Razers new Mechanical Switch

ValdemarBonde

i dont see how it would be more expensive than another razer keyboard, so it may be a viable option 

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

Razer is always awesome, but I hope they pay more quality control attention on their products.

Exactly this.  My friends and I have had such a poor experience with the durability of their products.  To others, they seem to be great.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

Also,this helps : 

tI9Zye3.png

It's a slightly different Cherry switch.

trust meh no one really wants greens even when they are mechanical ones >_> i have them in my cm storm stealth its descent but i should have chosen something like blues not reds or browns >_> but greens are quite expensive out of the lot

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

No thanks, I will stick with Cherry.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Exactly this.  My friends and I have had such a poor experience with the durability of their products.  To others, they seem to be great.

That's why I choose QuickFire TK even though I have Razer Deathadder and Kraken. I hope they increase their quality. Cause didn't have full set Razer peripherals still bother me xD

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

see the thing is, its not like this keyboard will make you better like all the hype is about, its about what feels right to you , i wanted a backlit keyboard with cherry blues, and i didnt feel like ordering online so the blackwidow ultimate was the easiest thing for me to get. when this one breaks ill consider a ducky probably but there is no way i can go back to a membrane keyboard

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

i dont see how it would be more expensive than another razer keyboard, so it may be a viable option 

It's already available for pre-order, and they didn't increase the price at all. Not sure if retailers will follow though 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Also,this helps : 

tI9Zye3.png

looks good can't wait t to try one

I wonder how it would feel for typing though. As a consumer I'm not gonna buy a keyboard for gaming and another for typing. I'd much rather have one all around keyboard. I'm just not quite sold here.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I still find it funny when people (and I mean consumers, not pro gamers who get their stuff for free anyways) think that some random statistic being 0.05 smaller than competition will make them the SUPER ULTIMATE GAMING FOR AWESOME EPIC WIN GAMER. Anyways, it does look interesting and I'm looking forward to reviews from a non-gamer standpoint. I'm mostly curious on how the typing feels.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I still find it funny when people (and I mean consumers, not pro gamers who get their stuff for free anyways) think that some random statistic being 0.05 smaller than competition will make them the SUPER ULTIMATE GAMING FOR AWESOME EPIC WIN GAMER. Anyways, it does look interesting and I'm looking forward to reviews from a non-gamer standpoint. I'm mostly curious on how the typing feels.

a shorter key stroke would mean more actions per minute for most gamers.

I completely agree with you man. Such a small difference might not make a product 1000X better. And as a consumer, as I said before, I want to know how it feels while I'm not using it for gaming.

P.S. Love your profile pic ;) WHOVIANS ARE AWESOME!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Also,this helps : 

so.... its a brown with a higher activation point

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

lol just imagine how many shitty cherry knock offs like this are going to spawn because of Cherry losing their patent.

no thanks

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

So MX blues with lower actuation point?

Higher actuation point. 

trust meh no one really wants greens even when they are mechanical ones >_> i have them in my cm storm stealth its descent but i should have chosen something like blues not reds or browns >_> but greens are quite expensive out of the lot

these aren't standard greens though, that's why they're listed as being "Razer Greens". They're actuation force is closer to blues, with a higher actuation point. 

My favorite part about their advertising was this:

Razer_Mechanical_Switches_for_Gaming_Key

Because you know thats totally true and the SteelSeries 7G hasnt been around since at least 2008 if not earlier.

There is also this nugget I found on Facebook:

All-new_Razertrade_Mechanical_Switches_o

You know because switches need to be made for gaming right guys. ;) I mean its not like Cherry has been making the MX switch for longer than razer has been around and they have been using in industrial and enterprise applications that are many times more demanding than gaming or anything, right?

is it a cherry switch or a razer switch?

its a knock off switch since they lost their patent

Hmmmm.. I went through roughly, it seems like Razer switches have lower actuation points than normal cherries..

I wonder how different it feels O.o

Its actually a higher actuation point by 0.1mm and apparently they reset quicker.

Um reds are for gamers and so are browns

You can game on any switch is all personal preference.

Blackwidow tournament edition (no backlight, tenkeyless) is $80

That will go up and theyll make more because these will now be made in china by them but they can charge more since their now "gaming" mechanical switches

Probably designed by razor and made my cherry

nope designed by razer made by their factories

So MX blues with lower actuation point?

higher unless you meant lower = shorter

Also,this helps : 

tI9Zye3.png

Its a knockoff of a cherry that they are going to produce themselves since cherry lost the patent but yes it is modeled off of a cherry switch because they wanted the same thing but couldnt do that so they modified it just enough to be different.

I want full metal keys

I have some :D

IMG_1533.jpg

Seems pretty interesting then. Are they making new keyboards for these? Or is it still going to be Black Widow?

Basically all their mechanical boards are getting these instead from what I can tell, likely because it cheaper for them. there was kinda hinting on facebook that there may be more models that feature them also.

Most gamers I've seen seem to press close enough to bottom out so I really don't see the big improvement. I'd love to see blind tests on gamers. Personally, I don't think most will notice it. As I said, if anything, this might be interesting from a typing point of view.

I completely agree with you man. Such a small difference might not make a product 1000X better. And as a consumer, as I said before, I want to know how it feels while I'm not using it for gaming.

P.S. Love your profile pic ;) WHOVIANS ARE AWESOME!

Thanks man! Trekkies get love too :)

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I'm still getting used to the 2mm of my TK because it sometimes register without me being notice it, and theirs is shorter, lol

yes by 0.1mm

It will be cheaper for them to make since they are making the switch but they wil charge more since they are "gaming switches".

these are not normal Cherry Green, they are razer green which are modified blues.

No thanks, I will stick with Cherry.

im with you there, ill take the german manufacturing any day

I wonder how it would feel for typing though. As a consumer I'm not gonna buy a keyboard for gaming and another for typing. I'd much rather have one all around keyboard. I'm just not quite sold here.

They will be fine and it looks like slightly modified blues and browns.

Can you do a 0.05mm keystroke? I can tell the difference likely but to be able to utilize that over 0.1mm for double tapping or riding the actuation point I really think not.

so.... its a brown with a higher activation point

yep they should have went clears wither ergo or panda, then they would have seen sales!

lol just imagine how many shitty cherry knock offs like this are going to spawn because of Cherry losing their patent.

no thanks

doesnt thermaltake or someone have some too?

Most gamers I've seen seem to press close enough to bottom out so I really don't see the big improvement. I'd love to see blind tests on gamers. Personally, I don't think most will notice it. As I said, if anything, this might be interesting from a typing point of view.

Thanks man! Trekkies get love too :)

That cause they use reds and browns which offer little to no resistance and the tactile bump on a brown is barely noticeable on a brown unless your looking for it.

That will go up and theyll make more because these will now be made in china by them but they can charge more since their now "gaming" mechanical switches

As of now, you can already pre-order it, form what I've seen, they hasn't increase the price yet

As of now, you can already pre-order it, form what I've seen, they hasn't increase the price yet

yes you said that. well, they could have but i guess thy are making enough extra margin already

Yeah, they did bottom it out so am I, but if I double tap 2 buttons at once, I didn't bottom it out cause it's faster. Somehow it's quite hard not to bottom out while double tab one button only.  But you are right, it barely make any difference. 

yes you said that. well, they could have but i guess thy are making enough extra margin already

I think so, they increased the price of Deathadder when they released the 2013 version.

That cause they use reds and browns which offer little to no resistance and the tactile bump on a brown is barely noticeable on a brown unless your looking for it.

Well Razer has always used Blues before, and tactile feedback or not I just don't think in the thrill of a game any gamer will be trying to apply the exact force to just actuate the switch :P

But I might be mistaken