboard.

I'm not saying the switches are inherently bad, I'm just saying that Cherry has been producing there things like forever now [For a patent to run out in Germany it takes 20 or 30 years]. And some random chinese factory will not match that, especially when produced cheaper and so on.

What I meant to say was that there is no point in the existance of these switches unless the cost 1/2 of Cherry Switches, which for Razer they surely do (probably even less) but they keyboard still is a Ducky + a premium. So there really is no point in their existance, especially at a Razer pricepoint.

What I was actually refering to was all the kids going apeshit everytime Razer releases something new.

And most of the Koreans at GSL and the likes have been using Ducky keyboards from what I could tell.

And Ducky still has the kind of achievment linked to it if you can get a hold of it. At least outside of the US they're not that easy to find :D

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I've been a fan of Razer and the Blackwidows for a while.  I've owned both iterations and never regretted purchasing them.  So, I think it's at least worth it to try these new switches out and see if they live up to the expectations.

4930k @ 4.0 GHz - Rampage IV Black - 16GB Dominator Platnium 1600 Cas 8 - 2x 780TI Classified SLI - 640 GT - Xonar Pheobus - 2x 128GB 840 Pro RAID 0 - 250GB 840 EVO - Live Gamer HD - AX1200i - COSMOS II - H100i - 4x SP120 - 4x AF120 - AF140 - 3x U3014 - Blackwidow Ultimate - Naga - Mouse Bungee - Manticor - 2x Sabertooth - Atrox - T500RS - TH8RS - Tiamat 7.1 - SP2500 - c920 - Smart-UPS SMT1500

personally I have thought cherries did press to far down

Um reds are for gamers and so are browns 

tactile switches are known for typing while linear switches are known to be use for gaming because of reset times for double tapping and multiple taps

$$金Trill金$$

is it a cherry switch or a razer switch?

Looks like a modded cherry switch to make it more optimized for gaming.

i7-5930K | Asus Rampage V Extreme | Crucial DDR4 4x4gb 2400MHz | Gigabyte 780 Windforce | Define R4 | XFX 1250w | Samsung EVO500gb

Evidence? Link? All I find when googling is information regarding APM. 250,000 total keystrokes even for pro gamers seems a bit exaggerated. Usually their APM is recorded which includes mouse commands, I've never read anything regarding their daily keystrokes, especially an average peak single daily keystroke, which would actually be useful for data. Each individual key switch is rated for the 20-60 million keystroke, not all of the key switches combined. The 60 million keystroke endurance life may be more appropriate for professional gamers, but an average customer (typist, casual/semi-hardcore gamer) wouldn't ever reach the 20 million keystroke life regardless, who they are actually trying to sell these products to.

Exact numbers are nigh on impossible to show dude, each set of actions is going to vary on a game by game basis. I'm not saying it's necessary, and by all means it's not, but if they are a little more durable than MX switches, it's not exactly a bad thing, asssuming they can sell it at an attractive price point.

Meh, it's another marketing gag to sell rebranded Kalith (or something) switches. Besides the fact that 0.3mm won't make any difference because one cannot control in such a precise manner especially while gaming, the proplayers interviewed are sponsored by Razer .If Razer tells them to dance, they will. So you can't put much weight into what every they uttered about the keyboard.

I'm not saying the switches are inherently bad, I'm just saying that Cherry has been producing there things like forever now [For a patent to run out in Germany it takes 20 or 30 years]. And some random chinese factory will not match that, especially when produced cheaper and so on.

What I meant to say was that there is no point in the existance of these switches unless the cost 1/2 of Cherry Switches, which for Razer they surely do (probably even less) but they keyboard still is a Ducky + a premium. So there really is no point in their existance, especially at a Razer pricepoint.

What I was actually refering to was all the kids going apeshit everytime Razer releases something new.

And most of the Koreans at GSL and the likes have been using Ducky keyboards from what I could tell.

And Ducky still has the kind of achievment linked to it if you can get a hold of it. At least outside of the US they're not that easy to find  :D

There are videos of Flash kicking around using a Razer keyboard. Filco, Leopold and Zowie seem to be the most common near as I can tell. There's an imgur album kicking around showing a whole bunch of player setups. That could come down to availability in that area though. Edit: EG all use Razer keyboards, so do Team Liquid. But again, sponsorship

Also, pricing talk. Never, buy from the Razer store. The Blackwidow Tournament 2013 was $129 from them vs. $80 from PC Case Gear, who are one of the more competitive sellers here in Aus.

Again, I'm going to wait and see before jumping on the anti-razer/pro-razer bandwagon. I personally haven't had problems in the past, people I know who own razer stuff haven't had problems with their gear in the past (Including someone who spilt most of a can of coke right into his blackwidow).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

"We pioneered the very first mechanical gaming keyboard" Seriously Razer?....

I'll stick with my MX Browns... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

personally I have thought cherries did press to far down

O-rings, friend.

And I lol at what they say on the info page, infact almost splatted all my water on my Ducky. I bet there's gonna be even more problems with the black widow than before. But my cousin, who had the BW since around mid 2012 (about 2 years), has had little-no problems which surprised me. But no cherrys for me, waiting for the right time to get my 87U (or the Novatouch) :D

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

"We pioneered the very first mechanical gaming keyboard" Seriously Razer?....

I'll stick with my MX Browns... 

Razer does everything  the "world's first" product. I don't like this, but i guess it's marketing and it's working pretty good for them...