To get the 3090 or not to?

TJPC

I really want to upgrade to the 3090 ASAP but I'm afraid I'll buy it then in December or sometime soon-ish NVIDIA will release a 3090TI or 3095 and Ill regret getting the 3090, I don't want the full Titan I want the one just below it and in most cases its the TI version of that generation of card....

Thoughts? 

I have a 980TI now 

AMD 1800X Water Cool H80i 48GB Ram 980ti EVGA ACX2.0 M.2 (Samsung 950Pro) 1TB Samsung 850 OS:MSX

Nah man, its a developer card that is $1400. Go for the 3080 for half the price and upgrade a year later when the 3080 super or ti comes out if you need more performance. 

They're not gonna shoot over the 3090. The 3090 replaced the 2080ti, which launched at the same time as the 2080. 

If there IS a card above the 3090, it wont be meant for gaming as Nvidia has sorta merged the "Titan" card into the 2080ti/3090 naming scheme. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Get it.

Or don't.

This has been my TED Talk.

8 minutes ago, TJPC said:

I don't want the full Titan I want the one just below it

but why? shouldn't you consider price as well? we don't even know ii there will be a titan, there were rumors that the 3090 is this generation's titan. That would make the 3080 the one below it. Also, the "Super" variants are likely gonna hit the scene at some point, some have theorized that they will replace the "TI" branding entirely.

But most importantly, why not just get the card that delivers the performance you want? Cause if you just get the "second best card" regardless of what that actually gets you, then why bother even deliberating over it?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I mean if you want to drop $1500 on a GPU be my guest, but I don't think they will release a higher performance card. Especially anytime soon.

1 minute ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I mean if you want to drop $1500 on a GPU be my guest, but I don't think they will release a higher performance card. Especially anytime soon.

This is what I'm looking for, I want almost the highest performance card for a long time lol like a year. Now to wait until they ship, I just do't want to get hosed if they release an even higher performance card soon, Titans always beat these cards I'm ok not having a titan I want the one just below the titan soooo 3090 it is I'm excited!! 

AMD 1800X Water Cool H80i 48GB Ram 980ti EVGA ACX2.0 M.2 (Samsung 950Pro) 1TB Samsung 850 OS:MSX

28 minutes ago, TJPC said:

I really want to upgrade to the 3090 ASAP but I'm afraid I'll buy it then in December or sometime soon-ish NVIDIA will release a 3090TI or 3095 and Ill regret getting the 3090, I don't want the full Titan I want the one just below it and in most cases its the TI version of that generation of card....

Thoughts? 

I have a 980TI now 

they said its their top enthusiast level 30 series card like the titan rtx (although the 2080 ti was also enthusiast level)

as far as i know, titan cards are only replaced by a next gen titan, as well as Ti cards. this beast can run games at 8k 60fps

i know think nvidia will bother making a rev 2.0 (like they did with super series) since there is no need and nobody uses 8k 144hz+ monitors (if they even exist)

based on your signature: dont bother getting a 3090 if youll still use your 4790k.

its a legendary cpu but it also has its limits.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

It appeared to me that Nvidia underestimated the top end of the market with Titan cards and as such "created" the 3090.  I get the impression that part of the reason for the name change is so that they can do their normal Ti or Super edition of the card.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It'll be interesting to see if the 3080 is enough for 4k120.

My recommendation: wait for benchmarks.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

Above all: Wait for benchmarks.  But I'd say you're better off with a 3080 or the eventual 3080Ti

29 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

They're not gonna shoot over the 3090. The 3090 replaced the 2080ti, which launched at the same time as the 2080. 

If there IS a card above the 3090, it wont be meant for gaming as Nvidia has sorta merged the "Titan" card into the 2080ti/3090 naming scheme. 

There’s some question as to whether the 3090 is a titan or a Ti. Price point is Titan level.  My self I’m not paying more than $400 for a graphics card because at that point renting time on a mainframe becomes cheaper over the life of the card.  If a $400 card can’t do better than a rental mainframe the mainframe is still cheaper.

I might still buy an NVIDIA card but imho doing so before the consoles and big Navi comes out is a big gamble.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s some question as to whether the 3090 is a titan or a Ti. Price point is Titan level.  My self I’m not paying more than $400 for a graphics card because at that point renting time on a mainframe becomes cheaper over the life of the card.  If a $400 card can’t do better than a rental mainframe the mainframe is still cheaper.

I might still buy an NVIDIA card but imho doing so before the consoles and big Navi comes out is a big gamble.

I love seeing the use of the term "mainframe".  The other day I was asking myself why we don't use it anymore.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

I love seeing the use of the term "mainframe".  The other day I was asking myself why we don't use it anymore.  

I like “mainframe” and “big iron” myself.  They tried to replace it with “cloud” which imho is both misleading and stupid.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

46 minutes ago, TJPC said:

Thoughts? 

I have a 980TI now 

from my knowledge nvidia right now still has only released a rtx3080 and rtx3070, still unsure if there will be a rtx3090 or when, also when the rtx3080 ti will come out. id say just about christmas time either just before or just after there will be another card released 

15 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

from my knowledge nvidia right now still has only released a rtx3080 and rtx3070, still unsure if there will be a rtx3090 or when, also when the rtx3080 ti will come out. id say just about christmas time either just before or just after there will be another card released 

Did you not watch the Nvidia announcement today?

3 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

I’ve seen only the rx3090 with references to the 3080.  I’ve seen almost nothing on the 3070 at all.  The 3070 is supposed to us a 104 gpu instead of a 102.  The 101 gpu is the enterprise one that gets put in gigantic cards that take up whole racks by themselves.  That one is guaranteed to be TSMC 7nm. I still don’t know if 102 is guaranteed to be TSMC 7nm or not.  They’ve GOT a few TSMC 7nm chips in both 102 and 104.  Samples. 102 may be production TSMC 7nm. If it IS both the 3090 and 3080 could use it. It’s not impossible they’ve got enough TSMC 102s to do 3090s but not 3080s. 
Whats highly unusual is only PART of the 30xx series is going to be TSMC. The rest is Samsung.  So two different fabs rather than the more normal 1 fab.  It was referred to as 7nm vs. 8nm but the Samsung 8nm process may have been renamed 7nm so it’s all confused.  The Samsung chips are projected to be not quite as good but no one knows if or how much.  What the break point is, and how much difference there will be has not been made clear.  Also, it is possible the company may be benchmarking TSMC 7nm chips but shipping Samsung ones.   It’s all very murky. 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Did you not watch the Nvidia announcement today?

It’s out already?

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I’ve seen only the rx3090 with references to the 3080.  I’ve seen almost nothing on the 3070 at all.  The 3070 is supposed to us a 104 gpu instead of a 102.  The 101 gpu is the enterprise one that gets put in gigantic cards that take up whole racks by themselves.  That one is guaranteed to be TSMC 7nm. I still don’t know if 102 is guaranteed to be TSMC 7nm or not.  They’ve GOT a few TSMC 7nm chips in both 102 and 104.  Samples. 102 may be production TSMC 7nm. If it IS both the 3090 and 3080 could use it. It’s not impossible they’ve got enough TSMC 102s to do 3090s but not 3080s. 
Whats highly unusual is only PART of the 30xx series is going to be TSMC. The rest is Samsung.  So two different fabs rather than the more normal 1 fab.  It was referred to as 7nm vs. 8nm but the Samsung 8nm process may have been renamed 7nm so it’s all confused.  The Samsung chips are projected to be not quite as good but no one knows if or how much.  What the break point is, and how much difference there will be has not been made clear.  Also, it is possible the company may be benchmarking TSMC 7nm chips but shipping Samsung ones.   It’s all very murky. 

so far the only thing that nvidia has officially released is a rtx3080 and a rtx3070 maybe you should watch the nvidia video which is 39 minutes long. personally i dont care if its 7nm or 100nm i care about real world performance and if they can get a 100nm chip to go faster than a 7nm then ill buy the faster card. also it seems as you are listening to alot of rumors and not actual facts like i said go watch the video it is the only thing nvidia has officially released everything else is "leaks" speculation and rumors none of with are completely reliable

7 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

so far the only thing that nvidia has officially released is a rtx3080 and a rtx3070 maybe you should watch the nvidia video which is 39 minutes long. personally i dont care if its 7nm or 100nm i care about real world performance and if they can get a 100nm chip to go faster than a 7nm then ill buy the faster card. also it seems as you are listening to alot of rumors and not actual facts like i said go watch the video it is the only thing nvidia has officially released everything else is "leaks" speculation and rumors none of with are completely reliable

Of course. NO ONE DOES.  I think I said that several times earlier in the thread.  Keep in mind this thread is days old.

The big question is if they’re showing what they’re shipping. Normally it’s not possible to do anything else.  This time it is so it’s murky. This the today (9/01) video?  I didn’t know it was out yet.  Rumors is all I’ve had available so far.  Watched the first 30 sec of the video but there seems to be something wrong with it.  It’s tiny. Might be how it was being done.  Some of it is known though because Nvidia verified those statements.  So far what I’ve got is  101 is 7nm TSMC.  there are TSMC samples down to 104 die. Samsung was hired to produce 30xx chips.  everything else is by definition conjecture. How much TSMC fab space they have is unknown.  Which CPUs will be Samsung is unknown.  If/how big the hit is going to be for a Samsung vs TSMC GPU is unknown.  They can show TSMC 7nm GPUs down to 104. If they show Samsung chips and bench then that’s fine 

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s out already?

Bruh.  BRUUUHHHHHHH.  

Also, Digital Foundry's has a 3080 with some comparison numbers against a 2080 on their channel.  Check it out. 

12 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

The video says they are using Samsung 8nm.  

And what do you mean by "released"?  They announced 3090 3080 3070 today.  

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

Bruh.  BRUUUHHHHHHH.  

Also, Digital Foundry's has a 3080 with some comparison numbers against a 2080 on their channel.  Check it out. 

Was that a farting noise?

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Was that a farting noise?

No it's what the kids say these days.