Mx blues at all good for gaming?

I have no experience with mechanical keyboards, and have just bought one that is awaiting shipping. I originally got it with mx brown switches, but I am considering doing a last minute switch to blues before it ships. I want to use this keyboard for both typing and gaming, and mx blues seem like a good switch, especially with the satisfying click. Are MX blues at all good for gaming? I don't play super competitive games.

I used MX Blues for years, both for gaming and typing, and I loved them, but ultimately it's a matter of personal taste.

I would suggest buying a switch tester first and seeing for yourself which switches you like and don't like, and then making your final decision on what to go for in your keyboard. They're fairly cheap too.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

13 minutes ago, TheCultLeader said:

I have no experience with mechanical keyboards, and am considering buying one. I want to use this keyboard for both typing and gaming, and mx blues seem like a good switch, especially with the satisfying click. Are MX blues at all good for gaming? I don't play super competitive games.

It's a keyboard so it's going to be at least alright :p. But for reals mx blues are fine.

I prefer browns and blues to the traditional reds for gaming. The only issue I've had is that blues are not great for twitchy, fast-paced gaming because that damn click is so loud.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

MX Blues (and other click jacket switches) have hysteresis, which is a disadvantage if you need to repeatedly press a key fast. If you care about the switches, you might want to get a tester, and check out better switches than Cherry MX.

:)

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

MX Blues (and other click jacket switches) have hysteresis, which is a disadvantage if you need to repeatedly press a key fast. If you care about the switches, you might want to get a tester, and check out better switches than Cherry MX.

If you want clicky for gaming I recommend click bars from kailh, but if you like click jackets its all preference

2 minutes ago, mTopy said:

If you want clicky for gaming I recommend click bars from kailh, but if you like click jackets its all preference

For the keyboard I'm getting, the only options are MX reds browns blues and kailh speed silver copper bronze :(

1 minute ago, TheCultLeader said:

For the keyboard I'm getting, the only options are MX reds browns blues and kailh speed silver copper bronze :(

honestly my only thoughts are that I would go for the browns, but really its personal preference, so before you buy your next keeboard in a year or so try out something like this to get a feel of which types of switches you like, and also look a bit into customs, they are really expensive, but worth every penny in my eyes.

1 minute ago, mTopy said:

honestly my only thoughts are that I would go for the browns, but really its personal preference, so before you buy your next keeboard in a year or so try out something like this to get a feel of which types of switches you like, and also look a bit into customs, they are really expensive, but worth every penny in my eyes.

Like I said up at the top, my keyboard has already been bought, but the shipping is crazy delayed, so I'm deciding whether our not to change the order from browns to blues, as the clickiness of the blues is appealing to me. As I also said, the most competitive game I play is Minecraft bedwars, so I'm not exactly looking for whether or not I can play FPS shooters at esports level, I'm just looking for an all around good switch.

5 minutes ago, TheCultLeader said:

Like I said up at the top, my keyboard has already been bought, but the shipping is crazy delayed, so I'm deciding whether our not to change the order from browns to blues, as the clickiness of the blues is appealing to me. As I also said, the most competitive game I play is Minecraft bedwars, so I'm not exactly looking for whether or not I can play FPS shooters at esports level, I'm just looking for an all around good switch.

honestly I prefer blues,(but that is only my choice) because browns have very little of a tactile bump imo.

Blues are excellent as they are very hard to accidentally depress and you will ALWAYS know when you clicked them.  The click actuates *THROUGH* the point of electrical activation (the only difference is you can release and reactivate the activation without disengaging the click--that's because of the slider and thus your "hysteresis."  But the actual point of electrical activation distance from neutral doesn't actually change.

Browns, lacking this type of click slider, have the exact same point where activation and release happens, during travel, but no one here ever mentions that the electrical activation point of browns are **below** the bump point.  I remember mentioning this on the mk subreddit years ago and I believe I was the only person who ever mentioned this.  Because there is no slider, the point of the bump never changes, so the amount of pressure and travel to reactivate doesn't change either.  But if you are that careful to think you are activating (or releasing) at the point of traveling through the bump, you can get misclicks or non activations, so don't try to overthink it with browns.

Browns are a good switch but they are a lighter switch (same spring force as reds) which some people don't like, and some brown batches have had barely any bump feel to them at all, but i haven't tested any current batch brown/RGB in many years now.  Browns which feel like dirty reds are awful.

For people who like the consistency of browns, but who think browns are too light, the switch for them are MX Tactile Greys, which from what I remember are at least more tactile defined than browns.  Those are an 80g switch (I believe equal to MX Greens), and are perfect for people who hate anemic springs.  I do not know if MX Tactile Greys come in RGB.  I don't they they do.  They're as fringe as Linear Greys, which are the same 80g spring without the tactile bump.  If no one makes RGB tactile greys, the only way to get them in RGB is to buy standalone tactile greys and a RGB housing switch (like RGB Browns) and swap the springs and stems yourself.  I know there are non RGB keyboards with both tactile and linear greys.  There was even a "click grey" somewhere, which is a heavier version of a MX Green.  MX Greens are to MX Blues as Tactile Greys are to Browns, except the spring difference is larger.