Razers new Mechanical Switch

ValdemarBonde

But... can they make it lower?

They're basically just following Cherry's recipe, and being more strict on tolerances, but I'd like to see them take it to new places.. like lower depth/profile on the switches, swappable springs for customizable resistance, and of course a wide selection of keycaps for them!

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

I want more nice flat keyboards, laptop style. So much nicer to type on, and less mistakes than gigantic keys.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I don't know about Razer. Their products are soo epensive for no real reason. I can understand why a Logitech G19 is expensive and that's because it has a full color LCD display that shows my stats in any game, watch youtube videos on it, check my pcs ram and cpu usage and more.

I was correcting Ninja who was trying to correct the image, if you noticed that I quoted him, who said that standard keyboards have a life of up to 20 million, not 50 million. But the image clearly showed 20 million, so I had no idea where he got the 50 million from.

Also how are they even using it improperly? They performed tests, and the results showed that the new switch has three times the endurance life of the previous switch. That's somewhat significant on a sales standpoint (though not really as I doubt anyone could reach the endurance life of the average 20 million keystrokes in one lifetime, let-alone 60 million), it would actually take you 111 years to reach the 20 million endurance life of a single key switch if you were to press it 500 times a day - compared to 333 years for the 60 million endurance life, but is still something I would mention if I was trying to sell a product that undergoes heavy use as it looks like a significant improvement to the average customer.

50 million is what is normally advertised for cherry switches even though its only partially correct.

But... can they make it lower?

They're basically just following Cherry's recipe, and being more strict on tolerances, but I'd like to see them take it to new places.. like lower depth/profile on the switches, swappable springs for customizable resistance, and of course a wide selection of keycaps for them!

Cherry alredy makes lower ones and no one likes them. You can swap the springs in the MX switch and they already have a slew of keycap choices available.

I want more nice flat keyboards, laptop style. So much nicer to type on, and less mistakes than gigantic keys.

so chiclet keyboards? razer has at least one of those and logitech has quite a few. I really hope that wasnt a troll post I just answered BTW.

I don't know about Razer. Their products are soo epensive for no real reason. I can understand why a Logitech G19 is expensive and that's because it has a full color LCD display that shows my stats in any game, watch youtube videos on it, check my pcs ram and cpu usage and more.

G19 is a rubber dome...

allways affraid of a new razer product, I was a razer fanboy before i started realising that the durability of their stuff was not what i expected. Now the only two razer products i have are the mouse and keyboard surfaces xD, they work pretty well.

In therms of differences, is that huge the one between mech keyboards and membrane ones? (Talking obbiously in therms of confort, performance, durability... the price difference is obbious)

Membrane starts from like 10$. Mechanical start from like $70. Razer Mechanical will start at what? $140? It would only be good if it was cheap, but its razer...

Check their pages.

they start at 100$

Also,this helps : 

tI9Zye3.png

It's a slightly different Cherry switch.

Actuation Point/Actuation vs Reset Point - Basically says the same thing that there would be a 0.3mm difference between a standard mechanical switch (Cherry MX has 0.4mm). I bet only a few or maybe even no one would notice this difference between this and Cherry MXs.

Life Span - Cherry MXs says that they go up to 50 million. Razer's got up to 60 million. That's nice.

Actuation Force - So it's gonna feel like its Cherry MX blues? ("with optimized tactile feel" - lol marketing)

Comparing it the Cherry MX cause' it's the most common.

Good enough.

"trust my gaming keyboard"

facepalm_227785.jpg

you would say the same when they pay you xxx.xxx lol

These are not Cherry MX Switches.

RAZER did not "make" these switches either. They simply had Kailh OEM the switches and place a Razer logo instead of "Kailh". Be prepared for crappy quality plastics used in these stems. Kailh switches have a notorious track record of manufacturing brittle stems.

I find it ironic how RAZER claims to have made the "first" _Elite_ gaming mechanical keyboard, and now they're saying that Cherry switches aren't meant for "Gaming", completely bashing their BW line of KBs.

Lower manufacturing costs = more money in RAZER's pockets = more money spent on advertising their "gaming" KBs.

Their point went WAAAAAAAAAAY over your head...

way over.

I only bought a blackwidow because it was on sale and was the cheapest mx blue keyboard I could find :P.  Still, these switches better be uniqe.  If they are like reds, not interested...  if they are like browns, not interested... if they are like blues, not interested... if they are like mebrane, not interested...  but if they are like no other key switch and totally different, I might be interested...

we pioneered the first mechanical gaming keyboard

You mean you were the first to take a typical mechanical keyboard which have been around for decades. put the words "GAMING!!!!!!OMFG" on the box and add $100 to the price tag? cool

the switch used was always designed for typing, not for gaming

Because you chose to outfit it with cherry BLUE switches instead of brown. presumably because the clickyness made it easier to show the difference from rubber keyboards to uninformed plebs. so they would buy your overpriced, underspecced, ugly, poor-build-quality keyboards.

adding a higher actuation point to a cherry blue switch doesnt make it a "gaming" switch. Razer are a joke.

Doesn't sound interesting to me anyways. First because I never found any Razer product that was build to last and second is I game with MX Blacks and there aren't many gaming Keyboards with Blacks around.

corsair carbide 400r|AMD FX-6300 4,8GHz @ 1,47V|NVidia GTX480 850/2100MHz @ 1150mV|Kingston Low Profile Value Ram 8GB 1333|Samsung 840 Series SSD 120GB|Seagate 2TB HD|WD 2TB HD|WD 750GB HD

Phobya DC12-400|Phobya G-Changer 240 top|Thermaltake 120mm bottom|Phobya Balancer 150 black nickel|aqua computer cuplex kryos hf|watercool Heatkiller GPU-X³

whats "oh top fucking kek"

It's a stupid 4chan way of saying "LoL" Laugh out Loud. top lol where lol=kek

kekeke being reference to a japanese laugh onomatopoeia in katakana.

Its a unintellegeble 4chaner's way of saying "I'm laughing out loud really hard."

You mean you were the first to take a typical mechanical keyboard which have been around for decades. put the words "GAMING!!!!!!OMFG" on the box and add $100 to the price tag? cool

Because you chose to outfit it with cherry BLUE switches instead of brown. presumably because the clickyness made it easier to show the difference from rubber keyboards to uninformed plebs. so they would buy your overpriced, underspecced, ugly, poor-build-quality keyboards.

adding a higher actuation point to a cherry blue switch doesnt make it a "gaming" switch. Razer are a joke.

they said "mechanical GAMING keyboard." Meaning they designed the product for gamers.

they didnt say "we pioneered the mechanical keyboard. Yes its marketing but don't miss quote them.

Every time I see "for gamerz" type products, I don't feel like there's really much being changed and it's not all that worth it over mainstream hardware. It seems like it's more of a whirlpool to trap the suckers with too much to spend than an actual effort to optimize the user experience.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

so chiclet keyboards? razer has at least one of those and logitech has quite a few. I really hope that wasnt a troll post I just answered BTW.

Not at all, I've been using flat keys for ages. Using an old dinovo keyboard right now. The entire thing is only 1 cm tall, which is really nice for the wrists. The dinovo is tenkeyless, but the razer is not. The logitech k810 is almost perfect, but has not home/end pgup/down buttons. And that really is unacceptable, considering some software require those keys.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Cherry alredy makes lower ones and no one likes them. You can swap the springs in the MX switch and they already have a slew of keycap choices available.

1. They make some low profile ones, yes, but those are limited to certain styles of keyboards that Cherry makes, which is why they are not popular, if they were put in to keyboards of other styles than media-boards.. they could possibly be popular.

2. You can swap springs, but it's not exactly quick-swap, having to more or less totally dismantle your whole keyboard. I was thinking more or less along the lines of something quick and easy. But, it's not a necessity.

3. Keycap choices are not as available as you'd think. Yes, there are custom manufacturing of such, but they're mostly limited to U.S and UK markets, and there's no "standard" within the layouts of the switch placement in the boards, so different boards have different mounting-points and such.. which results in keycaps being incompatible with different boards. If they made their own line-up of boards, with keycaps of different styles/depths available for order (or just a pre-made selection of the same boards, just with they different styles/depths).. they could effectively make something extremely marketable, via removing the step of having to fine that one niche site on the web, that has those specific caps you may want for your board.

Standardizing is always good, and Razer of all companies would understand that!

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

When gaming laptops meats the ergonomics of the Microsoft Keyboard 4000... That is when I will hold an interest in getting a different keyboard. 
Untill then i like the Microsoft Keyboard 4000. Any other keyboard causes cramps, carpel issues etc etc. 

Things about a keyboard to me. 
Wrist comfortablity
The arch of the MS Keyboard 4000
ergonomics.
the switches to be easier on the fingertips. 

I must say tho, this is interesing. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

Yay, razer developing another thing noone needs.

I can already see all the proplayers yell

Such Errwmagawd.

Much pro.

Wow.

Apparently their sponsored players have already been using the switches for the past year.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

they said "mechanical GAMING keyboard." Meaning they designed the product for gamers.

they didnt say "we pioneered the mechanical keyboard. Yes its marketing but don't miss quote them.

how the hell did i misquote them? read my quote again.

It's a stupid 4chan way of saying "LoL" Laugh out Loud. top lol where lol=kek

kekeke being reference to a japanese laugh onomatopoeia in katakana.

Its a unintellegeble 4chaner's way of saying "I'm laughing out loud really hard."

lol=kek comes from world of warcraft and has nothing to do with japanese or 4chan. calm down.

50 million is what is normally advertised for cherry switches even though its only partially correct.

They're both using marketing tactics, but I know what you mean. They do say "up to 60 million," though, but it would be more fair to compare the 60 million to a 50 million, as the life span varies with each key switch. Regardless, whether it's 20, 50, 60 it makes hardly any difference as it's highly unlikely that someone will ever reach the endurance life of their key switch.

People are saying it will be "over priced" but think about this. If razer is making the key switch in house, they no longer have to pay cherry to use their switch, this means less money up front, this means that for $120 the black widow can have a better build quality. Or they could sell it for $90 and it'd still be a great keyboard for the price. IDK why so many people hate razer, maybe it's the hipster effect that "If it's mainstream it's bad". But I still have a razer tarantula and it's laster for years with no wear and no breaking, never RMA, never even had to call support to see if I had to send it in. People like to jump to conclusions over a company and that's wrong. Think of it like this, the Corsair K70 is a $120 keyborad, but all it is, is an aluminum shell with a PCb from filco. CMstorm is a plastic/aluminum shell with a steel back plate with filco PCB, razer is a plastic shell with a steel back plate and a filco PCB. Razer has special lighting, corsair has their new RGB that will most defiantly be a $200 keyboard just based off the amount of money they have put into it. CMStorm, they have all of it, but the RGB and they are cheap. Why are people still buying corsair then? Looks? Maybe that's a good selling point for razer? People hate on them for no real reason, some do have a reason, maybe bad luck, maybe they just didn't like the feel of their keyboard. I am not one to say it's wrong to have those opinions, but to the ones who hate razer without ever even touching a product from them. Or maybe you have, maybe you have/had a mouse. That doesn't mean you hate their keyboards, just for not liking the mice. That's stupid. Lets all stop, take a breath, and see how it goes. Maybe these are what will replace cherry as the next MX Switch, maybe these are the next big thing, we don't know yet.