Editing Software

Gavienya

Hey LTT Forum goers. I was wondering which editing software i should use for 1080-4k video footage at 60-240 FPS for YouTube. I have been looking into Resolve 16 (because its free) but i don't know if getting the Adobe Suite is worth the cost for better quality than resolve if it even is.

5 minutes ago, Gavienya said:

Hey LTT Forum goers. I was wondering which editing software i should use for 1080-4k video footage at 60-240 FPS for YouTube. I have been looking into Resolve 16 (because its free) but i don't know if getting the Adobe Suite is worth the cost for better quality than resolve if it even is.

Personally I have been quite happy with Davinci Resolve, but I'm also not as much of a power user that I would miss the features Premiere has extra.

Ultimately it comes down to what you need in a video editing software; as it's still mostly about the artists and not the tool.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Resolve is your best free choice, personally wouldn't be looking into the adobe suite unless you literally can afford the cost.

Resolve is fantastic for the price (though I don't personally like its UI).

I use Kdenlive, which is a free and open source piece of software, but it struggles a bit with the higher resolutions (though these days it might cope with 4K, I'm not sure really)

Adobe Suite is a big commitment and I don't think if you're fairly new to this it's even an option.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

38 minutes ago, Gavienya said:

I personally use premiere pro and unless you need the extra feature set it's not worth the cost

Hopping on this thread, I was going to ask a similar question. I have access to a mac and a pc. Do I use iMovie or Resolve on the PC. (The PC is much much faster).

Mac Mini - I5-2400S with Intel graphics

PC- Ryzen 3900x with RTX 2070.

7 hours ago, Xa3phod said:

Hopping on this thread, I was going to ask a similar question. I have access to a mac and a pc. Do I use iMovie or Resolve on the PC. (The PC is much much faster).

Mac Mini - I5-2400S with Intel graphics

PC- Ryzen 3900x with RTX 2070.

Why would you even think using Mac Mini for editing? Also depends on what kind of stuff you edit. If its high fps/res like OP's, Mac Mini will crap itself as those require VRAM and juice to scrub/render.

@Gavienya, they are both very capable regardless of your source material. The question is, what you want end result to have. Like effects, color correction etc. Resolve free is still missing features that paid one has. I found this https://www.toolfarm.com/tutorial/in-depth-davinci-resolve-studio-vs-the-free-version/ to compare the two version of Resolve. Maybe check it or something else out to see if free is offering what you need, and if buying Adobe would become cheaper or otherwise better choice for your needs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Why would you even think using Mac Mini for editing?

Given how highly optimised iMovie in, it's almost certainly going to be perfectly usable on a Mac Mini. However it probably wouldn't be the best experience.

Don't forget these days you can edit 1080p30 on a midrange Windows laptop perfectly competently... I think you might be overestimating the resources needed for it these days.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Given how highly optimised iMovie in, it's almost certainly going to be perfectly usable on a Mac Mini. However it probably wouldn't be the best experience.

Don't forget these days you can edit 1080p30 on a midrange Windows laptop perfectly competently... I think you might be overestimating the resources needed for it these days.

You didn't read my post, but latched on me "hating" Mac Mini then. Read the post again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Gavienya said:

Real men use VirtualDub for editing their videos:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Kidding aside its very good software its not user friendly but it can do everything and its SUPER light. 

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Why would you even think using Mac Mini for editing? Also depends on what kind of stuff you edit. If its high fps/res like OP's, Mac Mini will crap itself as those require VRAM and juice to scrub/render.

@Gavienya, they are both very capable regardless of your source material. The question is, what you want end result to have. Like effects, color correction etc. Resolve free is still missing features that paid one has. I found this https://www.toolfarm.com/tutorial/in-depth-davinci-resolve-studio-vs-the-free-version/ to compare the two version of Resolve. Maybe check it or something else out to see if free is offering what you need, and if buying Adobe would become cheaper or otherwise better choice for your needs.

Thank you. I will check this out