How to install windows 10 on a laptop? Laptop with hdd caddy

Newblesse Obblige

Im going to upgrade my brother's laptop with a SSD as he complains that his laptop is very slow even though i added one more 4 gigs of RAM(now the total is 8GB). I purchased a hdd caddy so he will have SSD+HDD setup. what are the things I should do berfore installing windows into it? is the process the same as installing windows 10 on PC? becasue I already know how to install Windows 10 on a Desktop PC

2 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Im going to upgrade my brother's laptop with a SSD as he complains that his laptop is very slow even though i added one more 4 gigs of RAM(now the total is 8GB). I purchased a hdd caddy so he will have SSD+HDD setup. what are the things I should do berfore installing windows into it? is the process the same as installing windows 10 on PC? becasue I already know how to install Windows 10 on a Desktop PC

yes there are no differences between installing any OS onto a laptop as compared to a desktop

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

One note, do NOT connect the caddy with the hdd when you install windows. 

Windows has had this stupid "feature" since forever that it creates your bootloader on the second drive if its present.

Also you don't have to reinstall anything, you can use free partition software to clone his existing install to the SSD and then power off and swap the drive out.

2 hours ago, Lipe123 said:

One note, do NOT connect the caddy with the hdd when you install windows. 

Windows has had this stupid "feature" since forever that it creates your bootloader on the second drive if its present.

Yeah, I was think about that too. 

2 hours ago, Lipe123 said:

Also you don't have to reinstall anything, you can use free partition software to clone his existing install to the SSD and then power off and swap the drive out.

I want to have a clean install on his windows. I just want to be sure that there is no virus on the old hard drive because or no junk is on the new C drive.